Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keith Emerson’s B-Day November 2, 1944

Motif88

Let’s start the recognition of Keith’s birthday…so many things to say and share. He was truly incredible and had a profound impact on my life along with many others that share this site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P19BpRijJD4

• Like 2

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

"Ooh, what a Lucky Man he was!"

But just like the man in Greg Lake's lyrics, we find out in the last verse (and in his too), well... I guess he wasn't so lucky.

I've always respected his keyboarding skills; yet as I've gotten older and spent much more time learning many of his compositions and the fingering involved, I am now very impressed with his "stamina and focus" to maintain that high level of proficiency for a full concert.  I can do a fairly decent job on Hoedown, but to do that one and many others of his all really well and all in one sitting...  That, my friends, is very impressive.

Old No7

• Like 4

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I saw ELP in quad from way up in the atmospheric seats, where the weed smoke collected, ahem. I took opera glasses along and gaped at him playing "Improvisations." Migod, that sure looks like some fun to play. I thought "Wow, you could do that!" I immediately also thought "No you can't, Monkey Boy, but if you work at it, maybe you could come close." Its never really about becoming as stellar as a pro; its about the fires they light in us.

Besides, "In a glaze of Vaseline" is a great lyric! :keys:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

Indeed...

• Like 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

I still prefer the late 70's live versions of Pirates featuring the GX-1 to the orchestral version on Works Vol 1 including when I was fortunate enough to see ELP with the orchestra at Madison Square Garden as a young pup in 1977. Saw them again as a trio in 1978 and Keith was on fire playing Hammond and GX-1.

• Like 1

Using:

Sold/Traded:

• Like 1

Using:

Sold/Traded:

1 hour ago, jerrythek said:

Seems fitting to share these again:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/keith-emerson-tribute-jimi-hendrix-keyboard

Rest In Love, maestro.

Thanks for posting those again Jerry; it's a wonderful tribute to the maestro -- "Yet, we keep moving on..."

Old No7

• Like 2

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

23 hours ago, K K said:

Interesting what Palmer, Lake and Emerson answer when asked what they would be or do if not a musician.

There is a serious ground loop in that studio!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D