Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The last microsecond of a camera's life.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool! It's on my desktop now.

Reminds me of a George Carlin bit...

"You know those black boxes they put in airplanes that they find intact after the plane crashes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?"

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Neat shot. personally, I wouldn't have put $15,000 worth of gear close to where they were blowing shit up, but that's just me. YMMV. ;)

- Jeff

There is a huge "duh" factor there, no?

"I don't know about that, but I bet the story is worth a few free SanDisks!"

Although, now there's nothing to put them in...

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

It's not as crazy as it sounds.

If he get that picture syndicated in 500 newspapers all over the planet (which is quite likely, and probably many more), he will earn a lot more than he lost initially.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Neat shot. personally, I wouldn't have put $15,000 worth of gear close to where they were blowing shit up, but that's just me. YMMV. ;)

- Jeff

I've personally put a few NICE mics a bit too close to a drummer before. Not exactly an explosion, but the same level of stupidity.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by Hendmik:

I've personally put a few NICE mics a bit too close to a drummer before. Not exactly an explosion, but the same level of stupidity.

Oh yeah. Never put anything near a drummer. Mics, chandeliers, food, women and so on. ;)

- Jeff

Originally posted by Hendmik:

Oh yeah. Never put anything near a drummer. Mics, chandeliers, food, women and so on. ;)

- Jeff

Prepare to die, Weasel. :evil::D

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/g10000/g17489.jpg

This shot is of a bomb exploding on the deck of the USS Enterprise durring the battle of the Eastern Solomons on 24 August, 1942. According to the original photo caption, this explosion killed the photographer, Photographer's Mate 3rd Class Robert F. Read. However, Morison's "History of U.S. Naval Operations in World War II" (volume 5, page 97) states that Read was killed by the bomb that had earlier hit the after starboard 5"/38 gun gallery, which can be seen burning in the upper left. Morison further states that the bomb seen here exploded with a low order detonation, inflicting only minor damage. In any case, it's not a good idea to be too close to anything that explodes. I'd rather lose the camera than the photographer... especially if *I* am the photographer.

Cool shot! Reminds me of when I was involved with two test firings of the Reusable Solid Rocket Motor used on the Space Shuttle when I worked at Thiokol (they're the two slender, white tubes that separate from the shuttle after two minutes of flight). We set up a very expensive, ultra-high speed camera next to the nozzle to record the shock propagation coming down the bore of the missile as it was ignited. Cleverly (or so we thought) we mounted the camera at a 90-degree angle to the missile, and placed a large mirror at a 45-degree angle right in front of the nozzle, so the camera was staring up the bore of the motor periscope-style.

The footage was great, you could see the shock propagation coming down the bore and then the mirror disintegrating very quickly. Unfortunately the decibels and vibration of the motor destroyed the camera anyway. I've watched the two test shots from 3/4 mile away, and its the loudest sound I've heard in my life; my pantlegs were actually flapping behind me from the acoustics!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by Tedster:

If Read took this pic, how could he have been killed by the earlier explosion?

If he took the picture, then he wasn't killed in the earlier explosion. :) However, there's some debate about when he actually died. All we know for certain from US Navy records is that Read was KIA on that DATE... we don't know for certain exactly at what time. The Enterprise took three hits that day.

Here\'s a link that gives more information about the battle and sheds a bit more light on who probably took that photo. The photographer info is on page 2 (of three) of the linked article. :wave:

dammit... somewhere i saw some website that had a lot of "last footage ever" type stuff. Had video clips of wartime photographers biting it and stuff.

Some of it was really gruesome, and it kinda disturbed me, so i stopped going there to look... hrmm

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

In any case, it's not a good idea to be too close to anything that explodes.

yet, paprazzi continually took pictures of Frank Sinatra. And Sean Penn. Go figure.

Archived