Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VB3II 2023

Baldwin Funster

It's late and i just finished a show.  I reconfirmed again tonight that my current digital rig is the best i've ever owned. The centerpiece of my rig is the Gemini module.  For vintage sounds, rhodes, wurli, clav, hammond/leslie and the newest acoustic pianos and the horns (brass) it competes with anything available.  The cost is under $800 from Thomanns.  I can pair it with the controllers of my choice and coupled with my Kurzweil PC3's internal sounds I cant realistically see an upgrade path that would provide better sound.  The only improvement I wish for is a slightly better internal leslie on the Gemini, but i have it tweaked so that the Burn nor the Vent are no longer needed (although both are slightly better).

Having said all the above the only value-added improvement I can see Guido making is an internal leslie improvement on VB3-ii 2023.  The current hammond 'tone' is highly accurate even though it is 10 years old.  The percussion sounds right to me and the C/V is still the best of all of the clonewheels (IMHO). If he had a B3x-quality internal leslie I dont think anything could touch it.  So although there are supposed improvements in VB3ii 2023 the only thing i feel needs to be improved is the internal leslie, everything else is accurate enough that personally I wouldn't touch a thing.  If I attach a Vent to the current VB3-ii (or better yet a tube leslie) there is nothing that I would change. Sorry for the ramble, it is late....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

5 hours ago, Polychrest said:

Some nice tweaks and improvements to an already-superior product.  And it's free if you own a licensed version of the original VB3-II.   

I thought it was a 75 dollar upgrade... 

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I apologize for getting into clonewheel wars....I don't have VB3 but I do have Mojo module and also Viscount module.I just can't get the Mojo Leslie sim to work for me. The change from bypass to Leslie sim alters the percussion tone too much.....my opinion....my taste....there is too much high end peak during the spin. The Viscount on the other hand is much less extreme. And I don't have to monkey with it. I have suggested taking the percussion out of the spin....but I doubt this is going to happen. I like the Mojo without the sim on....it has excellent overdrive. The emulated Hammond tonewheel very well but I do not agree with what they think a Leslie should do or be. Too extreme!

14 minutes ago, mrk7421 said:

I apologize for getting into clonewheel wars....I don't have VB3 but I do have Mojo module and also Viscount module.I just can't get the Mojo Leslie sim to work for me. The change from bypass to Leslie sim alters the percussion tone too much.....my opinion....my taste....there is too much high end peak during the spin. The Viscount on the other hand is much less extreme. And I don't have to monkey with it. I have suggested taking the percussion out of the spin....but I doubt this is going to happen. I like the Mojo without the sim on....it has excellent overdrive. The emulated Hammond tonewheel very well but I do not agree with what they think a Leslie should do or be. Too extreme!

Just mail me the mojo module.   I don’t want to see it collect dust at your place.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

55 minutes ago, mrk7421 said:

apologize for getting into clonewheel wars....I don't have VB3 but I do have Mojo module and also Viscount module.I just can't get the Mojo Leslie sim to work for me. The change from bypass to Leslie sim alters the percussion tone too much.....my opinion....my taste....there is too much high end peak during the spin.

This guy is very active on the Mojo FB page- has some good tweaks. (apply to Classic or the Desktop)

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

2 hours ago, jpgxk3 said:

Hoping this version finds its way onto the support page as an update for Mojo 61.

I wouldn't count on it and here's why:

image.thumb.png.d11790806ca65405898c81003d8f44fe.png

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

As for updating vb3m, Guido replied to a similar wish on the GSI FB page.

He said no update was needed and vb3m was a finished product. I myself would like to see vb3m have the latency in android shaved down and I know it's possible because DRC is fast and so are a couple of other android standout apps. But the Guido has spoken.

FunMachine.

29 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

As for updating vb3m, Guido replied to a similar wish on the GSI FB page.

He said no update was needed and vb3m was a finished product. I myself would like to see vb3m have the latency in android shaved down and I know it's possible because DRC is fast and so are a couple of other android standout apps. But the Guido has spoken.

Well in that regard the question is at least partially what is the specific device capable of given the wide variety of Android devices.  

5 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Well in that regard the question is at least partially what is the specific device capable of given the wide variety of Android devices.  

Yes! - this is one of the benefits of Apple devices - all are "known" regarding specs, and devs can work securely in that knowledge...Android is like ubiquitous "box of chocolates"

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

1 hour ago, analogman1 said:

I updated and now it crashes and won’t open!

Hmmm. Restart the device.

Settings/General/Shut Down 

Wait 10-15 seconds to try restarting it.  

Check and make sure you are running most recent version of iOS.  If not, update.  

See if the app starts up.  If not, you can also try deleting and reinstalling. 

Ipad version is up. Free download,  licensing via in app purchase. $99.

That comparable to b3x pricing. I have downloaded it but not bought the license.  I will though. I'm a compulsive organ app buyer. Hey I don't collect cars, stamps or vintage paperclips. I gotta buy something...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FunMachine.

Even better... It looks like, similar to Pianoteq, you can get it free if you have the desktop version (well, 99 cents). So it's desktop AND iPad versions for your 100 bucks. I'm not sure if it works the other way as well... i.e. if you get the desktop version free if you've bought the iPad version. So to be safe, I'd buy the desktop version. Plus actually, that's better for Guido, if he doesn't have to give Apple their 30% or whatever.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

39 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Even better... It looks like, similar to Pianoteq, you can get it free if you have the desktop version (well, 99 cents). So it's desktop AND iPad versions for your 100 bucks. I'm not sure if it works the other way as well... i.e. if you get the desktop version free if you've bought the iPad version. So to be safe, I'd buy the desktop version. Plus actually, that's better for Guido, if he doesn't have to give Apple their 30% or whatever.

I dont know if I understand right but if you buy the desktop version and get the license for ipad free you can only Install 3 "installation slots". I believe your iPad counts as one. However the iPad purchase allows 6 uses via Apple friends and family sharing. Since I have 3 ipads and don't use any desktop daws for music production this may be more advantageous for me. 

FunMachine.

Sonics aside, for me, right away I see some advantages over B3X.

... the assignable drawbar CCs can be on different channels for upper and lower manual

... the notes below the lowest C don't send patch changes (not that that's necessarily bad on the B3X, but it should be defeatable without having to define zones on your controller)

... guido is far more responsive in terms of support/suggestions than IK is

Sonically, it should be the same as Mojo/Gemini, with the additional option of the existing Vb3m sound as well, so people's comparisons with B3X should align with how B3X compared to those others. Easy enough to check out for yourself since the free download lets you play it (it just cuts the sound out for 2 seconds at a time until you pay). No free demo for B3X on iPad, but you can evaluate it with the free demo of the VST version.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

56 minutes ago, drawback said:

Anyone downloaded yet? Comparison with B-3X? 

Downloaded, licensed on iPad. Got it on 3 ipads with one license. 

Short answer B3x is better. .

To me the leslie in vb3m is better.

Dont get me wrong vb3ii 2023 has alot of tweaks and probably 20 tone wheel sets with tweaks I didn't even know existed and I'm sure I will be able to optimize it for some good tones. But I got b3x sounding great so it's my favorite. I don't regret the purchase of vb3ii, sometime I am going to want a totally separate organ maybe to solve a conflict or something. Plus I like to support GSI. His MiniOrchestra was a gig saver for me.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

37 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

No free demo for B3X on iPad, but you can evaluate it with the free demo of the VST version.

I have B-3X and VB3m, and I like Hammond better (beginning with the core tone, which has more B3 "girth" for lack of a better word). The difference between those two, to me, is like the difference between a Hammond M with foldback and an A/B/C3. If the core sound hasn't changed (and like the Mojo61, it was basically the same throughout the 22 models), there would be little reason to change over, other than the powerful new interface. 

Here for the gear.

16 minutes ago, drawback said:

I have B-3X and VB3m, and I like Hammond better (beginning with the core tone, which has more B3 "girth" for lack of a better word). The difference between those two, to me, is like the difference between a Hammond M with foldback and an A/B/C3. If the core sound hasn't changed (and like the Mojo61, it was basically the same throughout the 22 models), there would be little reason to change over, other than the powerful new interface. 

VB3m is different from Mojo/Gemini. This new app brings the Mojo/Gemini implementation to iOS/iPad for the first time, so yes, the core sound has changed (though it also lets you switch to the VB3m model if you prefer it). Since you can try it for free, you might as well give it a go and see if your preference changes. I'd be curious to see if it does!

• Like 1