Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why Doesn’t Lachy Get Much Love From This Group?

HammondDave

5 hours ago, Adan said:

Can't talk about the history of vocalist / organ players without bringing Lee Michaels into it, though in my opinion Lee is more like a singer who also plays whereas Lachy is a player who also sings. And of course Greg Allman takes it even further in the direction of singing talent overshadowing all else.

Steve Winwood's great at both.

He started it all of course by writing that song.

Cheers, Mike.

13 hours ago, Adan said:

If we pretend for a moment that we really have to decide who's "best," who are his rivals? I wouldn't compare his to anyone playing jazz.  It has to be blues or blues-rock. I also wouldn't compare him to anyone who is not leading their own group. I you played like that in a supporting role your bandmates would tell you to chill out or split.

Can't talk about the history of vocalist / organ players without bringing Lee Michaels into it, though in my opinion Lee is more like a singer who also plays whereas Lachy is a player who also sings. And of course Greg Allman takes it even further in the direction of singing talent overshadowing all else.

Vocalist / organ players

If you are going to include organists who sing and share the stage with guitarists then you should also consider Gregg Rolie with both Santana and Journey (pre-Perry).

I thought it was going to be people leading their own group?

Gregg Allman was an Allman brother and the primary singer but Duane was the leader, a guitarist in this guitar-centric band. After Duane died Warren Haynes became band leader.