Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two really good customer service stories.

1) NewEgg. I recently bought a bunch of computer parts and assembled a reasonably fast Athlon64 system. The video card I bought was defective, though. Long story short, I went through their completely automated return authorization process and I was only out the cost of my shipping to them. They sent me 3 email status reports, and I could also check status at any time on their website. So basically, I got what amounts to the best customer service I've ever gotten on the internet, and it was because I never had to talk to a human being. Anyway, they are great.

2) US Music Corporation. They own Washburn, Randall, Oscar Schmidt, Eden, Soundtech, and Vinci...a very nice mix of boutique and common. Their most recent acquisition was Parker.

A little background: I have a Fly Deluxe, and I've been trying to have a ding on it (damn cleaning lady) repaired since 2001, but I never could get a email or phone call back. So when I saw that they had been acquired, I called US Music Corp to see what the deal was.

The day after talking to USM customer support, my Fly Deluxe was on its way to the repair shop. 2 days after receipt, they called me with an estimate that was beyond reasonable. Again, they kept me informed and at no time did I feel weird about where my guitar was going. Can't wait to get it back. It'll be interesting to see the quality of the repair.

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

zeronyne - I suppose you sent the Parker back to the factory, wherever that may be.

But did you know Washburn's headquarters are in Mundelein? They keep moving outward from Chicago. Originally they were in Wheeling (IIRC), then the Corporate Woods in Vernon Hills, now they're 10 miles further northwest in Mundelein. At this rate I figure they'll be in Lake Geneva by 2012. :D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

zeronyne - I suppose you sent the Parker back to the factory, wherever that may be.

But did you know Washburn's headquarters are in Mundelein?

Yep, I sent it to Mundelein. They moved all the Parker techs there. They didn't seem very happy about that, but they are trying hard to make it work.

I used to work for Washburn when they were in Arlington Heights roughly 1.2 million years ago.

Thanks for the report!

While we're all really eager to bitch about fairly-ubiquitous poor service, it's much more beneficial to us all to hear about GOOD service, so we know whom to patronize with confidence. For instance, I wouldn't have considered New Egg for some upcoming computer-related purchases, but I'm going to now! ;) Thanks!

Some of my favorite customer-service companies:

1. Tech 21

2. Webstrings

3. Mouser Electronics

The last two aren't "real" tests, because I've simply never had any problems with anything I've ever bought from them.

Tech 21 is the ONLY company I ever dealt with that backed up their product after the warranty period with fast service and problem resolution that came totally out of their own pocket.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

But did you know Washburn's headquarters are in Mundelein?

Yep, I sent it to Mundelein. They moved all the Parker techs there. They didn't seem very happy about that, but they are trying hard to make it work.

I used to work for Washburn when they were in Arlington Heights roughly 1.2 million years ago.

Where was Parker's previous factory? I wasn't aware if they were already in the Chicago area. Mundelein's not bad, but getting there from anywhere outside the immediate, Vernon Hills, Libertyville, Grayslake area is a PITA.

My father-in-law drives from Lake Villa, next to Fox Lake to Vernon Hills, around the corner from the previous Washburn corporate, and it takes him over an hour for a 10 - 15 mile commute in an area that is still pretty rural.

Glad you've had good customer service. I've found most MI manufacturers to be conscientious and on the ball regarding customer service. While I agree with Dennyf[/i] that we must shout from the hilltops the kudos for good customer service, I believe it is equally useful to share our bad or outright horrendous experiences as well, that others will not repeat them. ;)

My excruciating customer service story is about Kaman. I attempted to have my Takamine's broken headstock repaired. The tech was not only an authorized Takamine repairman, but a highly sought out luthier in Nashville (he works on guitars of many stars and session players in town and in LA) and the guy Kaman hired to setup their QC stations when their distribution left the Chicago and Atlanta areas and was combined just north of Nashville. They (Takamine) wouldn't sell him a new neck to replace my broken one. After calling in some favors they sent him an identical FP360 with a cracked top to get the neck. He steamed it for 3 days but it wouldn't release. Only then did someone at Tak finally tell him, an authorized repairman that they attach necks and bridges using epoxy. This means you cannot remove their necks or bridges for repair without solvents.. not what I want anyone soaking into the top of my guitar. :mad:

In the end, he repaired the cracked top and sold that instrument. He also steered me into my Blueridge, sold me an L.R. Baggs ribbon pickup and preamp, and managed to charge me a grand total of 2/3 the cost of the Tak. (I bought it during my tenure at GC.) And guess what? It smokes the Tak! :D

Before having another friend repair the Tak's headstock, I contacted Kaman several more times. Once I spoke to the manufacturer's rep when I worked at MARS. At no time did anyone return my calls or answer my questions about repairing the instrument.

I will never buy another Takamine instrument and I avoid other Kaman manufactured and distributed products.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have one more quickie.

I bought 5 M-Audio BX-8's back in April 2003. After about 4 months the tweeter on one of them went dead. I brought it back to Guitar Center, and they sent it to M-Audio. 17 day turnaround, and I was good to go.

So last week, I notice that the tweeter is hissing ever so slightly at the end of reverb trails and delays. I first thought it was my gear, but it happened on synths, my D/A, my effects, etc., and it wasn't happening in the other speakers. Grrr....

I call M-Audio expecting a major hassle, since it was over a year ago, the repair was sent by the store, etc. No hassle at all. They asked if I wanted to replace it myself to avoid the turnaround time. I said sure. They asked me to fax in my receipt and address, and that was it.

Sadly, every M-Audio piece I've owned has had some minor problem, but they always come through in the end, and that's worth the hassle for long term peace of mind.

Archived