Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sculpting a Hammond solo with the drawbars

niacin

With thanks to Old No.7, who wrote:

“I'm really impressed with how he sculpts the sound of his Hammond solo on this rendering of "Gimme Some Lovin" by using the drawbars OFTEN.  I dare say...

He uses the drawbars in that one solo MORE than some Hammond players will in one gig!”

So I’m looking for examples of Hammond solos that make use of the drawbars to build the solo.  Thx.

• Like 3

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

42 minutes ago, niacin said:

With thanks to Old No.7, who wrote:

“I'm really impressed with how he sculpts the sound of his Hammond solo on this rendering of "Gimme Some Lovin" by using the drawbars OFTEN.  I dare say...

He uses the drawbars in that one solo MORE than some Hammond players will in one gig!”

So I’m looking for examples of Hammond solos that make use of the drawbars to build the solo.  Thx.

Check out some John Medeski solos. He barely leaves them alone.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Ken Hensley's organ solo in Uriah Heep Gypsy Queen was the first time I heard rampant drawbar kanoodling.  The entire song stops in the middle of his solo. Solo starts at about 2:00, kanoodling at 4:00.

Then there's Fly Like an Eagle, though that is during the comping more than an actual solo.

• Like 2

Moe

---

Since a lot of this is used in prog, I can’t resist a more subtle drawbar build from one of my favorite prog Hammond players, Pete Robinson. Check out this awesome solo at 3:00. 

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

On 9/20/2023 at 2:09 PM, HammondDave said:

Since a lot of this is used in prog, I can’t resist a more subtle drawbar build from one of my favorite prog Hammond players, Pete Robinson. Check out this awesome solo at 3:00. 

Wow, that rocks!  Thanks for sharing -- I'll have to check out more of their music.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

People should look at the top guys in churches. Gospel players are at a different level and I have seen it while tagging along on service calls from a couple of master techs I know. 

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

6 hours ago, Old No7 said:

Wow, that rocks!  Thanks for sharing -- I'll have to check out more of their music.

Old No7

Quartermass was the ultimate Power Hammond Band in the 70’s. Pete Robinson was a huge influence on my playing.

Fun fact… Quatermass was the rhythm section for the original studio album of Jesus Christ Superstar. Bassist John Gustafson also sang the role of Simon on that record.

Peter Robinson went on to enjoy a very successful film composing career.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Peter_Robinson

A very talented group of musicians. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D