Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil MPS M1

UnderGroundGr

https://kurzweil.com/mps-m1/

No midi in/out...

• Like 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen,Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9,Osmose

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

It has USB midi, so there is midi functionality.

One thing that I've never quite understood is the acoustic piano that they've used.  Their most developed acoustic piano was put in the Forte, but subsequent keyboards, including the flagship K2700, use derivatives of the Forte rather than the full blown Forte piano.  There must be a technical reason for this and I'd love to understand why their most developed acoustic piano has never been used since the Forte. Makes me scratch my head.  Maybe @Dave Weiser  can help to resolve the mystery.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Curious on price point for this. I do like the Fatar TP110 overall, and the specs page says both USB midi and audio which is good. Never a fan of the wall-wart power supply. Agree on the earlier comment re: Kurzweil and their piano samples. My K2700 has decent pianos but none of them wowed me so thankfully was able to load my own samples.

Kronos 2 73, Nautilus 88, Matrixbrute, Logic, Pianoteq, NI Komplete

3 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

One thing that I've never quite understood is the acoustic piano that they've used.  Their most developed acoustic piano was put in the Forte, but subsequent keyboards, including the flagship K2700, use derivatives of the Forte rather than the full blown Forte piano.  There must be a technical reason for this and I'd love to understand why their most developed acoustic piano has never been used since the Forte. Makes me scratch my head.  Maybe @Dave Weiser  can help to resolve the mystery.

Since the Forte had 16 gb of wave data (via flashplay), and the K2700 has 4.6 gb, and everything below that less, it's probably simply the sheer size, the best Forte piano is probably quite large. Companies employ different technologies, and I believe Korg is the only other company so far offering multi-GB pianos in any of their keyboards.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

3 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

I find it frustrating because there's (IMO) a noticeable difference in quality between the K2700/PC4 and Forte - enough of one that I think I would be okay with a Forte for solo piano but, after owning a PC4 for several years, I can't say the same about the "optimized" samples the K2700/PC4 use. IMO one can clearly hear the differences in the video below.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

1 hour ago, jason88 said:

My K2700 has decent pianos but none of them wowed me so thankfully was able to load my own samples.

I’m curious about which piano sample set you loaded, as I’d love to load improved pianos on my PC4?

• Like 1

Kurzweil PC4, Expressive E Osmose, UNO Synth Pro, Hammond B-3X on iPad, Rhodes Mark II Stage 73, ART 710-A MK4s

14 minutes ago, Jwave said:

I’m curious about which piano sample set you loaded, as I’d love to load improved pianos on my PC4?

I've loaded the pianos below.  They are VERY different from the stock samples.  Super bright - lots of attack.  For live, I've found blending in these samples with the stock works well.  But sounds a bit unnatural (hey, it works for Elton John).

https://www.synthonia.com/marketplace/kurzweil-k2700-kw-edition-pianos-sound-bank-detail

41 minutes ago, Jwave said:

I actually bought the complete synthonia piano set, though only liked a few of them. Thankfully was able to tweak them: https://www.synthonia.com/marketplace/kurzweil/k2700/kurzweil-k2700-contemporary-complete-pianos-sound-bank-detail

Also using a Grandeur sample set that was made for the Kurz (I have NI Komplete) and that's my go to at the moment.  Still, would be a dream for Kurzweil to update the pianos for the K2700 but don't imagine that'll happen.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

after owning a PC4 for several years, I can't say the same about the "optimized" samples the K2700/PC4 use.

Yeah... "optimized" doesn't mean better, it means "we did the best we could within the more limited resources available on this model." So it is optimized for the smaller available space, but still inferior to the full sample set.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have to say that's one of the most charming promo videos I've seen.  Doesn't seem to have Kurzweil's best sounds or even close, but still pretty good for a consumer keyboard. I think this is the first time we've seen TP110 in a non-Numa keyboard, so that's a happy development, but it's still 39 lbs despite having an action that is compromised to lower overall weight, and that seems to be because it's got a fairly hefty internal speaker system.  Some people would say that's desirable if it means being able to play a coffee shop or small restaurant with no extra amplification.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

14 minutes ago, Adan said:

I have to say that's one of the most charming promo videos I've seen.  Doesn't seem to have Kurzweil's best sounds or even close, but still pretty good for a consumer keyboard. I think this is the first time we've seen TP110 in a non-Numa keyboard, so that's a happy development, but it's still 39 lbs despite having an action that is compromised to lower overall weight, and that seems to be because it's got a fairly hefty internal speaker system.  Some people would say that's desirable if it means being able to play a coffee shop or small restaurant with no extra amplification.

Actually the TP110 is also in the Kurzweil SP7 Grand :)  I had two earlier this year but returned both because they had damage/issues. Ugh.  But I did like the 110 overall.

I'm thinking I should start a current-generation Kurzweil piano sample thread since this discussion always comes up and veers into the PC4/K2700 samples regardless of the model at hand.

Edit: Done - https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/186611-master-thread-third-party-acoustic-piano-sample-options-for-kurzweil-pc4k2700forte-generation-boards/

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

12 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

Good question - why doesn't the flagship K2700 use the full samples from the Forte? My educated guess is that they couldn't get 16GB to work with the K2700's 256 polyphony. I remember dealing with similar polyphony vs sample memory issues in product meetings back when I worked for R&D. I know that if they COULD have done the full sample set, they WOULD have. 

BTW anyone here can feel free to hit me up for my custom sound set for Forte, K27 and PC4. I've got some nice tweaks to the pianos, some for playing in a dense mix, some meant for solo playing. The set also includes more/better EPs, lots of analog synths, more/better strings and a few sounds that I made for big rock acts and Broadway shows. weiserdav@gmail.com

• Like 2

On 9/14/2023 at 10:55 AM, jason88 said:

I actually bought the complete synthonia piano set, though only liked a few of them. Thankfully was able to tweak them: https://www.synthonia.com/marketplace/kurzweil/k2700/kurzweil-k2700-contemporary-complete-pianos-sound-bank-detail

Thanks, I think I’ll try a Synthonia piano - do you remember which one(s) you liked?

• Like 1

Kurzweil PC4, Expressive E Osmose, UNO Synth Pro, Hammond B-3X on iPad, Rhodes Mark II Stage 73, ART 710-A MK4s

4 hours ago, Jwave said:

Thanks, I think I’ll try a Synthonia piano - do you remember which one(s) you liked?

They were all decent, but a couple I thought were too thin or had too much noise/hiss in the samples.  For me the Fazioli and KW sets were the ones I liked most. I think there are some decent examples of each on their YouTube to listen before you buy.  In general I think they all leaned to the brighter side of things compared to the stock Kurzweil pianos.

• Like 1

Fun Facts About Kurzweil Music Systems: 

Founded in 1982 by Stevie Wonder (musician), Ray Kurzweil (innovator) and Bruce Cichowlas (software developer). Kurzweil was a developer of reading machines for the blind, and their company used many of the technologies originally designed for reading machines, and adapted them to musical purposes. Kurzweil's first instrument, the K250, was released in 1983. The company was acquired by Young Chang in 1990. HDC acquired Young Chang in 2006 and in January 2007 appointed Raymond Kurzweil as Chief Strategy Officer of Kurzweil Music Systems.  

HDC is a South Korean company, as is Young Chang. HDC started out as Korea Urban Development and the following year established Halla Construction that eventually merged with Korea Urban Development. They changed the English name of the company to Hyundai Development Company. In 1999, they separated from Hyundai Group. HDC has established several other companies over the years, the most recent being HDC LABS Co., Ltd. (Merger between HDC I-CONTROLS and HDC I-SERVICE) in 2021. In 2022, they had Assets worth (KRW) 2.3 trillion. They have an Operating Margin of 63.0%. An Operating Profit of (KRW) 37.5 billion. And a Net Profit of (KRW) 69.9 billion = $51,902,723. So they obviously have the financial resources to expand and improve Kurzweil Music Systems products, as evidenced by their newest Workstation/Synthesizer Flagship, the K2700 and the SP7 Grand/Stage Pianos & the PC4/76-key Performance Controllers. I'm looking forward to more great keyboard products from Kurzweil in the future. In the next iteration of the K-series, I'd like to see an onboard Sampler with an improved sample editing process. And please give it the best Ac. Pianos Kurzweil has to offer. Once Roland, Korg, Kurzweil, etc., hear the new Montage M Grand Piano(s) they're going to have to raise the bar on their own Flagship products in my opinion. Clavia too, most likely.