Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Ever done any home remodeling?

So I just finished building 2 walls and installing 2 sets of French doors in a friend's house. He doesn't have lots of cash, and the property is destined to be a rental. I'm not trying to get rich or gouge, but want to be compensated fairly.

What's a fair price for hourly labor for this type of job? Doors were pre-hung, I installed studs and sheetrock/compound/tape for the new walls across an existing opening, and then the doors, moulding, trim, knobs/hardware, etc.

I am just talking about a price for the labor, exclusive of materials.

Any home pros/semi-pros out there? Any ideas?

Thanks to you all!

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, You did all this withou an agreement in place? Don't be upset if you get paid squat.

As to what you want to charge, that depends strictly on what you feel your time is worth and how good a friend this person is.

As an example, not construction, I twisted wrenches for a living for too damned long. I was asked many times to work under the table, after my normal work day or on weekends. My answer to my customers was always they could have the job done cheaper in the shop, at those rates, than on my time which I deemed to be worth at least as much as the shop rate and the fact that shade tree work always takes more time to accomplish the same task. Invariably they saw that as a truth. Hell, after 10-12 hour days I damned sure didn't want to twist more wrenched, not even on my own stuff.

Now, there were friends for whom I would make an exception for, primarily because they were friends but always at an agreed upon labor cost, with them furninshing parts, running parts & etc, and HELPING. I also had some friends I helped out gratis because they were very close friends. Those deals usually had the friend furnish the parts, do some of the work to learn how to do it, provide beverages & etc. Those, because there was no pre work agreement as to charges, weren't expected to be re-imbursed for time.

Relative? Always nearly always got charged after one or two help-outs.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

DC, Dak- Thanks so far.

Dak- The guy is an acquaintance from my day job.

We had a loose agreement, I know that I'll get paid. I'm just trying to determine how much.

Thanks again.

Peace,

wraub

Originally posted by wraub:

DC, Dak- Thanks so far.

Dak- The guy is an acquaintance from my day job.

We had a loose agreement, I know that I'll get paid. I'm just trying to determine how much.

Thanks again.

Peace,

wraub

Cool, with that in mind the previous suggestion to base your charge on a percentage of what a licensed contractor would charge is the best way to go, as long as you have an idea of what YOUR time is worth. :D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

iffen you want a fair price to be paid to you then take the complete cost of all materials YOU installed;lets say its a hunner'd fiddy smacks for all the wood and nails and whatnot.

DOUBLE THAT and there is your Finish price.

your end is a hunner'd and fiddy. If the HOMEOWNER HELPS ITS TWICE THAT PRICE.

lets hope you got paid a hunnerd' bucks a day.

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

how many hours over how many days did it take you to do this job?

i installed a floor(2.5 hrs) today. (150 square foot/ ceramic)last week i spent an hour in the room putting down the sub floor. I will bill that out for $600. my helper will get $50 after he grouts the floor.

$550. for 3.5 hours of work. (skilled labor)

$50 for 5 hours of work. (grout boy)

don't give it away. i doubt you could find any licensed contractor in Brooklyn to do that job for less then $1500.

If the door costs $300.00 I charge $300.00 for the install, same thing with windows.

I charge $2.50 per SQ.FT. for ceramic tile installation, includign grout, on a concrete floor, if is a wood floor and I have to install the backing board, is a diferent story, if is a friedn of mine a try to make anough to cover my day, usually $100.00-$150.00 [i live in Dallas, TX,, so labor charges may vary in different p[arts of the country.

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Originally posted by eh steve:

how many hours over how many days did it take you to do this job?

Eh,

The work was done on weekends, as time was available. Total was 45 hours over 4 days, 2 people.

This was to frame 2 partition walls, hang the 2 French door units, sheetrock/tape/compound, install door hardware (mortising slide locks, etc), trim moulding and baseboards.

The homeowner paid for all materials, but I have what I think is a good estimate of his costs.

ViLo,

would that $300.00 price you mentioned be for the door install only, or would that cover all the other stuff as well?

Thanks again to all.

Peace,

wraub

Originally posted by wraub:

ViLo,

would that $300.00 price you mentioned be for the door install only, or would that cover all the other stuff as well?

Thanks again to all.

Peace,

wraub

It will cover, making the opening, framing it, including the 2x6 [or 2x8] double header, inside and outside trim, no materials. But you can always charge from 50.00 to 75.00. dollars more to pay your helper and to cover in case something goes wrong [broken glass, etc...] But if is a friend like I said befre I try to make enough to cover my day and my helpers day.

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Archived