Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Experimenting with New Plugins

So yesterday I started writing something new...it was going good until I added the violins, they fit the music perfectly but they definitely remind me of a melody line from a very famous group! Needless to say I'm probably abandoning the project  ;)  So just for kicks I threw some newer plugins on the master buss to play with them. I have, in order- Pulsar Audio 8200, then Pulsar Audio Massive, then Plugin Alliance Amek Mastering Compressor, and finally iZotope 10 Vintage Limiter in analog mode. Kind of overkill for a song that's not finished and not mixed at all other than some panning and volume changes. I also used UAD PolyMax that I got for free  :)

I'm calling this Still(New Beginnings Part II)... Still(New Beginnings Part II)

Bill

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

It is important to experiment with plugins and sounds you can get using them. The variety available is huge and impossible do sum up in a cohesive document. 

Simple things like the difference in running in series on a single track or in parallel on multiple tracks change things profoundly, the order the plugins are sequenced in a series array can make a big difference and this is to say nothing of all the adjustments that many plugins offer, the variables are infinite. 

So, goof around and learn!!!! That's what I do, I think it's what most of us do. 

I think you should keep your composition and consider other approaches to mixing it. You've got all the tracks playing simultaneously all the way through. Consider bringing some tracks in as others disappear, open it up a bit with more transitions. It's nice work!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 9/13/2023 at 12:44 PM, Paul Vnuk Jr. said:

I just watched a video interview with Steven Wilson where he mentions how one of his favorite things to do it to open up plugins he is unfamiliar with and just see what happens.

I always assumed that's how most people did it. How else do you get a feel for it?

'Course I sometimes open those I am familiar with and see what happens too.... 

On 9/16/2023 at 5:56 PM, bill5 said:

I always assumed that's how most people did it. How else do you get a feel for it?

'Course I sometimes open those I am familiar with and see what happens too.... 

The possibilities are endless, we can use a plugin designed for vocals on bongos or we can use the weirdest, most wrong preset on a bass (or something). 

It's part of the fun of plugins but you have to keep a sense of humor about it. 

1 hour ago, bill5 said:

I think you also know when to say when. :)  "Analysis paralysis" is a thing

My way of avoiding that is to just go crazy and do a bunch of ridiculous things all at once. 

Then I go away and come back days later to see if any of it has any merit. 

Sometimes it does. 

I feel like trying to make everything sound "good" is just as dangerous. You'll think you nailed it and then... yikes!!!! :keynana:

• Like 1

I've fallen prey to borderline Gear Hoarderism until it tripped me up. These days, I'm so keen on finding the next right note that my plug-in cupboard stays, if not bare, then certainly austere. Unless I develop a serious need, I keep remembering the early comment that a laser was "a solution looking for a problem." Its semi-easy to know when you need a new synth. With effects, it can be a lot more subtle. That one esoteric function can make it seem more vital. It takes discernment & self-discipline. Who needs THAT, I'm doing synth stuff!

I took up a freebie widener to give a couple of my mono voice things a broader image. I also bought Valhalla's delay when they thoughtfully made Massive a freebie. I sometimes flavor with those instead of Logic's stock tools. I was leaning toward Sugar Bytes' Turnado for a time, but decided that I preferred automating things more surgically. It was a work flow decision. I'm also trying to keep 15 synths spinning in the air at once, almost all of which offer at least basic effects. Its funny to realize that youse guys debating it has a lot to do with me keep MY house cleaner! :Python:    

• Like 1

“Drugs at our age?
 You don’t have to take them forever.
 Once you’ve opened the doors of perception,
  you can see what’s going on; you’ve got the ideas.”
        ~ Dave Brock on Hawkwind’s late-period purple patch

• 4 weeks later...

Started a new piece last week and worked some more on it today...far from finished, needs guitar solos..french horns and tuba...etc. So anyways I wanted a copy for my phone and tablet so I threw some plugs on the master buss- Pulsar Audio 8200, Plugin Alliance Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor(Red), and then Oxford Limiter. Next export to .wav and I opened it in Sound Forge where I furthered my experiment...this time iZotope Vintage Tape and iZotope Vintage Limiter. The end result is here-

https://www.reverbnation.com/daylight/song/34190708-going-homewip-no-gtr-solo

Apologies for if you sit through this but I had fun! :)

Bill

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!