Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording in town hall with hardwood floors

I am discussing having a "concert" in my old hometown in a couple of months. I have written a lot of songs about this town and characters that lived there. It would be in the American Legion "hut." It's kind of like a town hall. Hardwood floors, I think it has wood panel walls. It could probably seat 150 people easy.

I was wondering about trying to get a good live recording of this performance. If it turned out okay, it could be a "live record." I'd have to hire somebody to do it that knows what they're doing cuz I sure don't. Someone who knows live recording.

Does the "wood everywhere" present an insurmountable hurdle to get quality recordings? If you are recording through the mixer, do the room acoustics matter?

What do you think about doing this twice. I mean, say, Friday and Saturday nights. So I would have two shots at having a decent recording on each song.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Does the "wood everywhere" present an insurmountable hurdle to get quality recordings?

Not Necessarily... Sounds like the Legion Hall in my hometown, which has great acoustics.

If you are recording through the mixer, do the room acoustics matter?

not so much... but it would be wise to have at least a stereo pair of mics out in the room to capture the room acoustics and also the crowd.

What do you think about doing this twice. I mean, say, Friday and Saturday nights. So I would have two shots at having a decent recording on each song.

You might want to record after your soundcheck, but before there is an audience as well. It will be a different dynamic, but if it comes out as a better performance, you can always add the crowd response later with some studio magic...

Kris

My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04

It will certainly record decently unless there are other issues in the room layout, but if it's a generic rectangular room with a few nooks and crannies, a bar & etc to break up the reflections it'll be good to go.

Now you need to decide how you want to record the gig, how many tracks & etc, or if you want to do a mix to stereo. If the latter, definately mix in the ambient room sound. You can get a decent recording with the outs from the mixer and a couple of additional mics going direct to the recorder mic ins, all blended to taste and going to stereo.

It would be better to track at least four tracks if you're doing strictly solo work and depending on how many instruments you have plugged in, unless you want to plug an dunplug as you go. I'd rather plug everything in and turn a knob or move a slider. Essentially, you want vocals and instruments, both line out and miked, as well as the ambient room, so if you are solo with a guitar you need at least 5 inputs to the mixer.

Now Duke, this is for a very basic recording setup that will get the job done. A bunch of pros should be weighing in here soon to give you much deeper input into what you can do, and use, to get a good recording too but this basic system does get reasonable recordings from live gigs.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by daklander:

Now Duke, this is for a very basic recording setup that will get the job done. A bunch of pros should be weighing in here soon to give you much deeper input into what you can do, and use, to get a good recording too but this basic system does get reasonable recordings from live gigs.

This would be a once in a lifetime event. I mean, I'm talking about debuting songs about this town and its characters and of course, debuting me since most of these people have never heard me. So, it could go over extremely well. Assuming I have the material. And based on gigs here (where nobody knows me nor the characters and the songs are just standing on their own), I think I do.

So, what I'm saying is that if this went great and the recordings were great, it literally could be a live record. I am not sure if this would be me solo or with band at this time. Probably not solo. I am almost positive, that, if nothing else, I would have some acoustic accompaniment such as another guitar, fiddle, harp, maybe some percussion. Then again, it might even be a full band, since some of these, they are pretty fun with a full band.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Ok let's get back to the music here Duck. What happened to the links to your music? You keep talking about all these things you're getting ready to do, projects you might do. What are you really doing?

Have you really ever played a gig?

I hate to pick on you man, but you've been doing this for years now. You're... getting ready to do something.

I think maybe you need to deal with.....who you are.....before you start thinking about playing music.

What do you want to accomplish with your music?

Everyone here has advised you over, and over, and over, about basic concepts of music production, and this and that, and yet you still want to come across as a newbie. Fuck man, you should know a lot of stuff by now. You can't stay in that perpetual newbie stage, and that's what you're wanting to do.

Take the knowledge you've gained here and use it, instead of continually putzing around and that's exactly what you're doing.

You're NOT a newbie anymore. We've told you, over and over, how to accomplish what you want to do, and at this point you're just spinning your wheels.

What is the point of talking about all these theoretical situations? I might do this, I might do that. What are you doing? What happened to the links to your music?

Are we supposed to NOT notice that you're asking the same questions you asked two years ago.

You know what? That's why I stopped responding to your threads about music, and about anything really, because I would give you all this knowledge that it took me a long time to learn, or I would tell you the way I felt about something, and you would totally disregard it, and come back two weeks later with the same, or a similar question. You really have been doing this for years now.

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Ok let's get back to the music here Duck. What happened to the links to your music? You keep talking about all these things you're getting ready to do, projects you might do. What are you really doing?

I hate to pick on you man, but you've been doing this for years now. You're... getting ready to do something.

I think maybe you need to deal with.....who you are.....before you start thinking about playing music.

Everyone here has advised you over, and over, and over, about basic concepts of music production, and this and that, and yet you still want to come across as a newbie. Fuck man, you should know a lot of stuff by now. You can't stay in that perpetual newbie stage, and that's what you're wanting to do.

Take the knowledge you've gained here and use it, instead of continually putzing around and that's exactly what you're doing.

You're NOT a newbie anymore. We've told you, over and over, how to accomplish what you want to do, and at this point you're just spinning your wheels.

What is the point of talking about all these theoretical situations? I might do this, I might do that. What are you doing? What happened to the links to your music?

Are we supposed to NOT notice that you're asking the same questions you asked two years ago.

You know what? That's why I stopped responding to your threads about music, and about anything really, because I would give you all this knowledge that it took me a long time to learn, or I would tell you the way I felt about something, and you would totally disregard it, and come back two weeks later with the same, or a similar question. You really have been doing this for years now.

I figured it was about time for you to chime in and berate me, Steve. Several months ago I told you to fuck off. It's laughable for you to say I have a problem. You are so fucking insecure, man, it's so obvious.

Why do you feel you need to police the forum from ANYONE much less someone like me who tries to be polite to everyone. Who the fuck to you think you are? You're a fucking loser, man.

You call me Duck, you said "I hate that shit" when I posted a lyric about my father. You berated me in several posts. You said I am a poser. Haha, that is hilarious. I have 300 completed songs in three years of songwriting. I now have about 30 or 30 demo's done, some in studio, some rough. I am gigging. Plenty of people have heard some demos of me. Watch me, motherfucker. OTOH, fuck off, Steve. Go see a shrink.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Steve, do you actually think that I want your fucking knowledge? Why would you have that idea after I told you over a year ago to fuck off, that you stay out of my threads and I'll stay out of yours because it's obvious you don't like me. I could not care less what you have to say or think. Fuck off.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Duke, I'm afraid you won't have a clue how this recording will turn out until you're in the room. The amount of reflections your mics pickup will determine just how good a recording is possible. If a whole band is involved then you will get room sound in the mics. The only key I can give you is, the quieter your stage volume, the better the recording will be. Unfortunately, that can alter the quality of the band's performance. Plus, the drummer can only pull back so muck. If he doesn't have a relatively light foot, then drums will bleed into every track.

Live recordings are tricky, and the best way to accomplish them is for the recording setup to have its' own split off the snake for each mic. If this is not possible, I wouldn't put too much money into making a recording at this gig, given all the unknown variables. Perhaps, if the mixing console has a separate aux send or two available then you can create a mono or stereo mix. Beware, however, that if the mic/instrument channels are eq'd to compensate for feedback issues on specific channels, then the aux mix will almost certainly reflect those modifications.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I'm not berating you man, maybe it's just the way you come off online, but it seems like you've been asking the same questions, in different forms, for almost three years now. If you have all this music, let's hear it, and let's talk about it. Let's talk about something real.

You just seem to me to be living in a dream world, and the only way I know that is because I used to do the same thing. It's great to dream, and plan, talk about things, but......where's the finished product? What is all this conversation leading to?

Duck, that's funny man. Didn't you ever see The Clint Eastwood movie, The Unforgiven? That's where that comes from, the Richard Harris character in that movie called himself The Duke of Death, and then The Sheriff beat him down, and called him The Duck of Death, just a little play on words.

Wise up man.

Thanks, Kris, Dak and Neil. Uh, fuck off Steve.

I guess I have another alternative I have thought of. There is a coffeehouse here that I have played at and they have everything hooked into a little recording studio. It's actually quite cool. I had him record three of the songs I played last week. I'm awaiting his mix, so, I haven't heard it yet.

But this coffeehouse here, it can hold 80 people easy. I could also do a live recording there that the "engineer / soundman" can record the gig. It's actually quite ideal. The only difference is the other place is in my hometown, which is where this "concert" would be held. I can get a LOT of people there and it will be a blast, as the real people (or their heirs) :cry: in my songs would be there.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I'm not berating you man, maybe it's just the way you come off online, but it seems like you've been asking the same questions, in different forms, for almost three years now. If you have all this music, let's hear it, and let's talk about it. Let's talk about something real.

Steve, you don't seem to understand. I said Fuck Off. F-U-C-K-O-F-F. Sure, you're berating me. I have no desire of providing you with my music. I have contacted several people on this forum about listening to demos. You are not one of those people and I certainly don't owe you one fucking thing. See a shrink, Steve.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

You know......I wish I could make you smarter than you are, but I can't. I guess you don't realize that you have asked.... almost the same questions, over and over, for years now.

You want to be a perpetual newbie, because you think that affords some special treatment or leeway. Unfortunately for you, my friend, pretty much everybody here is onto you.

The fact is, I have never cursed you, and yet....... you have repeatedly cursed me, and only because I called you on your bullshit, which nobody else here seems to have the balls to do. I think at one time you said you were going to kick my ass. Yeah...like that would happen.

You're an angry, sick, old man, bring it.

Me and you are about the same age BTW.... you're the one who came on all aggressive, with the FUCK YOU's, and get out of my shit. I'm just trying to talk to you Duke. I don't dislike you. I don't even know you, nor do you know me.

You've done some weird things here, like asking for money for musical projects, and for charity, and I just want you to know, if you fuck with any of my friends, and I find out about it, we will meet in real life, believe it.

Me and you are about the same age BTW.... you're the one who came on all aggressive, with the FUCK YOU's, and get out of my shit. I'm just trying to talk to you Duke. I don't dislike you. I don't even know you, nor do you know me.

You are so full of shit. You are not trying to be my friend and you know goddamn well you aren't. Or maybe you don't. Maybe you are that fucked up.

Repeat: You called me a poser and posted a very derogatory post. Like you're my daddy or think you own this forum. Fuck off.

Later, I posted a lyric about my p.o.w. dad and you said "I hate that shit." I am almost positive that's when I said Fuck You in a very demonstrative manner and that I hadn't been in a fight in countless years but if there was ever a time I would whip somebody's ass, it would be then. It's fine to say you don't care for something but "I hate that shit," especially THAT song, that showed you have zero class. And by the way, the song is one of my most requested songs.

You've done some weird things here, like asking for money for musical projects

False. But if I did, it's none of your business if I did. I have made posts about raising money and there has been some good discussions. Fuck you.

and for charity

False. For awhile, I posted a link in my sig for donations for a friend of mine's child who has spina bifida. Fuck you.

and I just want you to know, if you fuck with any of my friends, and I find out about it, we will meet in real life, believe it.

Your problem is far more serious than I thought. I try to be polite to everyone but if you attack me, which you have done on numerous occasions, I will fight.

How many goddamn times do I have to say I know nothing about recording or gear. I'm probably just slower than you. That's certainly possible. In almost exactly three years time, I have written 300 completed songs and about 500 unfinished ones and about 1,000 song ideas. When they come, I drop everything and write. And then go back to trying to figure out how to run equipment that I know nothing about. BTW, I am only repeating this in case some of my nice friends on here see this post. To say again where I come from. Because I really don't care to have dialogue with you. Ever.

As for this thread, just stay the fuck out. There's no need to berate me. This thread had a very specific question. And some nice guys responded with great answers. It's a very worthwhile question about a room with hardwood everywhere and trying to do a quality, live recording. I don't want your answers. Ever.

Regarding recorded songs, I have posted links to songs on here on numerous occasions. You have even heard some of them because you made a comment, which was probably smartass, who knows... that I sound like Willie Nelson. I don't think I sound like Willie Nelson but that's fine. Point is, you heard some demos of mine. At one point, after I posted a link to about forty recorded original songs that I had recorded (many months ago, maybe over a year ago), someone on here said, Boy, you sure showed that Wewus guy, didn't you!

I recorded three demos Friday, four Saturday, three Sunday. I wrote two songs Friday, one Saturday, one Sunday and one today. I am in turbo songwriting mode and have been for three years. I don't like you. Why should I? There is nothing I like about you. You act like a 12 year old. About 95% of the posts I have seen from you are beyond silly. I don't participate in your threads and I just wish you would disappear and leave me alone. There is nothing I need, nor want, from you.

See a shrink, man.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

If you really want to get someone to do the remote recording who really knows what they are doing, which is a great idea, try asking here

http://gearslutz.com/board/forumdisplay.php3?s=&daysprune=&forumid=21

Which is the remote recording forum at gearslutz.com if that link don't work.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Duck, I mean Duke.(if you haven't seen Unforgiven, check it out) I'm not sure why I pick on you, well I am, but it's a long story, and you're right, I am kind of a psycho, but it's not my fault. :D The fact is I agree with you about a lot of things, for instance, we both have similar views on established religion.

If you didn't know who I was and we met, we'd probably get along fine. I really do think you sound a bit like Willie Nelson, BTW.

You could consider your interactions with me here, as training for the music business, because there are some really mean bastards out there, ya know. So.....anyway I apologize for treating you badly, and I hope you'll accept that, and I'll try to stay out of your way, but I'm not making any promises.

When I told you those lyrics sucked, you were soliciting opinions. You specifically said, if you think it sucks, then you could deal with it. You couldn't deal with it, so why'd you say that?

If you're flying to Charlotte to kick my ass I'll meet you at the airport. I'm a black guy, I work as a skycap in front of The ATA counter.

What's an oponion?

I used to think I was Libertarian. Until I saw their platform; now I know I'm no more Libertarian than I am RepubliCrat or neoCON or Liberal or Socialist.

This ain't no track meet; this is football.

If you'd like more quality posts like this please recommend that MusicPlayer.com "Show me the money".
Let's hope they don't.

(While this may not be as interesting as the ongoing melodrama...)

The three things I'd keep in mind for this kind of recording -- whether you're actually going to do it or not -- are:

1) The natural reverberation of the room

The danger is that the room is going to be too reverberant, so you'll want to place your mics close to the instruments, closer than you'd like. Make some time before the performance to do some mic tests (or ideally, the day before). See how close you can get without getting too close. Unless the room has an awfully good sound, you'll do better to mic close and then add a fantastic reverb during editing. It's just a compromise you have to make to get useable results in less than ideal accoustics.

2) Traffic

Traffic outside the hall can polute the recording. I was once asked to produce a group for a semi-live CD (we planted an audience in the room just to give it a "live" feel). We ended up moving the location from a great location sound-wise (a nice little church, actually), to a less-good location sound-wise (which meant moving the mics in a little closer) just to get away from the blasted traffic outside.

3) Audience

The audience shouldn't be too close to the musicians / mics, and should understand how to behave so that don't muck up the recording.

Dooby Dooby Doo

Archived