Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

Geoff Grace

8 minutes ago, ProfD said:

My 1st thought especially when K Tyler Bass has been fairly automatic all season long.

Really thought KC was doomed after that red zone turnover and allowing Bills offense to run up and down the field.

Ravens will be going to the Super Bowl for sure especially if the Chiefs defense remains that porous in the run game.😎

I'm thinking the same.  Ravens have a great rushing attack.

46 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:
1 hour ago, ProfD said:

Ravens will be going to the Super Bowl for sure especially if the Chiefs defense remains that porous in the run game.😎

I'm thinking the same.  Ravens have a great rushing attack.

Well yeah, when you have a running back doubling as a QB.

NFL has traditionally adapted to shut that down, unless this is a new era, which it could be given his longevity of success with the Ravens.   One could make the argument that Lamar is the new breed of QB, but I would respectfully point to his post season record in the last 4 years.    Will he change the nature of the game or go the way of Dak, not being able to win when it counts.   I guess the next two weeks will write the tale.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

35 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

NFL has traditionally adapted to shut that down, unless this is a new era, which it could be given his longevity of success with the Ravens.   One could make the argument that Lamar is the new breed of QB, but I would respectfully point to his post season record in the last 4 years.    Will he change the nature of the game or go the way of Dak, not being able to win when it counts.   I guess the next two weeks will write the tale.

Gus Edwards has been a productive RB for the Ravens.   Justice Hill has also been deadly as a change of pace RB.  Edwards and Hill have combined for about 1800 rushing yards for 2023.    Stats are one thing but I've watched these guys play and both RBs pose legit threats to that Chiefs D which already had a reputation of being a bit soft against the run before this playoff game against the Bills.

If the Chiefs DC believes all he has to do to shut down the Ravens' running game is focus on Lamar, Edwards and Hill will have a nice romp at the Chiefs' expense.  I've seen games in which Lamar barely ran with the ball, and was content to hand off to Edwards/Hill and shred the opposing D with passes to his receivers.

As for Lamar Jackson he hasn't played in the playoffs for at least 2 years.  Huntley has had to play for him both times.  

I'd consider Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes both to be new breed QBs and one of them for sure is a proven winner in all possible scenarios.

11 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

One could make the argument that Lamar is the new breed of QB, but I would respectfully point to his post season record in the last 4 years.    Will he change the nature of the game or go the way of Dak, not being able to win when it counts.   I guess the next two weeks will write the tale.

Bills QB Josh Allen plays a similar style.  He's in the same boat considering his team has lost 4 divisional final games.

IMO, the Ravens relied on QB Lamar Jackson's running ability too much in prior years.  The team has finally given him healthy weapons at RB, WR and TE.

Regardless,  QBs Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen will have HOF careers regardless of whether they win a Super Bowl or not.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

17 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Gus Edwards has been a productive RB for the Ravens.   Justice Hill has also been deadly as a change of pace RB.  Edwards and Hill have combined for about 1800 rushing yards for 2023.

I have Hill:  387 yds (3 TDs)   Edwards: 810 yds (13 TDs);    Total 1197 yds.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

8 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Regardless,  QBs Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen will have HOF careers regardless of whether they win a Super Bowl or not.

Win, or appear in?   Nearly all HOF QBs at least appear in, except for Moon and Fouts, who neither should be anywhere near the HOF.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

10 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

I have Hill:  387 yds (3 TDs)   Edwards: 810 yds (13 TDs);    Total 1197 yds.

Ok you got me on Hill because I read career stats vs 2023, but I still say if you're the Chiefs DC and you think all you need to do to stop the Ravens rushing attack is make Lamar stay in the pocket, you're in for a long day.   

Believe or not, Lamar actually does hand off to his RBs, and more often than you think.

1 minute ago, GovernorSilver said:

Ok you got me on Hill because I read career stats vs 2023, but I still say if you're the Chiefs DC and you think all you need to do to stop the Ravens rushing attack is make Lamar stay in the pocket, you're in for a long day.

No matter what, the Chiefs are in for a long day.  I think the Coach and DC have lost a step.  Not to mention the distractions.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Admittedly losing Keaton Mitchell hurt the Ravens a bit.  He was the one that tore up the Seahawks, not Hill, in one of the games I watched.   Nearly 140 yards on only 9 carries, including the 60 yarder.    He's the reason Gus Edwards did not finish 2023 as a 1000 yd. rusher.  Still, the facts simply do not support the argument that the Raven's rushing attack just Lamar Jackson.   Edwards plus Hill combined for 1000 rushing yards for 2023 - that's 1000 yards of rushing production that did not come from Lamar Jackson.   And that doesn't even include Michell's rushing production.

Lamar can and should take advantage of any obvious running lanes the Chiefs allow - just like fellow alleged "running QB" Josh Allen did.

But Lamar has benefited from a good 2023 RB stable, just like Josh Allen benefited from the emergence of James Cook, and will most certainly continue utilizing his RBs.  

20 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Win, or appear in?

HOF NFL QB Dan Marino appeared in and lost one Super Bowl over a 17 year career. 

QBs Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen still have time left to reach a Super Bowl as long as they remain healthy. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

How can you not be romantic about football? 

This clip is wonderful. 

• Like 2

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

On 1/20/2024 at 11:33 PM, Geoff Grace said:

This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for the Packers. They exceeded my expectations by a mile!

Green Bay came surprisingly close to beating the #1 seed and advancing to the NFC Championship tonight. This was great experience for a team filled with rookies and a fledgling quarterback, who in some ways has already surpassed his Hall-of-Fame predecessors. I agree, ProfD, the future looks bright despite tonight’s loss.

Congrats to our 49ers fans. I thought all season long that they may be the best in the NFL. Now they have the chance to prove it.

Best,

Geoff

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Just now, MikeT156 said:

Green Bay Shocked Dallas in their own Stadium and then goes on to ALMOST beat the 49ers! They have a young team and gave them a game no one expected. I think they have a bright future in store for Title Town fans, Good residence to the Cowbums AND Rogers, a real turd.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

What's the line on the NFC championship game right now, 7 points in favor of SF?  That's fine, it will be nice to be the underdogs for a change.  Just can't see Purdy leading that team to a Superbowl.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

22 minutes ago, Polkahero said:

What's the line on the NFC championship game right now, 7 points in favor of SF?  That's fine, it will be nice to be the underdogs for a change.  Just can't see Purdy leading that team to a Superbowl.

As of yesterday:  Spread: 49ers (-7).

I can see the Niners losing, even though they should blow out the Lions.   Nothing is guaranteed.    Especially when the Refs are weekend warriors who miss most spots by over a yard and all pass plays are a random grab bag of various penalties or no-calls depending on the bias of the official and the roar of the crowd they wish to invoke. 

• Like 2

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

10 hours ago, MikeT156 said:

Green Bay Shocked Dallas in their own Stadium and then goes on to ALMOST beat the 49ers! They have a young team and gave them a game no one expected. I think they have a bright future in store for Title Town fans

Thanks, Mike! :cool: 

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The Ravens crushed the Lions and 49ers during the regular season. 

I'd imagine whoever wins the NFC championship would rather play the Chiefs.🤣😎

PD

On 1/23/2024 at 9:12 AM, ProfD said:

I'd imagine whoever wins the NFC championship would rather play the Chiefs.🤣😎

I wouldn't go that far.    Over the last 4 years, Jackson is a perennial loser in the playoffs.   He appears to be a younger version of Dak Prescott.

On the other hand, Mahomes is a perennial winner.

I would imagine the NFC champion would rather play the perennial loser. 

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

32 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Looks like the Chargers are hiring Jim Harbaugh.

They cast a very wide net in their HC search, interviewing Jim twice plus 50 other candidates.

Slam dunk for the Chargers and Harbaugh.

I had an offer to relocate to Ann Arbor and would have rather had my leg chewed off by a Wolverine than move to Michigan.  Then again John seems to have made a nice home in the murder and crime capital of the East.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

The Chargers' front office hasn't been as good as the Ravens' and the owners kinda suck but if any 2024 HC candidate can overcome those disadvantages, it would be Jim Harbaugh - maybe Bill Belichick too though his record without Tom Brady looks questionable.,

3 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

The Falcons pass on The Hoodie,  hire Raheem Morris instead

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39387574/sources-falcons-hire-rams-raheem-morris-coach

Sooner rather than later the music is going to stop and Bill may be left standing.  He has spent all those years cultivating that persona and now it may be his undoing.

Nobody likes to be around an unpredictable rabid animal.   

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

51 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39387574/sources-falcons-hire-rams-raheem-morris-coach

That one surprised me. Atlanta chose a guy who’s 21-38 as a head coach in TB and Atlanta over the other names out there.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Roland Integra-7; Wurlitzer 200A

Teams recycle failed head coaches or take a chance on unproven coaches all the time. It's a crap shoot.

With Hoodie, while he's a 1st ballot Hall of Famer, it's hard to believe he can build another winning team. The Pats have been losing for consecutive years. 

Hoodie will have an even harder time building a winner wspecially not if Tom Brady is content with doing commercials and podcasts and his impending broadcast career.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

It was interesting to listen to Gronk and Edelman reminisce about how intimidating Hoodie was, and they never knew what mood he’d be in or if they dared to even speak in meetings.    They were all frightened of him.  I’m sure even Hernandez was afraid of him, and he was a psychopathic serial murderer! 

I don’t think that type of intimidation flies these days.    Even Andy, as old school as he is, is a players coach and they love him.   It’s a little bit like how Phil Jackson had to be purged out of the NBA because he couldn’t. deal with the new breed of player.  

I seriously doubt any owner wants to deal with an old codger who will be nothing but headaches day in and day out.  Yes he has the resume, but it has expired, and he probably isn’t the best interview in convincing an owner that he is their future.  

I’m glad that God clipped his wings when he did, and getting to Shula’s record is not gonna happen.  

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

9 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

As a Rams fan, I'm sad to see Morris go; but I'm glad he has this opportunity. I wish him well.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

10 hours ago, ProfD said:

Teams recycle failed head coaches or take a chance on unproven coaches all the time. It's a crap shoot.

With Hoodie, while he's a 1st ballot Hall of Famer, it's hard to believe he can build another winning team. The Pats have been losing for consecutive years. 

Hoodie will have an even harder time building a winner especially not if Tom Brady is content with doing commercials and podcasts and his impending broadcast career.😁😎

Hoodie did well as a Head Coach but not so good as a GM, No NFL team has decided to hire him, He is getting up there in age now too.