Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Message Here

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TheWewus:

Originally posted by funk jazz:

I'll pay anyone here ten dollars for each old upright you destroy or disable.

i single handedly hunted down and destroyed five of 'em this weekend.

paypal is fine.

:D Exxxxcellent. I'll need pictures of the destroyed pianos, and names and addresses of the former owners for confirmation purposes. \

I WOULD like to build a crack team of upright piano destroyers, if you're interested send me your resume.

[Edited for medicinal porpoises]

Names and addresses of former owners will be a challenge, but I will have pics up tomorrow of two beasts, so get yer check book out, Steve.

We purchased two old beaters, one upright, one spinet and hacked the insides to pieces, then recostituted the frames as props for a corporate convention. They had to remove the strings and pins from the pin block to then remove the lyres, the object being to reduce the weight as much as possible.

I'll give the $$$ to Christy, the shop tech who labored to destroy these hideous beasts. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Duddits:

Originally posted by Hanshananigan:

How to get there (in a nutshell!):

1. Write down where you want to be and by when (music, career, etc).

2. Write down where you are now.

3. Write down what steps need to be taken to get there.

4. Do research and get advice- you're probably wrong on a couple of steps, and there's stuff you don't recognize as important!

5. Write down what things seem to be impeding your progress.

6. Work on those impeding factors, one by one, and you'll free yourself to more more easily through the steps.

7. Re-evaluate. Often.

I think the most successful people keep their goals in mind, work step-by-step and are aware of factors impeding progress. And they get help and advice. If I believed this 10 years ago, I'm sure I would have had a much more satisfying hobby/lifestyle in music... :cry:

Is this really true, or just a myth?

Do the people who get from step one to seven make a list, or is a list somehow embedded deep within their insect brains?

In other words, while these are observations about successful people, are they not made from afar? Close up, I doubt there is ever a conscious decision to follow this path.

Or in other other words, by the time anyone would actually make this list, have they not failed to follow it?

A few years ago, someone gave me a cassette series of "Personal Power" by Tony Robbins. It's the same kind of idea as above. Set goals... follow through. Tony's programs are not a scam. "Personal Power" turned my life around.

GY

Originally posted by Duddits:

Originally posted by Hanshananigan:

How to get there (in a nutshell!):

1. Write down where you want to be and by when (music, career, etc).

2. Write down where you are now.

3. Write down what steps need to be taken to get there.

4. Do research and get advice- you're probably wrong on a couple of steps, and there's stuff you don't recognize as important!

5. Write down what things seem to be impeding your progress.

6. Work on those impeding factors, one by one, and you'll free yourself to more more easily through the steps.

7. Re-evaluate. Often.

I think the most successful people keep their goals in mind, work step-by-step and are aware of factors impeding progress. And they get help and advice. If I believed this 10 years ago, I'm sure I would have had a much more satisfying hobby/lifestyle in music... :cry:

Is this really true, or just a myth?

Do the people who get from step one to seven make a list, or is a list somehow embedded deep within their insect brains?

In other words, while these are observations about successful people, are they not made from afar? Close up, I doubt there is ever a conscious decision to follow this path.

Or in other other words, by the time anyone would actually make this list, have they not failed to follow it?

Good questions... all I know is that I looked back, feeling that I could have done a better job of releasing the bard and muse within, and examined the resistance and wasted efforts at the times when I could have been moving ahead but didn't. I took what I learned from this experience in my 20s and am applying them to building a career in my 30s. 'Still to early to say if they work for everyone- they are what I see in successful, happy (maybe even "self-actualized?") folk I know, and are the things I didn't do last time. 'Sounds like something to that effect is working for GY- btw GY, thanks for the heads up on Tony Robbins! :)

So yup- I failed at 'em the first time, watched from afar successful folks doing similar things without even knowing it, realized I wasn't doing certain things right, and now am applying these things to my current studies/career. Now, if I could just remember to take out recycling every other Tuesday...

First stop, Neil's house.

You stay AWAY from my 1918 Kurtzmann!! It's not that I don't believe you, about old pianos, but mine appears to be a glaring exception to the rule, so thhpphhhhhttt!

As for the pics of the two our shop piano-destruction sets:

http://img39.exs.cx/img39/6582/Brownpiano.jpg

http://img39.exs.cx/img39/2682/Brownpianoclose75.jpg

http://img39.exs.cx/img39/4218/Whitepianoopen.jpg

http://img39.exs.cx/img39/6193/Whitepiano75.jpg

Both of these pianos came from an auction, so I don't know the previous owners.

The brown one actually played ok.. until we gutted it, of course! :D

The white one.. Well let's just say it was the poster-boy for Wewus' arguement. I don't know if it played (the action was removed when I first saw it) at all, but the action was encrusted with dust and dirt. The strings were tarnished, rusty... absolutely dead. The white finish was obviously painted by an amateur. :eek:

Christy painstakingly removed bolts, strings, and every pin from the blocks. The white one was an upright. Not a spinet. They cut 12" off the top to make it match the other more closely. :D (That's why I opened the underside. I didn't want to pull the screws that now hold the top in place.)

I would have posted a picture of the remains of the lyre, but all waste was pitched in the dumpster and hauled away last Friday. :(

They await a new paint job before they become props in a stage production at a corporate convention.

You can send the check in care of

Christy Petty

c/o The Gary Musick Company

885 Elm Hill Pike

Nashville, Tn, 37210

Thanks, Steve

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived