Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any fans of Laurie Anderson?

Ivan May

Having been a classically trained violinist from an early age, Chicago native Laurie Anderson moved to Europe in the early seventies and found success experimenting with different musical styles, even playing violin while wearing skates embedded in blocks of ice. After moving to New York in the late seventies, she eventually signed a contract with Warner Bros. Records, releasing her album Big Science in 1981. The album charted in the lower half of the billboard 200 albums chart that year and also fared well in 🇬🇧 the UK. The big hit, O Superman, was issued as a single, getting airplay on some college radio stations.

The other big songs on that album included Walk The Dog and Big Science. Her next few albums included Mr. Heartbreak, and Home Of The Brave, which was also released as a concert film in 1986. She has also collaborated with Lou Reed, whom she married in 2008 and they stayed together until his death in 2013, and Peter Gabriel, whose track This Is The Picture was featured on her album Mr. Heartbreak, and on his 1986 album So (though only on the cassette and CD issues of the album.)

I hope you guys like Laurie Anderson.

• Like 2

I'm a huge fan of Laurie Anderson. I'm lucky & honored to have recorded, mixed & produced her album and concert collaboration with Kronos Quartet, Landfall, which won a Grammy in 2018. Laurie & I spent a lot of time discussing, dealing with, & processing the deaths of our spouses, which occurred in close proximity. So in addition to being the most intelligent person I know, and an incredibly original artist, she's also a lifeline for me. Listen to what Laurie says.

• Like 6
Scott Fraser

She’s another artist I respect, but I don’t consider myself a fan.  She DEFINITELY changed the course of music.  She’s possessed of a strong artistic vision, just like David Bowie, Robert Fripp, Brian Eno, or David Sylvian.

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Back in the Spring, Laurie Anderson presented an exhibition of "Lou Reed's Guitars" at the Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden in D.C., where she accompanied the controlled feedback sound with her Violin, and told stories. There was also a gentleman playing what appeared to be Taiko Drums, and a very tiny wooden flute, which he played as he moved through the audience. Extraordinary . . .

I saw a number of EM friends I hadn't seen since 2019-early 2020, and it was, in many ways, a healing experience, being out in the daylight, soaking up sound. She stayed for hours, and then took time to greet everyone who wanted to stop and thank her. A great talent, and a generous spirit.

• Like 4

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• 1 month later...

Not really a fan, though I enjoy the visual aspect of her shows as it takes a lot of courage to pull off the type of act that she does, and I was intrigued by her early adoption of haptic devices and full body sensors.

I only saw her live once, and only because she was part of a multi-act bill. I can't remember who the others were as I went to so many in the 80's in Boston at the Orpheum. Could it have been Pat Benatar or Siouxsie and the Banshees?

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager