Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arthritis relief

Does anyone know if there is anything that can be done for a specific problem? Not overall pain. I broke my hand in three places 30 years ago. Doc said this would happen. It's getting bad enough now it affects guitar playing. In the morning, it takes awhile to get going.

I don't like taking drugs unless I have to. And for a specific thing like a hand, just wondering if anything can be done.

It's not so much the pain, it's actually not bad. It's the stiffness, lack of movement.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year I had both hands and the right shoulder operated on. Occasionally when I have pain and stiffness, in the hands and wrist, I will take Vioxx. It really seems to help me. I don't take it every day but I might have to take it for a couple of days and then I am good for a while.

Good luck.

Celebrex. Great stuff. For me, no side effects when taken daily. Its expensive; most healthcare plans don't cover it in their drug formulary. It will take that stiffness right out!
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Originally posted by JohnS:

Last year I had both hands and the right shoulder operated on.

Good gracious, what happened? I had shoulder surgery but doc told me hand surgery is far worse to recover from.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Are you sure that this is arthritis, and not something like carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome, or some other RSI?

I know that busting your hand up really bad can affect it like this later (btw, what did you do?), but there may be other things to look into also...

If this is the case, then it will respond quite well to anti-inflammatory type meds, such as nsaids or ibuprophen.

Docs can prescribe moe bettah anti-inflams, but i would have a doc take a look at it anyways just to be sure you're treating the right thing ;)

Good luck, i know how this is- stiffness and lack of agility and strength is what i deal with all the time. No pain, just that my fingers won't do what i tell them to.

HTH

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by phaeton:

..stiffness and lack of agility and strength is what i deal with all the time. No pain, just that my fingers won't do what i tell them to.

That's just old age!

That's just old age!

Hey! HEEEEYYY!!! that's no fair!! I can't help that!!

/me twists gatorwing's thumbs off and.... and....forgets what he was about to do with them...

C'mon now, i've had a rough day...

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Are you sure that this is arthritis, and not something like carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome, or some other RSI?

I know that busting your hand up really bad can affect it like this later (btw, what did you do?)

I'd say it's arthritis. General stiffness. This was a welding accident. Farm accident 30 years ago. Welding on a 55 gal drum and forgot to take bung (drain plug) out. It became a bomb. I'm lucky to be here. Blew off two fingernails. Ripped my Levis bluejeans like nothing. Sitting on a 5-gal bucket, which was crushed.

I'm very lucky. Same type accident years prior chopped a guys head off. He died.

I thought it blew off my tallywhacker. I used to be hung like a mule but now it's only 8 inches. Bruised balls like you wouldn't believe. For days, it hurt to BREATHE, any movement of a millimeter.

Bad news is that methyl parathion had been in the drum, which is cotton insecticide. Poison! Cut me all over. All that crap might have got in my blood and caused these weird symptoms I have (other stuff).

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I know exactly what you mean. Broke my right hand 5 times, and my left twice. (Hence playing bass with a pic for the most part.)

I do have a "cure" of sorts. Unfortunately, it involves a move to Arizona. Now if yer a great all around guitarist, move here and join my band... PLEASE!

Otherwise, the Celebrex helped me too. Only stuff that didn't give me side effects.

Ricky

Click on some ads once in a while!! :) -------------->

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Originally posted by JohnS:

Last year I had both hands and the right shoulder operated on.

Good gracious, what happened? I had shoulder surgery but doc told me hand surgery is far worse to recover from.
Carpal Tunnel/Guynons Canal in both hands and an impingement in the right shoulder. This was the second surgery for Carla Tunnel on the right hand.

The Doctor say as long as I keep doing what I'm doing, working as a machinist, I will keep having trouble. I am looking for a new career now.

[qb]I'm very lucky. Same type accident years prior chopped a guys head off. He died.

(other stuff).

I was wondering how he made out... :P

A Phy Therapist friends says...ice it and work it. They make those freezer packs that fit your hand.

1. Arthritis is not one 'thing' - it describes a range of syndromes.

2. This means that asking for advice on a forum is destined to end in heartbreak and/or unwanted complications ;)

Originally posted by deanmass:

[qb]I'm very lucky. Same type accident years prior chopped a guys head off. He died.

(other stuff).

I was wondering how he made out... :P

A Phy Therapist friends says...ice it and work it. They make those freezer packs that fit your hand.

Hey, that could be almost FREE! I wonder what he means... is this something you'd do regularly? How long to ice it? Work it means what? Just open and close it?

If it gets bad enough, I'd go to a doc. But no insurance.

:cry:

And he's probably just say Take this drug. I don't want to if there is a non-drug way. At this time, it's the worst after waking and lasts a few hours and isn't too bad at night. But it's been slowly getting worse.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

That's just old age!

Hey! HEEEEYYY!!! that's no fair!! I can't help that!!

/me twists gatorwing's thumbs off and.... and....forgets what he was about to do with them...

C'mon now, i've had a rough day...

Ouch, crikey, hard to ride the motorcycle without the thumbs (hard to twist the throttle)...didn't hurt my guitar playing, though!

Archived