Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Elmer Bernstein

One of my all time favorite film composers. Passed away at age 82 after having given us scores for The Magnificent Seven, To Kill A Mockingbird, Cape Fear, Ghostbusters, Cat Women on the Moon (while he was greylisted during the '50s, he could only get work scoring low-budget 'B' movies), and many others.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, it must be hard for a film composer to get life insurance this year. What the hell is going on?

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

WALTER SHARF WALTER SHARF WALTER SHARF!!!!!!

Don't forget Walter Sharf!

(I know I may be just a cat, but if you ask me, maybe there's something nefarious about all this -- maybe the "next generation" is looking to enhance their employment opportunities....)

Dooby Dooby Doo

Originally posted by Doug Osborne:

Walter Scharf was great, but he passed away in March of 2003.

Close enough.

Met him just before he died at his home. Thought it was going to be an awkward meeting, what with him being in his nineties and all. Turned out, he was sharp as a tack. Referred to his ex-student, John Williams, as "that nice young man." I guess when you're ninety-three, seventy-five, or whatever John Williams is, qualifies as "young man."

Dooby Dooby Doo

What a loss. Can you believe he won only one Oscar, and it wasn't for The Magnificent Seven?

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Sorry George, but I believe "Cape Fear" was done by Bernard Hermann.

But man, all those other Bernstein scores! It's always seemed to me that "The Magnificent Seven" score was half the movie. Hate to see another master go. All we'll be left with is hackers if someone doesn't step up!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived