Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

There's a bat in my basement/room

I hate these things! I don't care if they eat bugs or not. My one uncle is asleep and has to work in a few hours, he usually catches them in our house when they're around and is good at it, but he agreed to wait until my other uncle is home in a few hours.. needs the sleep. So, ughhhhhhhhhh.... it's in my rooooooooom with my stuuuuuufffffffff sonofabitchhhhhhhh :mad:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've dealt with a lot of bats. I used to work at a church as a custodian long ago...I was always getting calls to come and evict a bat. Having a fishing net helps...you can catch them fairly easily like that.

If you open the doors...there's a good chance it'll fly right out.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

So my uncle got home earlier and won't help. Says its better it's there than up here. Whattadick! I want that thing OUT! It could be anywhere come daylight they sure can curl up... if I had like one of these suits

http://www.nbcprotection.com/new/geometarticles/images/Figure%206a.jpg

I'd do it myself!

Originally posted by Phait:

So my uncle got home earlier and won't help. Says its better it's there than up here. Whattadick! I want that thing OUT! It could be anywhere come daylight they sure can curl up... if I had like one of these suits

http://www.nbcprotection.com/new/geometarticles/images/Figure%206a.jpg

I'd do it myself!

Phait....Get it together bro..It's only a little flying rodent...Go to a 24 hour WalMart and buy a big fishing net....Come home, catch it and let it go outside....I suggest you opne all the windows and any doors as well before you leave..It may very well fly out.

Yeah, they do tend to have a good idea of where the outside is...and they want to get to it. At the old schoolhouse we used to record in, there were bats all the time. It was very common for us to be unloading late at night after a gig only to have Count Dracula flapping happily by. We usually just opened the door...there was an outside light...bats like those, because they attract bugs. Man, they'd go for the outside light every time.

Be careful, though. Not to sound sinister, but some of them do carry rabies, so don't handle them directly.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Get a glue trap, if you want to exterminate it. Put it by his nest.

If you want to release it alive, use a big pillowcase to capture it and let it go outside. Wear gloves.

Bats do carry some diseae but for the most part they are sweet gentle creatures. We encourage bats to nest in our yard as they eat thousands of mosquitos.

We got it out. I thought there was 2 now... I went outside to look into the basement, the light was on down there.. I saw it flying around O_O then I'd see it in another spot and I'm thinking either this thing is quicker than I thought or there's 2 >_< So we opened popped out the screen window and it flew out.

Egh.

Turns out there WAS 2 bats. The other night I was upstairs but thought I was hearing or seeing things out of the corner of my eye so I'm like screw this, I went for a walk for about an hour and a half. I just wanted to not come back until dawn... when I went out, I saw something flutter ahead of me near the basement steps, sure enough it had to of been that bat! But I came back about 4:30 am, my other uncle just got home from work. Asked what I was doing outside... told him I saw that 2nd bat and said just open the window again... but the light wasn't on down there and I wasn't about to go back down there, so I slept upstairs.

Next night, didn't see anything around. TOld my friend Mike about it.. we didn't see it come out that night. I was thoroughly convinced I'd just hallucinated it out of fear. I was worried I did. We came back later that night and I heard a ticking sound. I for some reason, looked to my left - and next to the fuse box, was this brown/black spot. I looked closer (from the same distance) - I pointed to Mike - look it's a bat! He got up and crept up to it to get a look, he'd never seen one up close before. He was kinda excited and I'm like holdon I'll open the window and we'll let it fly out. So I go outside, popout the screen and Mike wanted to catch it, so he grabs a towel and he's laughing - "I'm scared I wanna grab it but I don't what if it bites through the towel?"... it takes him a couple moments but he tosses the towel on it and holds it there, the bat is chirping.. it skitted down the towel onto the wall and flew off in the basment somewhere, Mike jumped around with this funny excited yell and then found it perched near some other window. Then he grabbed this empty pretzel jar and put it over the bat. It started flying around in the jar and Mike exclaimed something like "damn this thing is PISSED" and grabbed a plastic sheet to hold over the jar.

We went back outside and he tossed the jar and ran and the bat flew out. His first bat catch :D

Originally posted by Phait:

Turns out there WAS 2 bats. The other night I was upstairs but thought I was hearing or seeing things out of the corner of my eye so I'm like screw this, I went for a walk for about an hour and a half. I just wanted to not come back until dawn... when I went out, I saw something flutter ahead of me near the basement steps, sure enough it had to of been that bat! But I came back about 4:30 am, my other uncle just got home from work. Asked what I was doing outside... told him I saw that 2nd bat and said just open the window again... but the light wasn't on down there and I wasn't about to go back down there, so I slept upstairs.

Next night, didn't see anything around. TOld my friend Mike about it.. we didn't see it come out that night. I was thoroughly convinced I'd just hallucinated it out of fear. I was worried I did. We came back later that night and I heard a ticking sound. I for some reason, looked to my left - and next to the fuse box, was this brown/black spot. I looked closer (from the same distance) - I pointed to Mike - look it's a bat! He got up and crept up to it to get a look, he'd never seen one up close before. He was kinda excited and I'm like holdon I'll open the window and we'll let it fly out. So I go outside, popout the screen and Mike wanted to catch it, so he grabs a towel and he's laughing - "I'm scared I wanna grab it but I don't what if it bites through the towel?"... it takes him a couple moments but he tosses the towel on it and holds it there, the bat is chirping.. it skitted down the towel onto the wall and flew off in the basment somewhere, Mike jumped around with this funny excited yell and then found it perched near some other window. Then he grabbed this empty pretzel jar and put it over the bat. It started flying around in the jar and Mike exclaimed something like "damn this thing is PISSED" and grabbed a plastic sheet to hold over the jar.

We went back outside and he tossed the jar and ran and the bat flew out. His first bat catch :D

Why am I picturing the squirel sequence from Christmas Vacation?

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

I have a bat that sleeps in a dark corner of my house during the day and flies out at night. If I don't leave a door open it flys around to remind me :)

If you don't want a bat in your house don't let it back in as it will fly out at night - they're nocturnal.

cheers

john

Check this guy out...

http://sres.anu.edu.au/associated/batatlas/grey.gif

Flying Fox. Big cousin of the bat, living in Australia, India and thereabouts. This bad boy...

http://wonderclub.com/Wildlife/mammals/images/indianflyingfox.jpg

...has a wingspan of over four feet. COOL!

Here's one flying...

http://www.rbgsyd.gov.au/__data/page/1005/Bat.jpg

:cool:

- Jeff

Flying Fox. Big cousin of the bat, living in Australia, India and thereabouts. This bad boy...

Not a bad boy really - called the fruit bat here and they do play maryhell with the local fruit growers but they are in fact not bats.

Also said to be the very close to us genetically. Very intelligent - everynight at dusk they set out from their roost in teams going N.S.E.W. One group used to fly west over a place I was living in and I counted 10,000 at least which means there would be up to 40,000 in the main group.

cheers

john

Guess what?

THere's a 3rd one. I slept in the living room today to watch TV and I heard it bangin' around in the vents or into them. I also heard one skittin' around inside the walls and ceiling. Meh!

I thought about starting an amateur bat removal "business" - $20 and that bat is removed ^_^

That 3rd one, it may have came through the living room vent last night - which is kinda broke so I can't close it... it was flying around. My uncle released this one this morning.

I think 3 bats in a week is a kind of problem. Thing is, no one around here wants to pay the money to surely rid of them.

Archived