Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond sk1 (73)- disassembly tips

renato forza

Hello everybody.. my name is Renato (Turin - Italy)

I have a hammond sk1 keyboard with one dead key.

I would like to try to fix it. Has anyone in the past taken the top panel off to access the keys? I also have to remove knobs?

Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done it, but it was long ago and I don't remember any detail. But I can offer this word of encouragement, it was not difficult. And I'm not mechanical at all. 🙂

I don't think knobs had to be removed.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Sounds like you’ll need to replace your contact strips. I’ve done that on my SK1, and the disassembly is not difficult. There is a video of a guy doing this on a Nord, and the process of replacing the contact strip is the same as the SK1.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

16 minutes ago, Frenchie_Jip said:

Hello Renato,

Look at this

(Link to Brad’s post)

Thanks for that link! I need to open mine up for some contact cleaner on the volume knob.  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

• 10 months later...

The link to Brad’s post that explains how to open up an SK1 is great, but the pictures do not display for me.  Anyone have an idea how to display Brad K’s  pics?  I have a replacement power input jack and can’t seem to get the top to come off.  I removed 7 of the 8 screws and need to verify which one on the bottom to remove.  The picture would clearly show this.  I have a gig tonight and fear I’ll have to use an MM6 or and old Yamaha PSR3000 or something.  I miss my beloved SK1!

• 1 month later...

My SK1 (61) is now 13 years old and sometimes doesn't want to start up or displays garbage in the LCD screen, although it seems to play alright when it is doing this.

I was hoping to refer to Brad's post on opening the SK1 as I want to check that all the internal cables and plugs are firmly seated. However the post is now archived (no further replies possible) and the pictures are not visible. Anyone save these anywhere - Brad I understand you no longer have an SK1 but if you still have the pics they would be most appreciated. Thanks 🙂 

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2024 at 9:57 PM, John Tweed said:

My SK1 (61) is now 13 years old and sometimes doesn't want to start up or displays garbage in the LCD screen, although it seems to play alright when it is doing this.

I was hoping to refer to Brad's post on opening the SK1 as I want to check that all the internal cables and plugs are firmly seated. However the post is now archived (no further replies possible) and the pictures are not visible. Anyone save these anywhere - Brad I understand you no longer have an SK1 but if you still have the pics they would be most appreciated. Thanks 🙂 

It was 11 years ago, I think it's time to declare this possibility dead, no sane person keeps some random photos saved for that long