Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A first: gig cancelled due to air quality

Sam Mullins

Just got call that gig was cancelled for tonight due to air quality problems from Canada wildfires.  Bummed but probably the right decision.  Air quality index in Iowa City this morning was 237!

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

oi.

I have a feeling I'll wish my Friday show would be cancelled.  Outdoor late afternoon gig with temps in the mid-90s, and assuming they fixed the roof by now (last time it was under construction and it ended up raining during the show, at night when we couldn't see it coming), it's not really wide enough to protect from heavy wind-blown rain.  My trust in phone weather apps is now the same "0%" that it kept saying the chance of rain was that evening....radar showed completely clear.

Summer outdoor gigs in FL are suck city.  Great in the winter :)  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wd8dky said:

What venue in Iowa City?  My son is in Med School there. 

30Hop in Coralville on the roof patio.  Played there a couple times and also at their Cedar Rapids location.  Usually a good gig. 

My brother plays in the duo with me and his wife works at the medical school arranging summer internships for med students...so possible they have crossed (or will cross) paths.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

33 minutes ago, Stokely said:

oi.

I have a feeling I'll wish my Friday show would be cancelled.  Outdoor late afternoon gig with temps in the mid-90s, and assuming they fixed the roof by now (last time it was under construction and it ended up raining during the show, at night when we couldn't see it coming), it's not really wide enough to protect from heavy wind-blown rain.  My trust in phone weather apps is now the same "0%" that it kept saying the chance of rain was that evening....radar showed completely clear.

Summer outdoor gigs in FL are suck city.  Great in the winter :)  

Yeah, we also had some chance of rain...so always bummed to miss a gig, but in this case kinda glad.  (Just wish I hadn't already loaded everything up :) )

www.stickmanor.com

More than once we've completely set up our PA and started playing but within 2-3 songs the gig is cancelled.  The venue owners won't call things off until someone is practically struck by lightning, hell we've all had our pedalboards and power strips wrapped in garbage bags as rivulets run through the stage area...

Anyway, that air quality from the OP is another level, I can't imagine trying to sing for a few hours in that.   Well, I sorta can, as I stayed in Beijing for a few days a decade ago :) 

Just now, Stokely said:

Anyway, that air quality from the OP is another level, I can't imagine trying to sing for a few hours in that.   Well, I sorta can, as I stayed in Beijing for a few days a decade ago :) 

Yeah, we aren't accustomed to this like some coastal cities...normal AQI is 50-70.

www.stickmanor.com

Crazy!?!   We had similar smoke madness in SF in 2020 - same thing as what's happening now, big fires and the smoke descended, horrible.

I don't know if anyone else here is old enough and grew up in So Cal, but I remember smog alerts in elementary school.  The smog was so bad it hurt to breathe, and they would cancel playground time - you had to stay indoors.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I am Upstate NY and it is really bad here today and I have a gig tonight.  Bruce Hornsby was here last night at our CGI Jazz festival and he was having trouble with his voice.  People were still out.  The sun was a blood orange last night because of the smoke.

• Sad 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Yeah, supposed to play the downtown concert series in Ithaca tonight and it's definitely going to be rescheduled (second one of the month due to the wildfire smoke). It's not as bad as it was the first time, but definitely not safe to be out for two hours singing, especially given that our lead vocalist (my wife) has asthma. No way.

It's hard for it to not feel personal after the last few years of uncontrollable forces interfering with gatherings and music. Anyway I told the boss I wasn't coming into the office today. At least my other show this weekend is indoors... back to the safety of the mouth particles, rather than the fiery tree particles. 🤣

• Haha 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

That's the only thing good about covid, it got us all working from home and it became permanent when they realized we were just as productive, doing what we do.   Now our team has several newer hires that live in-state but hours away, so the horse is not going back to the barn.   I am WAY more productive being out of that crap "open and collaborative" office environment they went to a few years ago.   Every dev and admin had to wear noise-cancelling earbuds to function in there, it was ludicrous.   And I get an hour or so back that I used to spend commuting, win!

And to relate to "air quality", the one woman with eye-watering perfume the next row of stalls over (you can't call what we had "cubes") is far, far away from where I am.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

That's the only thing good about covid, it got us all working from home and it became permanent when they realized we were just as productive, doing what we do.   Now our team has several newer hires that live in-state but hours away, so the horse is not going back to the barn.   I am WAY more productive being out of that crap "open and collaborative" office environment they went to a few years ago.   Every dev and admin had to wear noise-cancelling earbuds to function in there, it was ludicrous.   And I get an hour or so back that I used to spend commuting, win!

October will make it 16 years I have been working from home (for a large corporation).  I joke that I was in long-term training for Covid.  Our org always had engineering split among multiple locations so we were doing audio/video conf for most meetings that whole time.  But the one thing I noticed is that because no one was in the office, there was no "cooler talk" so that happened largely virtually...and I felt less out of the loop than I had the previous 12 years.  

www.stickmanor.com

Yikes! I experienced that a bit before leaving California, but now we've got it in Virginia, only it's not as bad as what you're experiencing, as it is "only" at 187 today. I had trouble breathing when I woke up this morning. I have a gig in Manassas that I have to leave for in a couple of hours and was wondering if they'd shut the place down due to the air. I had to mail a package today, almost a one mile walk each direction, and it was not pleasant, but I certainly took note of the deserted streets!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The scales of these fires are mind-blowing. Canada 2023 to date approx 8 million hectares, 2020 Aussie bushfires 13 million hectares, 362,000 hectares in California in 2022 etc etc :( 

• Sad 1

We had an outdoor show Thursday night that we cancelled. Some other friends were joking that we used to play in smoke filled bars, whats the difference. Somehow I think the particulates are worse...

• Wow! 1

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Well it comes and goes with wind. Yesterday morning was AQI = 240.   Now sitting at Iowa City Jazz Festival AQI = 50. 😀

• Like 1

www.stickmanor.com

7 hours ago, Al Quinn said:

And the smoke filled bars were horrible…

Yep bloody oath. Im down to 30% lungs thanks in a huge way to those smoke filled venues. Used to cough up green shit every day until lunchtime.

If only the clubs and pubs had put their aircon on to fresh air intake from outside instead of recycling the heated or cold air from within the premises to cut down on electricity i think things may have been better.

14 hours ago, DanL said:

Some other friends were joking that we used to play in smoke filled bars, whats the difference. Somehow I think the particulates are worse...

. . . only if the trees smoked nicotine cigarettes.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

17 hours ago, MAJUSCULE said:

This will unfortunately only become more common with fire season increasing in both length and intensity.

Not once all the forests are burned down 😇🥰

• Sad 1
  • Cool 1
It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

I experienced that on my trip to China, mainly in Beijing.   The hotel had a box of disposable house slippers to wear to avoid getting the soot on your feet or regular socks.  I guess no amount of vacuuming would get rid of it, either that or that was easier than vacuuming (and that wouldn't surprise me--I took my kid to a playground and there was a monkey bars that I guess was broken...so rather than fix it or rope off the area, they wrapped the bars in freaking barbed wire to keep people off it....probably had some on hand!)

Good news, less smog.  Bad news, more smoke and less trees, which doesn't help the underlying reason for the increased fires....