Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommend me an AP plugin, stand-alone, small footprint, no CPU hog

I run a Dell Latitude with Windows 10, only plugin is AAS Lizard EP-4. I also need an AP plugin, play mostly rock´n blues.

Must be stand-alone, small and no CPU hog, so where to look? Must not be free, but good!

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

Free is good, but i still want stand-alone, I think that´s easier to handle.

I’ve been using Pianoteq for several years and admit I like it a lot.

Pianoteq is very cpu easy. It sounds good. It does stand alone. I believe it has a demo version to try out. It’s not the cheapest option. For rock and blues, you will want to reduce the velocity sensitivity to have a strong presence throughout the velocity range. When I am looking for a “character piano,” samples will get me closer, but PT is a good all rounder.

OK, I´m in Europe, it´s near midnight and I´m out of beer, so good night for now and keep `em coming!

Another +1 for Pianoteq. You have to plan ahead carefully for sample-based pianos, because they feature a mass of WAVs covering every potential type of key strike. If you get into a streaming, round-robin mode, you can start smelling ozone if you haven't fully configured things. A tool of that caliber might be the better choice for exposed classical or solo jazz, but only because some people feel Pianoteq's tone to be a bit too synthetic. In practice, no one on the other side of the keys is likely to know the difference. I like to flange it for that honky-tonk effect.

The Stage version is $139 US/129.74 Euros, which I call dirt cheap for the power it provides. Note that you get a choice of two pianos and access to some freebies like tubular bells.   

• Like 1

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

6 hours ago, JohnDoe said:

Free is good, but i still want stand-alone, I think that´s easier to handle.

You can use something like NanoHost. 

"Tone2 NanoHost is the most lightweight VST host on this list—in fact it’s barely a host at all. NanoHost acts as a wrapper to turn a VST plugin into a standalone application. Get the tools to shape your sound with 30+ synths, instruments, effects and utilities plugins from industry leaders like Arturia, UJAM and more.

The 8 Best VST Hosts for Live Performance | LANDR Blog

blog.landr.com/best-vst-host/"

Many of of my plugins come with standalone, but I never run standalone.  One main reason is none of them seems to expose "Windows Audio" driver.   I I read that Microsoft "quietly" improved Windows Audio driver recently.   It really works well.   In my sub $300 mini pc with 16gb ram and 1TB ssd and on a Celeron chip, I just can't believe how well plugins run.   I use Gig Performer as my host in my windows and Mac machines.     I just tested NanoHost.   Unfortunately it doesn't list Windows Audio driver.     

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MPN21 said:

Many of of my plugins come with standalone, but I never run standalone.   

use Reaper. Runs like a dream. Solid as can be. Cheap as chips (even free forever in trial mode).  Plus you can make albums with it.

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

use Reaper. Runs like a dream. Solid as can be. Cheap as chips (even free forever in trial mode).  Plus you can make albums with it.

Reaper is great in many respects, but like all other DAWs it is not geared for playing plugins for live performance.  A plugin host like Gig Performer is focused on playing plugins/patches for live.    Also, for some reason Reaper does not expose Windows Audio driver either.  The OP says standalone, and I was saying that a simple plugin host like NanoHost will make a non standalone plugin act like one.  If I play only one plugin, it would be perfect, but I use Gig Performer to play multiple plugins, create patches, and even drive external hardware modules. 

Kontakt works standalone.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Thank you all for your time and suggestions!👍

I think I will start with NanoHost and see how that works.

4 hours ago, davinwv said:

Lots of piano libraries run standalone outside of a DAW/host in Kontakt Player and UVI Workstation.

I am a big fan of Kontakt, it's my go to program. 

I don't believe that is what the OP is asking, however.

:nopity:

4 hours ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

Kontakt works standalone.

Insert face palm smiley here. Been so long I'd forgotten

2 hours ago, Doerfler said:

I am a big fan of Kontakt, it's my go to program. 

I don't believe that is what the OP is asking, however.

Yeah pretty sure he means "doesn't need anything else to run."

29 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Yeah pretty sure he means "doesn't need anything else to run."

I would never let installing a free, standalone sample player keep me from using a piano library that I liked, but horses for courses.

38 minutes ago, bill5 said:

There are free DAWs which can be used as a sample player ;)  

So, if you liked the Ravenscroft 275, you wouldn't use it just because it requires the free UVI Workstation to run standalone?

The Kontakt pianos can run in the free Kontakt player. So, double click to run, then there's that extra two seconds to click on the little disk icon, select "Load recent", and slide the mouse over a few millimeters to select the piano. The Hammersmith Free piano with the free Kontakt player is the best bargain in sampled pianos today, imo. Except... it takes more than two mouse clicks to run. Four, actually.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, davinwv said:

So, if you liked the Ravenscroft 275, you wouldn't use it just because it requires the free UVI Workstation to run standalone?

If it requires the free UVI Workstation to run, it's not "stand-alone" and again the point is the OP wants a stand-alone instrument. This has nothing to do with what you or I would or wouldn't use.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, bill5 said:

If it requires the free UVI Workstation to run, it's not "stand-alone" . . . .

This is a distinction without a difference. Also, the term "stand-alone" is somewhat of a "term of art" in the VI world. It means that an instrument can run on its own (perhaps in a sample player), but without needing a DAW to "host" it.

The OP (and perhaps you) don't understand this "term of art".

Sorry, but that simply makes no sense, and calling the term stand-alone a "term of art" doesn't either. It's rather obvious what he meant. But this is sidetracking and not worth digressing the OP's post further. Hope he finds what he's looking for. Out

• Annoyed 1

16 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Sorry, but that simply makes no sense, and calling the term stand-alone a "term of art" doesn't either. It's rather obvious what he meant. But this is sidetracking and not worth digressing the OP's post further. Hope he finds what he's looking for. Out

One more post, and then I'm out, as well.

Look at the System Requirements on the B-3X product page:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/hammondb3x/index.php?p=specs

"Standalone and 64-bit plug-in. Requires a 64 bit CPU and Operating System."

Look at Supported Interfaces on the Kontakt Player 7 product page:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-7-player/specifications/

"macOS (64-bit only): Stand-alone, VST3, AU, AAX

Windows (64-bit only): Stand-alone, VST3, AAX"

Look at Supported Plugins under Compatibility on the UVI Workstation page:

https://www.uvi.net/uvi-workstation.html#specs

"Supported Plugins:Audio Units, AAX, VST, VST3, Stand-alone"

Clearly, "Standalone" (and "Stand-alone") are "terms of art" / "defined terms" in the industry.

🙄