Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MAG Organ live recording

I've started doing some organ quartet gigs with James Valentine on tenor sax. We sold out Django Bar last month! Here's a recording of us opening the show with Back at the Chicken Shack. Very happy with the sound of the MAG organ.

James Valentine Quartet - Back at the Chick Shack

• Like 11
  • Love 1

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Nice!

Can you share how you’re using it?  Yours has the ventilator option?  What are you using to amplify?  Did you mic the speaker or are you recording direct?  

Or do you run it to a Leslie? 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

11 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Nice!

Can you share how you’re using it?  Yours has the ventilator option?  What are you using to amplify?  Did you mic the speaker or are you recording direct?  

Or do you run it to a Leslie? 

I have the mini Vent installed. I think the sound you're hearing is a desk mix. I use a single Yamaha DZR10 which is an incredible sounding speaker - I've written about it here previously.

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

2 minutes ago, dazzjazz said:

I have the mini Vent installed. I think the sound you're hearing is a desk mix. I use a single Yamaha DZR10 which is an incredible sounding speaker - I've written about it here previously.

Oh I am sure it is. Just the one is close to two DXR10! 😊

19 hours ago, dazzjazz said:

sounded like that was the board , how does that compare to what you hear on stage through the DZR ?

1 hour ago, bill bosco said:

sounded like that was the board , how does that compare to what you hear on stage through the DZR ?

Obviously it's a little different being next to a roaring speaker...but it sounds faithful.

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

• 2 months later...

Sounds like my Gemini module (Mojo in a rack) which IMHO is the best bang for my money since the Gemini also comes with a ton of other great modeled sounds in addition to the Mojo organ/leslie; and being a midi module i can choose the keyboard (and keybed) to play it on, be it a weighted action for piano centric gigs, an organ action or multiple keyboards.  My two cents, take it with a grain of salt.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

10 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

Sounds like my Gemini module (Mojo in a rack) which IMHO is the best bang for my money since the Gemini also comes with a ton of other great modeled sounds in addition to the Mojo organ/leslie; and being a midi module i can choose the keyboard (and keybed) to play it on, be it a weighted action for piano centric gigs, an organ action or multiple keyboards.  My two cents, take it with a grain of salt.

As a former Mojo user for about a decade, I can definitely say that the HX3 has a more “alive” sound than the Mojo. That’s not to say that the Mojo isn’t good. If it weren’t for the MAG, I’d still be using a Mojo. The MAG is the only clone that was able to make me switch. 

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

1 hour ago, Delaware Dave said:

What’s your feeling on audio output from the Gemini?  There was some discussion about it some time back as not as quiet as one might expect?  Any issues with needing to ground lift?  Is there a +4 -10 switch? 

I had the unit repaired in 2021 due to output issues, i.e. VERY noisy (you could hear the hiss 30 feet away), one output going out a half dozen times per gig (had to slap the side of the unit for the audio to return), constant rebooting itself in the middle of a gig.  I was ready to throw in the towel.  Sent it in for repair and ALL of the boards were replaced.  It was an expensive repair. The new boards had to be retrofitted into the unit; the repair guy told me GSi sourced the boards from a new vendor but the boards dimensions were slightly different, hence the retrofit. GSi provided him instructions as to how to do the retrofit.  2 years later the unit is quiet as a mouse, all outputs work and haven't had a mid song reboot yet. So it's gone from almost into the trashcan to being super quiet and reliable.

P.S. i hear the same thing about the Mojo.  Early Mojo 61's were temperamental but the last couple of years the new Mojo's are much more reliable.  I would have to believe that the parts vendor change was highly positive from a quality perspective.  I would give GSi quality a thumbs up now....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

11 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

I had the unit repaired in 2021 due to output issues, i.e. VERY noisy (you could hear the hiss 30 feet away), one output going out a half dozen times per gig (had to slap the side of the unit for the audio to return), constant rebooting itself in the middle of a gig.  I was ready to throw in the towel.  Sent it in for repair and ALL of the boards were replaced.  It was an expensive repair. The new boards had to be retrofitted into the unit; the repair guy told me GSi sourced the boards from a new vendor but the boards dimensions were slightly different, hence the retrofit. GSi provided him instructions as to how to do the retrofit.  2 years later the unit is quiet as a mouse, all outputs work and haven't had a mid song reboot yet. So it's gone from almost into the trashcan to being super quiet and reliable.

P.S. i hear the same thing about the Mojo.  Early Mojo 61's were temperamental but the last couple of years the new Mojo's are much more reliable.  I would have to believe that the parts vendor change was highly positive from a quality perspective.  I would give GSi quality a thumbs up now....

Thanks for sharing.   US dealers that work with GSi (Alto for example) suggest any new orders are coming directly from GSI.  So, theoretically, new models should have the new silicon.  How helpful was GSi monetarily with getting your unit back up and running? 

6 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Right, you got the sounds and the device in the format you wanted.  Done.  

Here's the sad story ....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/962387123793409/permalink/4376581379040616/

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Hi Darren,

Sounds excellent, few here would know of James past or present profile, but all good that two uniquely talented guys are playing together. Dont recall getting an email about this gig. Might want to check I am still on your list.

Cheers

Mark

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P