Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you think of this gig publicity idea

I recently moved here, so I only know a few people. It's a slow and steady process of building a "fan base."

I saw on tv, they are having a "small business expo" and people can showcase all kinds of wares and services. I was thinking, heck, I've never seen a performer at one of these things. No telling how many people I could meet just in getting to know vendors alone. But maybe you could play acoustically in your booth. Or if not, just be there and strike up conversations with people about your act. Hand out demos and flyers. Shooting for home concerts, private parties, more intimate solo gigs.

Got any thoughts on this?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forget this one, it's $500 for ONE day. That seems ridiculous. If I found some kind of deal for like $150, maybe.

I think I'll just go walk around down there for free and get in conversations with people and give them a biz card. :idea:

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Talk to the organiser, offer them a free performance if they have a stage or something. (and bring a sign to your gig = website adress. If they don't allow signs, use your instrument & case as a billboard.)

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

Talk to the organiser, offer them a free performance if they have a stage or something. (and bring a sign to your gig = website adress. If they don't allow signs, use your instrument & case as a billboard.)

Why would they want me there to distract from the booths?

Maybe I could offer to do it on setup day, to entertain the booth owners as they set up. For a free booth on game day.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

Why would they want me there to distract from the booths?
Entertainment attracts more people (if it's advertised) and make them stay longer.
Yeah but nobody knows me here. It's an expo, I can't see anyone coming there for entertainment. Well, yeah, I could if it was a big name.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Mats,

The trade show promoters would probably request a history of LiveMusic's performances or some sort of profile listing his credits. They might also request that he have his managers contact them to discuss arrangements, and to my knowledge, LiveMusic does not have a representative of his talents outside of himself.

If LiveMusic has a pretty good tract record and is capable of showing a following; he might stand a chance of the event sponsors taking the bait. If he is an unknown artist with no proven marketability, the promoters would be apprehensive about allowing him to perform; even for free.

Even with a CD in hand, there is no guarantee that an artist will be any good in stage performance. A press kit showing accomplishments, accompanied by a CD and perhaps even a video, or else a reputable manager would probably be requirements for getting your foot in the door of a major trade event.

Sure entertainment will attract people and even keep them around a bit longer... IF the performance is quality and professional.... Unprofessional or poor talent can drive the crowd away sooner; event promoters are VERY aware of this when they factor in provisions for talent.

I don't know much about LiveMusic or his performance record, so my comments are not directed in any way his direction.

Archived