Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Turbosound iQ8 vs DXR8

Anyone tried the Turbosound iQ8 with pianos?  Reviews are favorable but these are largely by DJs looking for boom boom and if it needs a sub or not.  Comes in about $110 under the DXR8mkII.  Obviously $220 less when buying a pair.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

No, but if you're looking at 8' speakers and can afford it the EV Everse 8 is worth checking out.  121db rating, runs on a battery and weighs 7.5 kg.  Keeps up with my loud guitarist in the electric blues band and saves my back.  Haven't tried pianos sorry, I haven't heard a DP through2-way speakers that I was enarmoured with.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I'm thinking about picking up one 8 or 10 inch speaker for some upcoming sub gigs.  No bass needed, either by me or to monitor (bassist has an amp).  

I've hemmed and hawed from cheap (Alto) up to maybe the DXR or RCF Art level...probably no need to consider higher than that if most of my gigs are in-ear in the future.

I'm leaning toward the RCF Hd10-a (which are 10" as the name suggests); kind of splits the difference between ultra-cheap and medium cheap (as I've found out, there's a big range of pro options above the DXR).   

I could be wrong, so correct if so--my impression just from reviews is that what really separates the cheaper speakers from higher end is the ability to hold up at volume (and to have more volume).   I'll never need high volume, but I do want clarity.   I have some ebay special 12" speakers that can neither do high volume nor clarity....but they were $325 for the pair, so :)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zephonic said:

I bought the Turbosound Milan M100 six years ago. It had some LF rumble so I returned it.

I’ve owned a lot of powered speaker and frankly, the Behringer B208D would remain my pick if it had two inputs. And I have had many of the usual suspects.

I need a fan cooled amp for when I’m stuck in cruelly hot locations and shade is a moving target.  Unfortunately.  Otherwise   I’d grab a TS408 or the like. 

That EV Everse looks sweet- I like the 16.8 lbs weight (!) And that you can control it with a smartphone app.  And that it has digital effects built in.  And, it comes ready to power several different wireless EV microphone receivers.  

It's like the upgraded version of the JBL Eon One Compact, a fantastic 8" 2-way, around $650, with tons of EQ and effects options, all available from the panel or the smartphone app.  And it runs on battery quite a while.  But it doesn’t sound great with piano, and only manages 112db SPL.

But neither the Everse 8 or JBL have a fan.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

5 hours ago, Stokely said:

I'm thinking about picking up one 8 or 10 inch speaker for some upcoming sub gigs.  No bass needed, either by me or to monitor (bassist has an amp).  

I've hemmed and hawed from cheap (Alto) up to maybe the DXR or RCF Art level...probably no need to consider higher than that if most of my gigs are in-ear in the future.

I'm leaning toward the RCF Hd10-a (which are 10" as the name suggests); kind of splits the difference between ultra-cheap and medium cheap (as I've found out, there's a big range of pro options above the DXR).   

I could be wrong, so correct if so--my impression just from reviews is that what really separates the cheaper speakers from higher end is the ability to hold up at volume (and to have more volume).   I'll never need high volume, but I do want clarity.   I have some ebay special 12" speakers that can neither do high volume nor clarity....but they were $325 for the pair, so :)  

I’m just amplifying myself and maybe a vocal or duo instrument.  So not just a monitor for me. I only need adequate volume for Bass (he can carry his own shit), acoustic drums (not mic’d), piano at most.  Not a rock gig or PA for a band.  Other option is a MotionSound 408 or 610. But I’m inclined at the moment to go two boxes for options.