Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Harmonious Mustard

This is the name of one of the colors available for the new Casio Privia PX-S7000. Now, Casio may have missed an opportunity in the form of getting a white-label food products company to make a nice honey dijon spread and hand it out as swag at NAMM, but that's not even what I'm posting about.

Other than seeming very whimsically Japanese, the name they chose for this color stuck in my head and had a familiar ring to it. There was a cadence about the vowels I associated with piano for some reason. Then it hit me:

Thelonious Monk. Harmonious Mustard. Thelonious Monk. Harmonious Mustard.

If this was intentional, someone at Casio is a genius. If not, the serendipity is remarkable.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

1 hour ago, Stephen Fortner said:

Casio may have missed an opportunity in the form of getting a toy products company to make a family board game and hand it out as swag at NAMM.

Oh sorry ..................

i could have swore you said Colonel Mustard

As I read the thread I scrolled to the bottom of the page and there was a link to Casio’s Harmonic Mustard!  The algorithms are strong! 😀. Well, in all honesty, the algorithm didn’t have to work too hard on that one.

cheers,

Canoe

Well, it's certainly better than "Gray Poop-on".......................

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Very interesting color :)  I give credit for something other than "basic black"--I find black keyboards less than practical on stage (hard to see controls) and they are super boring to look at fwiw--then again, all the audience tends to see at most shows is the thin back of the keyboard anyway.

I've always kind of wished for color choices like you get with cars or guitars.  I know EscapeRocks and maybe others have DIY re-colored keyboards but I wouldn't trust myself with that!

9 hours ago, Stephen Fortner said:

Casio may have missed an opportunity in the form of getting a white-label food products company to make a nice honey dijon spread and hand it out as swag at NAMM

What - the smoky garlic they gave out at NAMM wasn’t good enough?  😏

IMG_0367.jpeg

dB

• Haha 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

That seems like a decent name for a patch hinting at a signature sound if there is one used by TM. However mustard as a color is not a color I would associate with anything positive. It is specific, yes.  Are you looking for something to fit with the couch pillows and drapes? When it comes to the things that appeal to people aesthetically you choose some names which will instantly sell themselves not to convey their closest reference. So ‘mustard” loses points because the color isn’t especially desirable, the name isn’t appealing, the association with TM itself will be lost on most people in this context and a nod to TM is not going to spark mass sales because potential buyers may not know of TM or have interest in his genre……if it was intended as a reference to TM.

Just my POV: Guitars and brass and chrome hardware are jewelry. The rest (amps, drums, keys, etc.) risks being visual clutter interfering with seeing the musicians playing and lighting there to enhance the musician’s presence on stage. 

I missed NAMM as some of you know, and stand happily corrected. Casio actually did the condiment! Bummed I didn't get some.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

10 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

Two flavors!. I forget the other one…

Smokey Garlic and "Curry" which was like a sweet honey mustard. Both were incredible.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

2 hours ago, Spider76 said:

Wasn't that a Tarantino movie? Harmonious Bast*rds?🤪

One of only two products ever to receive a standing ovation at a NAMM show.

The other was the Butter Feel blue colored tuning fork offered by Wile E. of Coyote Piano who ironically went out of business so quickly you would think they dropped off a cliff.

On 5/21/2023 at 4:51 PM, o0Ampy0o said:

So ‘mustard” loses points because the color isn’t especially desirable,

Listen you better not let my wife hear you trashing the most significant color in her wardrobe! 😆

• Haha 2

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

On 5/23/2023 at 4:55 AM, Theo Verelst said:

Oh, now there's the question of who's going to pass the ketchup

Clavia has that covered...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!