Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland AIRA T-8 vs. Behringer TD-3+RD6

I don't know where else I can ask this question, so if anyone knows a better forum to put this query to please let me know. 

Last year I bought the Behringer TD-3 on flash sale for under $100, but I didn't take any kind of deep dive into it until this month. I've been playing with it a lot and enjoying what it can do and how it can sound and decided maybe I should buy the companion rhythm box the Behringer RD-6 to go with it (currently going for around 150 bones)

As YT will do, watching videos to learn about the RD6 combined with the TD3 it started seeing video recommendations for the Roland AIRA T-8. I looks like the Roland T-8 ($200 or so) can do the job of both the TD-3 and the RD-6 in a single compact box. 

The question is should I just buy the AIRA T-8 and forget the Behringer RD-6 or would I be better served buying the RD-6 since I already have the TD-3 and have taken the time to learn my way all around the TB303 clone?  Does anyone have experience with all three of these items? How does the Behringer pair stack up against the solo Roland T-8?

Asking for a friend....me!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Behringer TD-3 and TD-3-MO. Never wanted the RD-6 because I have the TR8 and TR8s. I can tell you a few points. The Behringer boxes are analog while Roland is digital. Analog may be the "in" thing right now, but the Rolands sound just as good, AND you will not have to deal with calibrating the analog circuits when they drift out of tune. You are going to get a better variety of sounds out of the Roland and I think you get more memory for saving patterns. I would go for the TR8 and connect it to the TD-3. That will give you drums, bass and a lead. You can then decide if you like having multiple boxes, or want to follow a path of just upgrading your main box. I've seen people perform with a single box, and people who prefer having maybe three boxes MIDI'ed together. The TR8+TD-3 will give you an idea of which you prefer.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The Aira Compact T-8 looks like a fun and cheap little machine.   But like other low-cost products, you give up something or 2 or 5 in exchange for your penny pinching

There is little to no sound editing of the bass synth or any of the drum sounds from what I can tell.   This little machine will force you to focus on creating drum and bass parts only, since it won't allow you to get lost in the weeds editing drum or bass sounds to fine detail - but I suspect for those who love the T-8, this is a factor in why they love it, even this one guy I saw who already has multiple TB-303s.

It does not send or received MIDI CC which is another complaint for would-be buyers.

Thank you Rabid and Governor for responding.

I should explain my plans for these boxes so that I can get the best advice possible. 

I'm not an acid house person TBH, but I do love that I can create interesting robotic backing tracks on the fly to improvise over on keyboards. MIDI is only important to me in regards to the clock (master/slave) and not much else with the possible exception of perhaps using a MIDI controller on the bass synth for experimenting. 

The fact that the Roland AIRA has an internal rechargeable battery is HUGE for me because I plan to use these outdoors. I am powering the Behringer with a bank (extra gear to lug around) and the idea that I could get close to the same performance out of the AIRA without any extra power sources is a big plus. 

I didn't know you couldn't tweak the bass sounds on the Roland though, that might actually be a deal breaker. It's one thing for the drums (especially really electronic sounding) drums to remain unchanging, but if the bass timbre never changes that would get boring very quickly. 

I also plan on making some YT videos with all my gear including these kits at some point so that factors slightly into my intentions as well.  What will look most interesting as I fiddle with them on camera. 

TLDR version. Portable for unpowered use is important but I have ways around that. (Behringer's stuff isn't battery powered, why?). Gear will primarily be used not for ACID but to make interesting on the fly backing tracks. Not adverse to getting the AIRA to pair with the TD-3 although if there is enough overlap I might opt to sell the TD-3 and just enjoy the AIRA. 

Thanks for all the help so far. 

34 minutes ago, Krakit said:

Thank you Rabid and Governor for responding.

I didn't know you couldn't tweak the bass sounds on the Roland though, that might actually be a deal breaker. It's one thing for the drums (especially really electronic sounding) drums to remain unchanging, but if the bass timbre never changes that would get boring very quickly. 

No, you can tweak the bass synth sound and save your tweaks as part of a pattern.  You just can't save a synth preset that is independent of a pattern like on most other synths.

31 minutes ago, Krakit said:

but I do love that I can create interesting robotic backing tracks on the fly to improvise over on keyboards.

Then you might also want to check out the J-6. I've seen some pretty cool videos of it creating arps and chord progressions.

1 hour ago, RABid said:

Then you might also want to check out the J-6. I've seen some pretty cool videos of it creating arps and chord progressions.

Oh the rest of the AIRA compact family hasn't been lost on me. I suffer from critical GAS.  

I think I'm going to get the Roland AIRA. 

Battery operated (rechargeable internal batt)

Onboard delay and reverb

Bass AND Rhythm all in one small easy to transport package with tiny footprint and no worrying about patching things together to get sync

The only thing left to decide now is if I should sell the TD-3 (which is kind of a shame after learning how to do everything with it) or keeping it for something less remote like desktop YT video content. 

EDIT: Ordered the Roland AIRA will arrive on Saturday

17 hours ago, Krakit said:

The only thing left to decide now is if I should sell the TD-3 (which is kind of a shame after learning how to do everything with it) or keeping it for something less remote like desktop YT video content. 

I don't know if I should sell or keep the Behringer TD-3 now. Selling it would of course defray some of the expense of the new AIRA, but I did woodshed some on the TD-3 and it seems a shame to throw all that homework out the window. Once the Roland AIRA T-8 arrives will I grow less fond of the TD-3 anyway? 

I'm leaning on keeping it but I dunno really

• 4 months later...
On 5/18/2023 at 7:42 PM, Krakit said:

EDIT: Ordered the Roland AIRA will arrive on Saturday

How are you enjoying the T-8? I ordered one today for a very specific use, connecting to my Eurorack. For that I don't mind the limited sound editing. I do appreciate the battery, small size, ease of pattern programming, and the ability to chain sound and MIDI. I'm finding the TRS MIDI ports to be very handy on these devices. I have already purchased the J-6 and S-1. The J-6 specifically for the chord programming. I was impressed enough with it to order the S-1 the next week. Roland got it right this time. My big complaint with the Boutiques was the cabling. The new compact series is so easy to chain together using TRS cables for MIDI and audio. Plug your headphones into the last machine in the chain, press the start/stop button on the first machine in the chain, and they all work together. But the T-8 seems perfect for those time you just want a quick beat to play behind your Eurorack madness.