Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

which speakers best for YAMAHA MODX 8+

Considerations.

Weather, weight and size. 

Typically, larger heavier speakers sound better but they are a PITA to move. Live work, you will enjoy life more with smaller lighter speakers. They can still sound great but they won't sound as good as larger speakers. 

Weather dictates protection (covers) and mobility (ice, snow or pouring rain?)

Weight brings up your personal ability to lug things around, whether or not these are going up or down stairs, the height of the vehicle you are loading them into and access at the venues (again, stairs - a long lug from parking to stage, etc. 

Size brings up access issues, capacity of vehicle, size of the stages where you are playing, stands or no stands, etc. 

Until you have specified what needs must be met the answer is that the best speakers are the ones that cost them most, are the biggest and heaviest. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Some ideas from what I've used.

Yamaha DZR range are very good, if a bit bright to my ears. But they can cut thru in a loud situation without distorting.
Some nice stuff also from RCF. I had some RCF TT+ years ago and they were amazing. 

Next level down, EV ELX are not bad at all.

Next level down is probably the Alto powered speaker range, which gets good reports around here.

I have Yamaha HS5s at home to program stuff, arrange, and watch TV with. I think they're great.

• Like 1

Generally don't want to use studio monitors for live, for multiple reasons...monitors are designed to be listened to by one person, or a reasonably small group of people. As such, they have a totally different "sweet spot" than live/PA speakers, which are (typically) designed to throw sound wide and far.  Then there's other considerations like road worthiness that also make studio monitors less than ideal for live use.

To echo what others have said though, you really need to provide more information to get a better answer...1)price range, weight considerations...2)how many people you would typically be playing for...3)is it just for you to monitor yourself or also PA for the audience...4)what types of sounds you typically use on your MODX...5)genre of music the band plays etc...these are all important details.

Depends.  No one here knows.  In my case there is none.  My most glorious live speakers I’ve played through recently is a EV EXT 15P and a 12P.  It was glorious.  It vibrated my entire core like I was a human tuning fork but no way I would want that in my house.   It was almost like the rigs we used in the 80s and 90s.   Today everything from the major brands are decent. I have a pair of Altos that are decent but my wife would s*** if I brought that stuff in the house.  😀😀😀

In the house I usually use cans but If I don’t I play through headphones I use these little JBLs that are about the size of our toaster and they are about right.  

It all depends. 

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

1 hour ago, N28 said:

Is Yamaha is Good like Yamaha CHR10 or Yamaha DHR10 

Or any other brands 

Can we use studio monitors like Yamaha HS8

Studio monitors are ideal for home use. The CHR/DHR range are designed for live/on-stage. I don't know much about them, but the DXR series has a good reputation. Also look at ElectroVoice and QSC in this price bracket. Alto for a budget alternative, as mentioned above by @Adam Burgess

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N28 said:

Home and live both specification needed 

To me home and live I would use two different setup because of the size difference in the spaces, amp power required for one versus the other, and speaker size difference and your playing position and how far out the speaker develops it full sound.   The bigger the speaker the further out it develops it full sound.     Even in a home setup in my setup a bedroom converted to music room I'd love to have 8" studio monitors but they would be too loud to run at level they'd sound good and my apartment neighbor would hate me. 

So even before getting to this brand and model there is a lot to figure out on speaker size and power.   Same goes for live.   There is no one size fits all answer. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't bring studio monitors to gigs personally.

You could use live PA monitors at home though it's not ideal, so if I only had the budget for one and I was needing both, I'd get PA speakers.  As noted above, headphones is an option at home.  Actually, considering I use IEM, it's an option for live monitoring too :D  Though we do have a PA with speakers of course for the audience.

I've found that my Modx (and any other keyboard really) sounds better on more expensive speakers as a rule, particularly piano.  That said, I haven't tried all that many.  The best I've used for keyboards was a QSC k10.2 and it sounded great.  I've used a variety of cheaper ones and piano usually sounds ok at best; synth and organ are more forgiving IMO.   I have found, and read, that one thing you get with more expensive speakers is good performance at higher volumes, while things are more even if you don't turn up...so that is a consideration.  I know my cheapie "Podium Pro" brand powered monitors can't be turned up very far without distortion despite the fact that they are big heavy 12" speakers...they were cheap and have cheap components.

Whether or not you play in the bass registers is another thing to consider.  I don't, and so could easily use an 8 or 10 inch speaker without a worry for the bass and no thought for a sub.

• Like 1