Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear you always wanted but had to wait to acquire

I always wanted a Rhodes but never made a real attempt to get one. 

Even when electromechanical KBs were being trashed in favor of DX7s and other synths and ROMplers, I did not rescue a Rhodes. 

Instead, I enjoyed the synth, sampler and ROMpler technology of the 1980s and beyond.  A Rhodes facsimiles was good enough for many years.

Thanks to brotha Dave @Doerfler, I was able to get the perfect Rhodes.:wave:

I didn't have to scour the planet looking for my Rhodes either.😁😎

• Like 1
  • Love 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 5/15/2023 at 3:19 AM, zukskywalker said:

I will never forget that day. It was my first b3 and I was 12. 

I totally get ya! I was around 8 years old and my grandad took me to his local club and I started some lessons from his friend who was the resident organist.

After a beat up upright piano I was lucky enough to have at home given to us for free, this was the first electronic instrument I played which wasn't a toy Yamaha. Kicking a real Leslie in was just gorgeous. I will never forget that moment when it ramped up! Sounded massive and fell in love that day!

I started taking organ lessons in 1975, my sophomore year in high school here in Ventura County. My cousin lived right around the corner from Heck Music in the city of Ventura, then a fairly large music store in the area. He was taking guitars lessons at the time, so we were both starting to investigate gear at Heck's, not knowing anything at this point - just going by looks or what we saw in Circus magazine.

Heck's must have a had a very good rep calling on them for the recently released Cordovox portable organs, because that first  day I walked in I saw one of each in the entire line, but the coolest was what is now known as the "White Elephant", the CDX-0652, a combination organ and "Moog synthesizer". My eyes just popped out!

uvkihnno8idrkqhj0age.jpg.13dfad1d37f939e93e19f53d5a681a57.jpg

Well, needless to say it was well out of my meager budget for an organ, but that thing always stuck in my head. Someday I will have one I said to myself!!! But the one thing I did buy that day at Heck's was the very first issue of Keyboard Magazine, with Chick Corea on the cover (I had no earthly idea who he was).  I went back to buy each issue, which jumpstarted my knowledge of everything "keyboards" very quickly. 

I somehow was told that Castle Music in Goleta (just north of Santa Barbara) was a Yamaha dealer, which Heck Music was not, and they had a mostly affordable YC-10 organ for around $350 that I decide to investigate. It was a push but I sold my Yamaha Mini Enduro 60 to pay for the organ (Yamaha for a Yamaha!). BUT, while there, I saw their top of the line organs, the YC-45d and the YC-30 single manual. Drool worthy, and unobtainable, but sexy and awesome!!! Again, I thought "someday".

sbf3aizzjftfshrexgxt.jpg.029d68a91ccdf5162ae9df28e4cbe085.jpg

Fast forward to 1999 or 2000, eBay is a thing, but not huge yet. But the internet allows one to really start looking for unrequited keyboard love. I found a White Elephant somewhere on the east coast, and had it crated and shipped via Amtrak. Check! And the Recycler, a weekly classified ads paper in SoCal was still in full swing, and I found both a YC-45d and a YC30 (with original stands) in different ads around the same time for relatively little money. Check!

Now the reality was that I had two young kids, and although I was working for good money I really didn't have much time to actually play them. So they sat. But I did sell them to friends and I know where they are if I ever wanted to get them back. Which I don't. But as is in life sometimes, the hunt was almost as much fun as actually getting them. 

twgx0ya9fo9mh1nx10nq.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cool 1