Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New synths at Superbooth 2023

6 minutes ago, hurricane hugo said:

I heard one note before the synth sound vanished.

Worked for me. TBH not a very effective demo, because there's very little use of expression (lip/bite pressure, breath, etc.). It sounds like note on/note off and nothing else.

What is the wind controller used in that video?

Cheers, Mike.

3 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Tiptop Audio announced their ART control signal and modules that support ART

https://tiptopaudio.com/art/

They also announced 2 new Tiptop Buchla modules:

https://tiptopaudio.com/buchla/

Perfect Circuit's writeup on the Tiptop modules and system. There's a lot here:   https://www.perfectcircuit.com/signal/tiptop-art-modules-explained?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=featured-article&utm_content=tiptop-art-modules-explained&fbclid=IwAR058o9q0oVKauS2SUw8x2TfKthENSKV_d7-t8VE2NSBiAtU9C36Hp8-o0w

On 5/11/2023 at 11:00 AM, mate stubb said:

Too. Much. Reverb.

As an aside, that was really refreshing that Behringer went mono, and dry, for their Pro 800 demo.

That Obx8 desktop would be very enticing.  Probably too much money for live use in my band but that form factor would be better for me.

One wishlist item I have is a hardware tabletop vocoder.  Roland had a boutique one (rp03 I think) but it's not being made.  There's a few options out there, I might even go for the Behringer vc340 even though I certainly don't need another keyboard.   It's a completely illogical purchase but I think I could really have fun with it :)   If the Hydrasynth explorer or tabletop had vocoding that would be a no-brainer.

49 minutes ago, Stokely said:

One wishlist item I have is a hardware tabletop vocoder.  Roland had a boutique one (rp03 I think) but it's not being made.  There's a few options out there, I might even go for the Behringer vc340 even though I certainly don't need another keyboard.   It's a completely illogical purchase but I think I could really have fun with it :)   If the Hydrasynth explorer or tabletop had vocoding that would be a no-brainer.

Roland Aira Compact E-4.  You can use any MIDI keyboard you already have

On 5/11/2023 at 5:23 PM, GovernorSilver said:

Very short on details at the moment but looks neat

https://www.thingstone.com/

CaseV4Edges_2023-Apr-03_03-06-15PM-000_C

The Thingstone inventor posted this on another forum

In my spare time I do some songwriting and play in a band. And I mostly do traditional Drums/Guitar/Vocal based music.

I always had the issue when staring a new song and getting Ideas down, that the DAW distracted me too much. Either by email-notifications or simply by having too many features. Oftentimes I got lost in optimizing everything, and forgot the melodies/riffs I had in my head.

For a long time I’ve been looking for a device that would help me with this.
I tried the iPad, but I felt disconnected because of the touch Interface.
I tried the MPC/Force and didn’t like the loop based approach (and too many features)
I tried the Tascam/Zoom Multitrack recorder. But they make it really hard to rearrange parts and are better suited if you already have a finished Idea.

Finally I bought an OP-1 and was inspired by the linear tape-style workflow. I didn’t care about the synths/drum machines. But the tape was great.
Unfortunately It didn’t quite fit into my studio. I have XLR Mics, 1/4" outputs on my Guitar/Synths.
It’s missing basic features like Count-in, Punch-in & Undo.
And 4 Tracks is simply not enough for me (I do a lot of Guitar doubling)
Also the display is so minuscule, that you don’t really see what you’re doing when playing an external Instrument.

That’s why I started building Track8 3 years ago.
I’m a Software Engineer in may day job. And I like solving problems I care about.

I do care about the nitty gritty details like Audio/Midi Latency/Jitter. And I want to optimize for them as much as possible. (and make them public). But I built the device for a very specific niche.

Regarding additional features that I got asked about a lot ( like 8 inputs/outputs, CV in/out. …)
They are simply not in my narrow view of music making.

The value proposition of Track8 is to write songs/compose without distractions.
The limited features are by design. My intention was not to build a full fledged DAW in a box.
Track8 is easy to learn and to use and will stay this way.
I will only implement new features if they fit this philosophy.

I know that SuperBooth probably was not the best place to present the Device for the first time. But it’s kind of local to me and they accept unfinished Products/Prototypes.
And having a barebone website also didn’t help to clear up the confusion about the Product.
These are all things I’ll learn from, and improve in the future.

So … sorry that some of you had high hopes that Track8 would be the perfect device for your DrumMachine/Synth/Sampler/Modular/… workflow.
But it’s simply not.