Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite time travel movies/shows

Lots of good suggestions here.  Let me add "Time Crimes," a Spanish film from 2007.  Truly one of the better ones. 

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

3 hours ago, bill5 said:

He was also great in Time Bandits :)

I still haven't seen that! Or 'Brazil'.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

On 5/11/2023 at 1:11 PM, Canoehead said:

The best time travel movie of all time will be released on May 23, 2027!  It follows the adventures of a hack keyboard player who travels back to 2023 to post in a forum about time travel movies and tv shows.

Which inevitably reminds me of...

kb019.jpg

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

reminds me of this...

ScreenShot2023-05-19at8_37_13PM.jpg.3fe3d7759ad31263190cf0a23ad0a5eb.jpg

lol - that wouldn't happen in an hour, but yeah that's another point against travelling back in time...unless you travel back in a space ship. Damn it Scotty, we need more power! 

8 hours ago, bill5 said:

lol - that wouldn't happen in an hour, but yeah that's another point against travelling back in time...unless you travel back in a space ship. Damn it Scotty, we need more power! 

Actually, it would. If you take only the translation of Earth around the Sun, one hour corresponds to approximately 100000km or 60000miles. Now, if we consider the translation of the solar system around the galaxy center, the galaxy's translation... That cartoon is brilliant!!!

• Like 2

So many of them these days, especially if you widen the scope to include multiverse, timeline variants.

Already mentioned here but repeated for emphasis. The four-season show Travelers is fantastic. So is the German show Dark.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

1 minute ago, Magpel said:

So many of them these days, especially if you widen the scope to include multiverse, timeline variants.

Already mentioned here but repeated for emphasis. The four-season show Travelers is fantastic. So is the German show Dark.

Oh, also Man in the High Castle.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

13 hours ago, EVC said:

Actually, it would. If you take only the translation of Earth around the Sun, one hour corresponds to approximately 100000km or 60000miles. Now, if we consider the translation of the solar system around the galaxy center, the galaxy's translation... That cartoon is brilliant!!!

Wow, my bad thanks - again the cartoon is funny either way. :)

On 5/19/2023 at 5:38 PM, AnotherScott said:

reminds me of this...

ScreenShot2023-05-19at8_37_13PM.jpg.3fe3d7759ad31263190cf0a23ad0a5eb.jpg

Funny cartoon! Not that this is funny but it reminds me of teleportation stories around the Philadelphia experiment where the human lab mice materialized blended with physical matter like a wall. What is funny about the Philly experiment stories is that they probably evolved from hear-say. I have observed experiments where something is verbally passed on to an adjacent person eventually to be revealed after multiple handoffs. It is funny as long as everyone makes an honest effort to do their part. Some people might deliberately throw a wrench in the gears just to get a laugh. In the case of the PE stories, they are likely to have began as references to degaussing which makes ships invisible to mines. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2023 at 11:05 AM, Synthaholic said:

...'Time After Time', starring Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Wells, Mary Steenburgen as his 20th century love interest...It was the movie where McDowell and Steenburgen met and eventually married....

Mary Steenburgen seemed to end up being associated with plain Jane school teacher stereotypes in the Western genre, in my mind at least. I certainly never thought of her as attractive and even sexy. Ted Danson became a regular on Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm. If not familiar with the show, it started with most of the cast including guests having very limited information and winging it when filming. Larry's premise was that the more scripted it was the less funny it would be. He abandoned that approach after the second season (IIRC). The first season was amazingly funny.

Sometimes the characters are playing themselves. One of the best at playing himself has been Ted Danson. He is married to Mary Steenburgen. In the first season there was an episode called "Mary" in which Larry develops a crush on her. I believe we are seeing Ted Danson based on what I have observed of him in interviews. I have not seen enough of Mary Steenburgen to know. (Well I really could not know whether either just have a made up character they perform as their public persona). But the way she has portrayed herself on that show, especially that episode, she could very well be a sexy and charming woman. Although it has not necessarily been apparent on the outside, much of this comes from within anyway. She had to overcome the plain Jane school teacher baggage in the process. At the least she comprehends A. Plain Jane school teacher in the Western genre and B. Sexy charismatic contemporary woman personas. If you are going to act you have to have a general understanding of people and personality types. That seems to be an increasingly rare ability.

TNT has just begun a time travel series called "The Lazarus Project," which despite a few inevitable story tropes, seems enjoyably higher-brow than usual. The mechanisms are much more adult in general. Its not at all a kid-style fantasy series and the cast is engaging. I have to see where it leads after the project manager said "Every time we save humanity from being wiped off the face of the earth, we go for tea, warm cocktails and karaoke." Hm... 🤔

• Like 1

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, but:

"City on the Edge of Forever" (Star Trek: The Original Series) with Joan Collins MUST be mentioned. One of the best shows of all time regardless of genre. When I first saw this as a little kid, I was profoundly moved and upset by the end. Just amazing TV.

"Star Trek" has a number of good time travel episodes.

"Interstellar"

• 3 weeks later...

I really like "Strange New Worlds". And I love time-travel. 

However, that wasn't my favorite episode of theirs.

-I really would like "SNW" to separate itself from Captain Kirk.

- This is the second time they've had Kirk on their episode, and both were alternate timelines.

But there were some good moments there. I will read the review later.

12 hours ago, bill5 said:

Might want to check the title of the thread :)  

I saw it...  just thought I'd mix it up a little since I like so many of them.  I don't think I could pick a favorite. 🙂

• 2 months later...

Amazon Prime.. I just saw episode 5 of Solos ("Leah")... it's a stand-alone story... I thought this was a good and different take on a time travel story. Just 30 minutes if you're looking for a brief diversion.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Nobody starring Jerod Leto. I thought it was well done. It is particularly successful at conveying deep consequences of events and choices in our lives. It is about the life of a 100+ year old man described to a journalist. You wonder whether you live all the possible consequences of different options. There is a lot of attention to detail. I always appreciate it when they carefully cast people representing the same characters at different ages. Here the casting is plausible. I am a romantic. Great loves lost or found can make great subplots. This is the most normal character I have seen Jerod Leto play. The jury was still out on him. I had only seen him play bizarre characters. Now I am certain he is a great actor.

There are many children and teens in this film and all are up to the task. Credit is due the actors who portrayed the adults at 15 and 9, especially Jarod Leto's character Nemo. Sometimes the "star" gets the attention while a significant portion of a film is handled by others portraying them at different ages, (i.e. Fried Green Tomatoes was carried by Mary Stewart Masterson yet Jessica Tandy who was just being herself and hardly acting got the attention). Leto is excellent covering all the adult ages including his character Nemo at 119 years old. However Thomas Byrne was excellent as Nemo age 9 and Toby Regbo was excellent as Nemo age 15. Juno Temple was excellent as Anna age 15 as was Clare Stone as Elise age 15. Although the girls who played Anna and Elise at 9 were good they were mostly just looks, expressions and behaviors without dialog. But even the other kids, Nemo's brother and sisters for instance, were good at their small parts. It really shows the producers were aiming for a high quality product. Everyone acts well and resembles their alter-age counterparts.

• 2 months later...

Bodies on Netflix has just started. It is described as a 2023 limited series and I assume there are 8 episodes in Season 1 of an unknown number of seasons and all are currently available.

After the trailer and most of S1 E1 I see a lot worth watching more for. 

So far there is substance behind everything (story, acting, casting, attention to detail of the various settings, etc.). 

Speaking of substance, one glaring thing about Travelers which bothered me enough to lose interest in viewing the entire series is that everyone seemed to try to do too much with too little. It reminded me of how daytime soap operas are designed so you can miss episodes and not miss anything because they constantly remind you of what is happening. (I have seen enough to confirm this although it was my sister who pointed it out and I never watched them routinely). Everyone in Travelers always seems like they are overacting and each character repeats the same personal struggle. The producers seem to have had a low opinion of the audience’s intelligence.

• 3 weeks later...

spacer.png

Gen-Xer here who grew up on the time travel subgenre...'Back to the Future' trilogy, the 'Bill and Ted' trilogy, the 'Terminator' trilo...okay just the first two movies
'The Matrix' kinda sorta qualifies but the first one was all that mattered.

As for TV shows, the original 'Doctor Who', 'Quantum Leap' and though I'm no big Marvel-head, the time-travel aspect of 'Loki' on Disney+ got me hooked. For all time always!

As for music, Time keeps flowin' like a river, time it won't give me time 'cos time makes lovers feel, time after time. WHAT TIME IS IT?!?! I got too much time on my hands.