Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite time travel movies/shows

What about the unlucky to miss out on an academy award Timecop starring JCVD?

I love many of the movies already mentioned.  Time travel is a tantalising concept.

It fascinates me also that every time we look into the night sky we are travelling deep into the past.

20 hours ago, bill5 said:

I always liked this kind of thing, but it's so easy to do it badly :)  But there have been some good ones...some of my favs:

Movies

- Edge of Tomorrow

- Terminator 1 and 2

- Groundhog Day

- Happy Death Day (and its sequel)

- Interstellar 

- Time Bandits 

Shows

- ST Voyager where Kim's screw up dooms Voyager to crash into a glacier

- ST orig series the one with Joan Collins

- ST orig series the one with Teri Garr

- Various episodes of Twilight Zone

- Various episodes of Quantum Leap

Great picks!  You get extra points for including Star Trek's "City on the Edge of Forever" (Joan Collins)!  Also, I just watched EDGE OF TOMORROW for about the 7th time, two days ago.  So well paced and edited.

BACK TO THE FUTURE, as Jose EB5AGV mentioned, is way up there.  I like most of the others that have also been mentioned.  I'm an absolute sucker for this sub-genre.

Some others that I liked:

TIME AFTER TIME

THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT

SOURCE CODE

PREDESTINATION - just because it is the ultimate mindjob movie.  :>)

BOSS LEVEL

And many others.  For example, I like a little indie movie, called LONG WEEKEND.  Like SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED, it's character based, and the ending is very satisfying.

2001 A Space Odyssey

The Final Countdown

Terminator Genesys

They are not time travel however if Memento can be included so can non-linear sequencing: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Babel, Crash, Jackie Brown and Atonement. In the case of Atonement you also see what might have been. 

Playing with your perception of time and reality: Moon, Vanilla Sky and Jacob's Ladder

I am hoping Tom Cruise follows through on a sequel to Edge of Tomorrow and that the bar is as high as the Top Gun sequel before he green lights it. 

Outlander: I read the first book of the series. I had not known who its target audience was. It is definitely designed  for a woman's perspective / fantasy piece. The finale cliff hanger ending you just would never see otherwise. The television adaptation is watchable. I have caught an episode every once in a while. I think dudes pan it but secretly like it. It has everything dudes like and maybe more. It just has more of a woman's fantasy of a heroic POV: Outlander

On 5/9/2023 at 7:35 AM, JamPro said:

Anyone remember this.....?

It's about time, it's about space.  Strange people in the strangest place.

It's about time, it's about flight.  Travelin' faster than the speed of light.

Old Sherwood Schwartz TV comedy from the 1960s.  The theme song is the thing I remember most about the show.

I believe the first season had the astronauts in the caveman era, where the cave-persons all spoke in pidgin English.

In the second half of the season they inverted it, and the astronauts came home and brought the proto-Geico folks with them, still speaking pidgin English of course.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

You'd be surprised I'm not yet 30, yet I'd pick "Sliders" as my favorite time travel TV series.

Watched is as a teen and last year re-watched the first two seasons which are great because I felt nostalgic.

I know it's not technically *time* travel but who cares, great show.

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

12 Monkeys - TV Series  2015–2018

"Follows the journey of a time traveler from the post-apocalyptic future who appears in present day on a mission to locate and eradicate the source of a deadly plague that will nearly destroy the human race."

The initial plot is similar to the movie.  However, it develops into a very different story.  Imo, one of the finest time travel si-fi shows.  Many surprises and plot twists that are not contrived plot 'fixes'.  The first season starts slow, but later picks up the action.  And, a great series ending last episode.  The producers/writers ended this series with intelligence and class.

• Like 1

The best time travel movie of all time will be released on May 23, 2027!  It follows the adventures of a hack keyboard player who travels back to 2023 to post in a forum about time travel movies and tv shows.

Also, “Yesterday’s Enterprise”.

23 minutes ago, Canoehead said:

The best time travel movie of all time will be released on May 23, 2027!  It follows the adventures of a hack keyboard player who travels back to 2023 to post in a forum about time travel movies and tv shows.

I've seen that movie, it was a good one!

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

I have to start with a book - Jack McDevitt's Time Travelers Never Die. So hoping it gets made into a movie someday.

Movies:

The Time Machine remake

Safety Not Guaranteed

Terminator series

Looper

Edge Of Tomorrow

TV shows:

The Owl House's "Elsewhere and Elsewhen" episode. Time pools!

Star Trek's "City on the edge of Forever"

Doctor Who's Amy Pond story arc

Ending this with another book: Footsteps Of Thunder. What Jurassic Park should've been.

I enjoy this genre.

Some things I've seen recently that maybe haven't been mentioned already.

Non-SciFi

Palm Springs (Hulu) - Kind of a different take on Ground Hog day. Good comedy

Future Man (Hulu) - You could call it sci-fi but its more comedy.  A bit crass and over the top but I enjoyed.

41 (Amazon) - Can travel back to yesterday and try to undo the past.

When We First Met (Hulu I think) - Rom-com about a dude going back to get a girl

Map of Tiny Perfect Things (Amazon) - Groundhog day like rom-com.

2:22 (Amazon) - Action drama where I guy keeps reliving that moment to save some girl.

11.22.63 (Amazon) - Limited series where a guy can travel back to try and prevent Kennedy assassination.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (Netflix) - Totally weird drama that moves back and forth through time

SciFi-ish

Out of Time (Amazon) - Kind of low budget but there's aliens and time travel, always a winner for me.

Umbrella Academy (Netflix) - Not so much about time travel as superheros but I loved it.

ARQ (Netflix) - Action movie about people in a time loop

Travelers (Netflix) - has been mentioned.  Good show, great concept, a bit low budget and cheesy at times but I loved it. Too bad it was abandoned.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

6 hours ago, Mills Dude said:

Travelers (Netflix) - has been mentioned.  Good show, great concept, a bit low budget and cheesy at times but I loved it. Too bad it was abandoned.

Although the last few seconds teased a future direction (pardon the pun),  at least the three season arc did wrap up very nicely. Unlike Dark Matter which after 3 seasons ended with a never-resolved cliffhanger! (There were enough good payoffs along the way, though, that I'd still recommend it, though its OT for this thread since there's no time travel in it.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

21 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

at least the three season arc did wrap up very nicely.

Interesting that I was going to post a similar comment. About the teaser, yes, it could be, but I see it more like a tongue in cheek geeky software programmer style ending. 🙂

BTW, MacLaren potentially creates a totally new timeline making that move at the end.

On 5/9/2023 at 3:36 PM, wineandkeyz said:

Woody Allen's "Sleeper" sort of fits the bill.

When I was 13, working at Wurlitzer in New Jersey, the mall it was in had a theater that would let me watch movies for free. I watched 'Sleeper' over 20 times, easily. Still my favorite Woody Allen movie, by far.

Another one to add to the list is 1979's 'Time After Time', starring Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Wells, Mary Steenburgen as his 20th century love interest, and the late, great David Warner as Jack the Ripper, who travels to modern-day NYC to continue his killing spree. It was the movie where McDowell and Steenburgen met and eventually married. And David Warner, who had such a fantastic career, played three notable Star Trek characters, and also was a very close friend of Patrick Stewart, from their Royal Shakespeare days.

image.png.7066ec970df7a4eee4e035956ba13dd3.png

• Like 2

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin