Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite time travel movies/shows

I always liked this kind of thing, but it's so easy to do it badly :)  But there have been some good ones...some of my favs:

Movies

- Edge of Tomorrow

- Terminator 1 and 2

- Groundhog Day

- Happy Death Day (and its sequel)

- Interstellar 

- Time Bandits 

Shows

- ST Voyager where Kim's screw up dooms Voyager to crash into a glacier

- ST orig series the one with Joan Collins

- ST orig series the one with Teri Garr

- Various episodes of Twilight Zone

- Various episodes of Quantum Leap

• Love 1

Russian Doll! Such a cool variation on the genre. First season is a little more Groundhog Day, but the second season is closer to what we’d think of as time travel, even if it’s still a bit of a deconstruction.

My wonderful, late sci-fi nerd cousin Andy apparently was thrilled with the original Terminator movie because “they understood how time travel worked!” But when T2 came out, he left the theater horrified that they messed up the mechanics relative to the first film. His wife had to gently remind him that nobody *actually* knows how time travel works… 😆

• Like 2

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Anyone remember this.....?

It's about time, it's about space.  Strange people in the strangest place.

It's about time, it's about flight.  Travelin' faster than the speed of light.

Old Sherwood Schwartz TV comedy from the 1960s.  The theme song is the thing I remember most about the show.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JamPro said:

Anyone remember this.....?

It's about time, it's about space.  Strange people in the strangest place.

It's about time, it's about flight.  Travelin' faster than the speed of light.

Old Sherwood Schwartz TV comedy from the 1960s.  The theme song is the thing I remember most about the show.

Another forgotten 1960s time travel show was The Time Tunnel. It lasted 1 season. Created by Irwin Allen who also did ‘60s TV shows Lost In Space and Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea before huge ‘70s disaster films including The Poseidon Adventure & The Towering Inferno. 

Avengers Endgame!

Tomorrow, Tomorrow, and Tomorrow plus The Road Not Taken (The Orville). On my mind because I've been rewatching this series on Disney+. My conclusion: The best Star Trek since TNG, and it's not even Star Trek! 

In (somewhat) recent stuff, my favorite series is Travelers. If you like that one, more good ones along similar lines are Continuum (the 2012 Canadian series) and the 12 Monkeys show inspired by the movie. 

Something very different, offbeat, and ultimately quite clever is the low-budget "The History of Time Travel" (Amazon Prime). Unlike the others I mentioned, this is just a single (short) movie, not a series.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Never thought of time travel as a separate category they were just Sci Fi movies that time travel was aspect of the story.    One book movie I like that so far no one as mentioned is.....Slaughterhouse-Five  by Kurt Vonnegut.    Watched that movie many times. 

• Like 1

Excellent choices, I'll add two that are missing from my personal List

1. About Time

While the time travel aspect is a little wacky, I found it to be a witty, heart warming, wonderful movie.  

2. If I hadn't met you / (Si no t’hagués conegut) 

Wonderful series from Catulinia, Spain, not very well known.   More parallel universes than time travel, but I wanted to include it since I enjoyed it so much.  Grieving father who lost his family meets an elderly scientist with the technology to travel to parallel universes.  Starts slow, but has a profound, touching story .  

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I'd say my favorite that involves it is a relatively recent one, and the time aspect being a twist I'd like to spoiler it, but am not seeing the option here...if there's some markup that can do it please clue me in.

For older ones where it's not a spoiler at all, 12 monkeys was always a favorite.  Memento is a really cool concept though the time aspect is how the movie plays out and not "time travel".

Overall as a sci-fi fan I find time travel a bit tiresome...it can be a lazy way out.   For example while I thought Avengers: Endgame was very well-done, you pretty much knew time travel was going to be involved before you started the movie, because they weren't going to leave half the Earth dead...

Chris Marker's "La Jetée"--the inspiration for "12 monkeys", and possibly my favorite movie in any genre.  It's an odd little thing--less than half an hour, black and white, almost entirely stills--maybe it'll only appeal to some narrow intersection between fans of science fiction and the French new wave.  But I find it really affecting.  And, worst case, if you hate it, hey, you've only lost 28 minutes....

28 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Overall as a sci-fi fan I find time travel a bit tiresome...it can be a lazy way out.   For example while I thought Avengers: Endgame was very well-done, you pretty much knew time travel was going to be involved before you started the movie, because they weren't going to leave half the Earth dead...

Actually we didn't know that, because we didn't know that Thanos destroyed the infinity stones beforehand. They had to go back in time to get them. Still my favorite time travel movie, my favorite Marvel movie, just about my favorite movie of all time... 

Resistance is futile: I must select the movie "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" -- which was my very first date with my wife (we're both such ST nerds!)  TOS crew has to travel back to 20th-century San Francisco to collect some humpback whales.  Funniest installment in the entire movie canon, and closest in vibe to the TOS TV series. "Where do you keep the nuclear wessels?"; "A keyboard. How quaint."; "Berkeley... a little too much LDS".  Classic.

• Like 2

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

It's a series, not a movie, and animated, but I like the way Rick and Morty would have hundreds, maybe thousands, of timelines slopping together, sometimes to the point of ludicrous mundane drudgery.

Idiocracy.

• Like 1

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

2 hours ago, Bill H. said:

Actually we didn't know that, because we didn't know that Thanos destroyed the infinity stones beforehand. They had to go back in time to get them. Still my favorite time travel movie, my favorite Marvel movie, just about my favorite movie of all time... 

I really enjoyed the movie, except I hated the deus ex machina that was Captain Marvel.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

6 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

In (somewhat) recent stuff, my favorite series is Travelers.

I totally agree, it is interesting under several angles (IMO). I am watching the series again and enjoying it as it were the first time.

In my list:

Captain Nova: I found after a few minutes watching that it was more targeted at teens, but I watched through the end and it is fun, despite the predictable end.

The Adam Project: mix of sci-fi and action movie (more action than sci) but still, fun. I like Ryan Reynolds acting.

The Tomorrow War: another mix of sci-fi and action, again more action than sci. I also like Chis Pratt acting.

Edge or Tomorrow, yet another sci-fi/action mix, with an interesting angle. And it has Emily Blunt. 😍

OT: Somebody mentioned Passengers with Chris Pratt/Jennifer Lawrence. Not a TT movie properly, but it was OK until the spaceship stopped spinning after losing energy just for the sake of the dramatic sequence on the pool. It drives me mad just recalling the scene.

• Like 1

For those with a few minutes of time to waste :laugh: here's Marvel's version of time travel explained by Professor Hulk - which differs from the classic model:

Here's the closely related sacred timeline described my Miss Minutes:

... and the timeline explained by The Ancient One: