Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shake up at Gibson , new CEO named today . James 'JC' Curleigh Steps Down, Cesar Gueikian Appointed as President and Interim CE

Saw this news and then found this vid, KDH is a pretty realistic about guitar news, and he says it better than I could. 

Lok

• Like 2

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

What's the longest anyone has lasted in that job lately? Kind of like the British PM's at this point. If you blink, it's someone new.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

50 minutes ago, Mark Schmieder said:

What's the longest anyone has lasted in that job lately? Kind of like the British PM's at this point. If you blink, it's someone new.

After Henry J it was JC, so there hasn't been much turnover at all. I suspect what this means is that they're preparing to flip the company. Five years seems to be the average holding time for venture capitalists.

I think my non-disparagement clause might still be in effect. So obviously, I would never say anything disparaging :) . In fact, I wish Gibson well, so I'll help out with a new marketing slogan:

Gibson - Not Your Father's Guitar!

It's your grandfather's guitar

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ah, I guess all the ownership changes made me think the CEO was rotating at the same time. My apologies. o many fund managers have had their fingers in the pie at this point, kind of like GC as well, eh?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

On 5/3/2023 at 2:35 AM, Caevan O’Shite said:

GZsBbG3.jpg

Pancho Villa, I presume?

It's an interesting paradigm, Fender is allowed to create all sorts of variations on their guitars, Martin did well with their less expensive models with laminated necks, plastic fingerboards etc. but Gibson gets almost no slack regarding any sort of changes or updates to their instruments. 

When we add in the unsolvable problem of wood availability, I'm glad I bought my 86 ES335 Studio in 1988, I got one with an ebony fretboard. And I picked up an early 60's single cut Melody Maker some time back. It's both a booger and a beater but it has a great neck. The body is a single piece of Honduras Mahogany, so is the neck and the fretboard is Brazilian Rosewood. 

I also have an old Harmony flat top that has a top and back that are single pieces of Honduras Mahogany. Those huge trees are gone, "Honduras" Mahogany is now grown in Fiji. 

Probably not "environmentally friendly" either, but my newer acoustic guitars are graphite. No wood at all. 

It takes a long time to grow trees...

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.