Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hearing aids

I've come to the point where my creeping deafness is starting to inconvenience me daily. My inability to train my wife to stop having conversations with me from 2 rooms away, and problems understanding phone conversations are starting to make me feel isolated.

I'd like to dip my toe into hearing aids but am not interested in going the ridiculously expensive route. More affordable versions are now starting to appear OTC for much less money.

Anybody tried any of these less expensive alternatives? I'd like something that I can at least tweak the response curve with a phone app or something.

• Like 1

Moe

---

Apple says they are working a setting for their AirPods to have a hearing aid type function.   Makes sense because all the earbuds have mic's for taking phone calls and newer noise cancelling features use the mic's to listen and analyze foreground from background sound.   

So check the higher end earbuds from various companies maybe one of them have a hear aid function already.  Have to cost less than real hearing aids. 

I'm there with you; thanks to my two best buddies both with 100 watt tube amps into 4x12 cabinets my hearing is bad, especially one ear which i estimate at about 60% hearing loss (it has a blown tweeter)...  I've been avoiding the hearing aid route because my experience with glasses (for distance) was as soon as I started wearing them then I couldn't live without them, before I bought them I struggled with distance but it was still manageable; as soon as i started wearing glasses then I no longer then had the option of not wearing them, completely destroyed my ability to even 'struggle' seeing distance.  Based on that I've been putting off hearing aids, I'm at the struggling stage but I know if I start wearing them then I won't be able to hear shxt without them, so I'm stupidly putting off the purchase.  it's inevitable though ....

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I know zip about hearing aids, so it was quite a shock when my mom mentioned getting one and hearing what the prices tend to be.

Quite frankly, that sounds like a racket.  I fail to see why "good" hearing aids--which I would presume don't need to be full frequency range, you need conversation range more than anything--should cost freaking 3-5 thousand dollars.

For any younger types out there--get away from loud drummers and loud amps NOW while you still have hearing left.  Learn from the mistakes of elders :)    Practice quieter.  Make sure everyone learns songs on their own time so they don't sit there fumbling through songs 10 times at volume 11.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear you're getting there. I've been afraid of this for a while myself.

I don't have direct experience, but have been making hearing aid purchase decisions for my mom for a while now...we are on the 2nd or 3rd set of aids from Costco now, all purchased before the OTC options were approved and started coming to market.

My take: a good audiologist does bring value to the experience. Not all hearing loss is the same (although we can probably make some generalizations based on age). But the severity, and the specific areas of loss (along specific frequency spectrum per ear, for example) are the kinds of things that a good exam will reveal.

Everywhere I've looked, OTC is recommended for "mild to moderate" loss only. This makes sense to me, as my mom has "profound" loss, and the programming that goes into her aids (and remember hearing loss isn't static, and so subsequent adjustments are necessary) as well as cleaning and occasional fit adjustments that level of loss requires is probably best handled by someone with a level of training and experience. What level of training and experience that these folks are required to have? I'm not sure of that...maybe we have some audiologists here who can chime in.

But for the onset of annoying hearing loss, I could see where OTC might help at a far lower cost (less than $2k vs. twice that much). You've probably seen the same online articles I have...make sure there's a return policy, see if you can try different models and types (in ear unit vs behind the ear, etc.), how to program the units, etc.

Also I'd recommend you also budget for drying unit and similar continual care. And you may want to spring for an initial audiologist exam just to get an idea what you're dealing with before pulling the trigger on anything.

Mo, 

I bought basic rechargeable $100 Audiens for my 87 year old mother and I was impressed with the product for the price.  I forget the price cut offs but you can get basic and then remote controlled or app controlled etc. and price goes up.  After 3 months she lost both and so for that possibility/eventuality cheaper the better.

She had previously gone the audiologist $5000 route and had nothing but problems.  With the Audiens she was in business right away and they worked well (tested them myself) - I didn't have to repeat myself and she watched TV at something less than 120 decibels!

Controls (on/off/volume) are small and hard to see (get out your readers and magnifying glass!).

Good luck.

I have the “stock” $1200 per pair Costco aids from 3 years ago.   Piano through them is distorted, so I must use a different program that cuts the highs and overall volume.  Other than that, they have worked well, and the Costco folks are great. I would definitely test a new pair listening to your instrument or music in general somehow before buying.

• Like 1
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

I read an article recently that gives very specific details about their testing procedure and recommendations.  It’s worth giving a read, I did and I’m also shopping - not yet for myself but with my siblings for mom. 

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-over-the-counter-hearing-aids/amp/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I wore Widex aids from an audiologist for 8 years.  My original pair was $5500. All follow-up care outside of repair was "free."  When it was time to audition new aids two years ago the audiologist put me in a pair of Widex $6500 aids. Other than a more pronounced high end I couldn't tell the difference in how day-to-day noises were compressed or emphasized. I didn't buy them. Our town recently got a Costco and now I'm six months into a set of $1600 Philips aids.  After numerous trips to the store for tweaking I can say they're just fine. I began with the rechargeable set of model 9030s but was eventually put off by the practice of schlepping yet another charger on trips. If you forget it you're sunk unless you keep a spare charger in your luggage.  I turned those in a couple of weeks ago and got the new model 9040s with batteries. 

The Philips software (and Widex as well) is better optimized for Apple products. I can't do a totally hands-free call with my Samsung phone. I can hear the call just fine but still have to hold the phone to my mouth. Not a deal-breaker.  I do not have the ability to adjust the curve of the individual programs.  There's more to it than I would've thought and it has to be done at the hearing center. However I can adjust 3 bands of eq for audio streaming. I haven't felt the need to, though, as the basic sound of the Philips is very good. The new model 9040s include an improved way to handle transients like when you touch them or when the wind is blowing. It's noticeably better than the 9030s and much appreciated. No more loud crackle when I scratch my ear or reposition the aid.  I don't know what sort of software Apple or Bose will come up with to make their HA products analogous to an actual aid. Many of the bells and whistles have to do with real-time analyzation and multiband compression and how fast those work to appear invisible to the user. Before tweaking the Philips felt like a blunt instrument. Communication and the skills of the fitter are key. 

Costco will clean the aids while you walk the store, and domes/filters are free. Batteries are dirt cheap for us luddites. They have a six-month demo period. It's really worth considering.  

• Like 2

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I've been wearing hearing aids from a variety of manufacturers for close to 25 years. I wear them all day every day. The technology, features, and wearability have improved greatly over the years. My most recent pair are Widex (since 2017) and prior to that I wore Resound for about six years. I liked both of these brands, have had very few problems with either, and both are still highly regarded brands (and I believe particularly for musicians). My hearing loss, mostly from playing in blues band in the mid-90s, is profound enough that my Audiologist(s) have told me that the over-the-counter aids would not be powerful enough for my hearing loss.

I'd say first you need to determine the extent of your hearing loss at which point you can then decide what level of aids will work for you (over-the-counter etc.). A good Audiologist can also help you dial-in your aids properly, especially important for musicians. Also, I'd say whether buying a new keyboard, computer, or hearing aids, get the best you can reasonably afford. Good luck, check your health insurance for any potential benefit, and if you get some give yourself and brain some time to adjust. It can take a few weeks. It's not ideal to have to wear them, nor do they totally restore my hearing ability, but I am grateful everyday that I have mine. Cheers -

Hearing impaired since birth, wore poor quality HAs until age 32 (there wasn't anything better) when I got the more expensive digital HA.  Huge difference in hearing quality.

I'm skeptical that these "cheap OTC hearing aids" are simply the lower quality ones of yesteryear.

Definitely check your insurance for HA coverage.  Also find an audiologist before you buy.

• Like 1

I was diagnosed some time ago with 36% loss, but it was not because of loud music. Surprising, because I use a pair of Mackie Thumps on stage. and used to work with a guitarist that had a Fender Twin Reverb AND a Traynor on stage. We Were LOUD.

The audiologist said my loss was hereditary because my biggest loss is at 3K, but as the tone gets higher, I can actually hear better

I inherited a pair of Oticon Minis which I used for a long time from my mother-in-law. They worked OK, but would fail when I was playing an outdoor Florida gig due to sweat.

I currently use Lexie B2 Powered by Bose

The app that comes with them allow you to make changes to the volume, and bass/treble. Also allows you to change from full area hearing, to forward only, helpful if you're in a noisy room. They have some pretty good noise cancellation, too. But, you cannot pair them with your phone for anything other than the control app.

The difference is remarkable. It is so much easier to hear with them. And since I play in church a lot, wearing headphones, they work great with them as well. Full cup headphones go over the hearing aid, and you can hear them clearly. I was on the stage once, and could hear the music minister's wife clearly, 15 rows back.

Plus, they are rechargeable, so I never have them crapping out due to low battery

Not what I would call cheap, but at $1K, they are worth it

I had a pair that I got for around $350 at Walmart. Rechargeable, not bluetooth. Came with an app that would do a hearing test using the aide, and would then program itself to what it thought was the correct response curve. They worked pretty well, but I lost one of them during my housing debacle. 

I Do NOT recommend the style where the entire unit fits in your ear. They are, at least to me, uncomfortable, prone to distortion and feedback, and your speaking voice sounds like you're wearing earplugs.  

• Like 1

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I must have done something right, as I can still hear crotales from across the room and my mid-range is in good shape. That amazes me, as my ear drums have taken a hearty pounding. I've attended a few concerts that left my head ringing the next day. I think my subsequent habit of wearing ear plugs paid off. :like:

16 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Uhhh... what?

You are one low-quality guy to post that, but someone had to. :hitt:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

3 minutes ago, David Emm said:

I must have done something right, as I can still hear crotales from across the room and my mid-range is in good shape. That amazes me, as my ear drums have taken a hearty pounding. I've attended a few concerts that left my head ringing the next day. I think my subsequent habit of wearing ear plugs paid off. :like:

You are one low-quality guy to post that, but someone had to. :hitt:

Did my share of "LOUD concert" hearing damage. Somehow, my hearing is still pretty OK. 

I avoid going to hear live music where there is a drummer or an insane sound man now, pretty late in the game but better than nothing. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

23 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Did my share of "LOUD concert" hearing damage. Somehow, my hearing is still pretty OK. 

I avoid going to hear live music where there is a drummer or an insane sound man now, pretty late in the game but better than nothing. 

I'm like you I'm amazed that after all the roadie, live sound, gigging, and recording in back in day before computer and all night mixing getting louder and louder my hearing is still in good shape.   Later in life I spent more time either backstage or doing post production editing where I could control the volume.   Seems to of help save my ears. 

• Like 1

I think I was destined for this. Disregarding all the loud music I played over the years, both my parents lost most of their hearing as they aged. Dad also coached machine gun fire in the Army without wearing ear plugs, which didn't help..

When I was younger I set up a synth in their living room and swept an oscillator. Neither one of them could hear anything much above 3kHz.

Moe

---

The current Consumer Reports has an article about hearing aids - prescription vs. OTC. I finally caved last year and went the prescription route. It’s nice to reconnect with the world (and have better communication with my wife) - and hear a band leader call a tune (instead of joining 8 bars in). Music sounds OK, except with mine (Oticon), a sustained sound has a tiny bit of tremolo. Though I’ll miss the humor that happens when I mis-hear things. Shades of Emily Latella (now there’s a 40+ year old reference).

• Haha 1

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

10 hours ago, NoLights said:

Music sounds OK, except with mine (Oticon), a sustained sound has a tiny bit of tremolo. 

Have your audiologist make you a program where the compressors are turned down or off.  

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a pair from Bossa on 5/2/23, and haven't heard a word sine they confirmed my order by email.  Their contact # seems to be disabled, no responses to emails.  Beginning to think I've been scammed.  Have others had problems with BossaHearing.com?

5 hours ago, Zydecat said:

I ordered a pair from Bossa on 5/2/23, and haven't heard a word sine they confirmed my order by email.  Their contact # seems to be disabled, no responses to emails.  Beginning to think I've been scammed.  Have others had problems with BossaHearing.com?

Yikes!

Moe

---

On 4/28/2023 at 1:09 PM, Docbop said:

Apple says they are working a setting for their AirPods to have a hearing aid type function

I just bought the Airpods Pro 2nd-gen and while the primary purpose was for noise cancellation on flights, I had heard about their quasi-hearing aid abilities and that – plus $50 off the Apple price at Amazon! – tipped the scales. I've had them a few days now and find them very helpful when having conversations in public places that are high in background noise. One happy customer here. I have mild-to-moderate hearing loss and fairly loud tinnitus.

Apple is very careful to not use the term "hearing aid" or even tout them as equivalent to the newer (and less expensive) OTC hearing aids, but I've seen u-tubes by audiologists saying these can help folks with mild-to-moderate hearing loss, and at $200 (what I paid at Amazon) they are way less costly than real hearing aids and even the OTC ones too.

So how are these anything like hearing aids? Well, you can upload an audiogram via the Health app and the H2 chips in these buds will custom-configure an EQ curve to compensate for your specific losses. I used an app called Mimi that administers a hearing test via the Airpods, but you can go to an ENT and get a much more precise audiogram done, then take a picture of that with your iPhone and it will read the data from the picture! Or, you can use the most accurate method which is manually entering the data. You do need an iPhone to do this but it doesn't have to be yours - you can borrow a friend's, and the corrective curve data is stored in the Airpods so you'll be good to go once things are programmed.

This youtube is pretty good in that it gives the pros & cons and does some precise testing to see how accurate the Airpod's corrective curves are (tl:dr... not as accurate as a >$1K prescription hearing aid, no surprise). One big con is that a battery charge will not last a day. That's OK for me since I only need them in certain circumstances, but obviously makes these impractical for those that do need full-time hearing help – although the audiologist here says one can buy two pair of Airpods for less than one pair of even most OTC aids. IMO if you need hearing aids all day, you're probably a candidate for a real hearing aid, not Airpods.

The other big con? Maybe it's that you look like a dork with those little stems sticking out of your ears! Folks may think you're listening to tunes as you converse with them, not knowing you're using Airpods to hear them better.

As for the other stuff: the ANC on these guys is almost scary! I haven't used them on a flight yet, just driving my car - it creates almost total silence, the road noise is just gone (I know, this could be a safety issue but ANC works on steady-state sounds, not something like a car horn!). It's kind of disconcerting at first. I'm looking forward to a flight next month where I'll find out for sure how good the ANC is.