Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

BA-1 based on the CS01

ElmerJFudd

31 minutes ago, timwat said:

I still have a working CS01 sitting right on my bookcase in my office. 

It is a fair statement to say I have never wished for a VST version.

That’s seems a rather strange statement to make. Surely its real appeal is to those that don’t own a physical CS01?? I would have zero interest in a VST of hardware I owned unless I needed to take the sound on the road in a PC for practicality.

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Paul,

Well, having a VST provides in-the-box all sorts of options and possibilities the real mccoy doesn't - programmed manipulation of patch parameters, easy MIDI editing, pristine sound quality (if old hardware has developed issues), just to name a few.

But in my particular case, I've never wished for a VST of the CS01 because I don't find the CS01 particularly compelling as a synth compared to the other hardware I've accumulated over the years, or any of the softsynths already included in the Logic bundle.

In it's day, the CS01 was a fun little wearable with the breath controller, and I used it live for certain bass patches in particular tunes. But not a lot more than that.

For me (and just for me), I've also never pined for a VST version of my very first synth either...a PAiA Stringz 'n Things I soldered together from the kit they sold.

Tim

57 minutes ago, timwat said:

Paul,

Well, having a VST provides in-the-box all sorts of options and possibilities the real mccoy doesn't - programmed manipulation of patch parameters, easy MIDI editing, pristine sound quality (if old hardware has developed issues), just to name a few.

But in my particular case, I've never wished for a VST of the CS01 because I don't find the CS01 particularly compelling as a synth compared to the other hardware I've accumulated over the years, or any of the softsynths already included in the Logic bundle.

In it's day, the CS01 was a fun little wearable with the breath controller, and I used it live for certain bass patches in particular tunes. But not a lot more than that.

For me (and just for me), I've also never pined for a VST version of my very first synth either...a PAiA Stringz 'n Things I soldered together from the kit they sold.

Tim

I still have a CS01 and breath controller. I also have a couple PAiA 4700 modules I never got around to building. I wouldn't want a VST version of either one. But I can see how some other might.

• Like 1

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

5 hours ago, timwat said:

I still have a working CS01 sitting right on my bookcase in my office. 

It is a fair statement to say I have never wished for a VST version.

You can definitely play some club hopping synth parts on that CS01.  Cool enough to drag to your dance band gig?  😂 probably not.  No one ever wants to carry more than they have to on a dance band gig.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Giving it polyphony, 2 osc. and effects seems wise. Having had one, I'm with timwat about it being a limited cousin to most other synths, but I can forgive a lot within a DAW. Layering a couple of instances can be a good deodorant for a weenie image. Eight of these could have some power, after all. It depends on where you are in your "synth journey." Newbies may be fascinated by the nostalgic aspect. We old greybeards, OTOH, are probably getting our Yamaha fix from either a lovingly preserved DX-whichever or a GX-80.

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"