Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spring NAMM 2023 Reports

Geoff Grace

Cool; I was wondering if they'd ever do a new plug-in again. If SuperPlate is good enough, it might replace UltraVerb in my template (I only use the Eventide version for plate reverb, and SoundToys is a spinoff of that company in terms of the personnel at least).

I wonder why we didn't get emails announcing the product and any upgrade pricing for full suite owners?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

3 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

Cool; I was wondering if they'd ever do a new plug-in again. If SuperPlate is good enough, it might replace UltraVerb in my template (I only use the Eventide version for plate reverb, and SoundToys is a spinoff of that company in terms of the personnel at least).

I wonder why we didn't get emails announcing the product and any upgrade pricing for full suite owners?

I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting to notify users until the product is released.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

If that super plate had been out, especially part of the bundle, before I bought Fuse Audio's plate on sale I might have finally gotten Soundtoys  :)   I'm pretty satisfied with where I'm at, other than *maybe* getting Komplete Ultimate if it goes on sale...I'm a bit spooked by the idea of giving money to NI and having them maybe go subscription (there have been rumors for awhile) after seeing Waves attempt it.  Kind of glad there was a backlash over it.

Ah, I thought software was announced on the day of release, when presented at shows, like how Apple operates.

For some reason, the video wouldn't play last night, so I thought it was just a snapshot. The upgrade price of $60 is generous, but I do hope the product (and the associated v5.4 update of the suite) comes out earlier in May, so I can use it for final production on an album I have promised by late June.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

On 4/15/2023 at 4:10 PM, Geoff Grace said:

On the creative controllers front, Eric Netherland demos the Eon-One.Net Netherblade

Very cool!   I can imagine someone using one at a live gig, ripping out a great solo at centre stage!   Eric Netherland seems like a great guy, and very talented.    A guy that a person would like to hang out with.

Putting aside I'm not really any kind of keytar guy in the first place...

How the hell do you play a screen?  Wouldn't you have to be staring at it the whole time to know where you are on it (or am I missing something and it's not a flat screen)?

Love the X/Y pad though, wish more keyboards had that as a control.

• Like 1

I saw this plate simulation with demo, but unfortunately the sound is lousy, and indeed, there are no provisions to make the signal processing free from standard filter and other DSP processing errors that already can be heard all the time everywhere, so why expect a bright accurate, clear and wide spectrum plate subtlety anyway?

Those speakers color a lot, too.

On the interesting side there appears to be Vienna MIR Pro 3D as some form of 3D reverb field designer using GPU offloaded audio processing, which I've been working with myself, but alas, it's not really a field simulator, just a fancy interface, but no means to actually make stereo reverb come out properly from your DAC and audio system. A bit more fun though.

T

45 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Putting aside I'm not really any kind of keytar guy in the first place...

How the hell do you play a screen?  Wouldn't you have to be staring at it the whole time to know where you are on it (or am I missing something and it's not a flat screen)?

Love the X/Y pad though, wish more keyboards had that as a control.

The interface is a non-starter for me in so many ways. We need the raised keys for reference, and we need notes to depress for muscle fatigue and other physiological issues. This is a sloppy-sounding wrist-killer for sure. 

Very glad indeed to see what is clearly going to be the future direction of keybeds, which is to incorporate haptics into the keys themselves. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• 4 weeks later...

My highlights here 

Hammond XK5, Alesis QS8, Yamaha DX7IIFD, Roland XV2020 (SRX-11 & 12), Kawai RX7, Scheidmayer Clavichord, Strymon (Flint, Big Sky, Timeline, Mobius, Ola, El Capistan), Neo Ventilator II