Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: An investment question.

My boyfriend and I bought a package deal a few years ago from someone who was moving. We got a Peavey Bass, a G&K Speaker cabinet and a Carvin 500 watt head, which we have sold. We have got all but $200 from our original investment. We have 2008 Fender American Jazz Bass left. My boyfriend was going to keep it but found that he just didn't like it, he preferres P Bass.

So my question is should we keep this for 20 years+ as an investment for a child, if we have one, or sell it and invest the money in a college fund.

• Like 2
Jenny S.

I'm a "get the money now" kind of person. 

You might not be alive in 20 years but you are alive now!

I would also probably join Fidelity or another online stock broker and invest it in a stock or two. Apple and Nvidia come to mind but there are others. Those have both done well for me and continue to do so. 

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

As a former stockbroker, commodities broker, registered securities principal, registered investment advisor, and current stock and options trader, I think I know a little about investing.  Right now, you should be able to get around $1,000 for the bass (I looked it up).  A balanced portfolio with an emphasis on longterm growth returning 15% a year, compounded for twenty years, would become $16,366.54.  I don't think that Jazz bass will sell for $16K twenty years from now, unless you become really famous.  With an online brokerage account you can buy stocks with zero commission, so you can acquire one or two shares in a number of different companies.  I would recommend about 75% in growth stocks and exchange traded funds (ETFs), and 25% in high dividend paying ETFs, and reinvesting the dividends into more growth stocks.  This is a strategy that has done very well for myself and some friends.  If you need more info or advice, please don't hesitate to ask me.  After all, I've been making money in the stock market since 1979, and I started running my own brokerage office when I was 28, so I have a bit of experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
I rock; therefore, I am.

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

I'm a "get the money now" kind of person. 

You might not be alive in 20 years but you are alive now!

I would also probably join Fidelity or another online stock broker and invest it in a stock or two. Apple and Nvidia come to mind but there are others. Those have both done well for me and continue to do so. 

The exchange traded fund (ETF) Technology Select Sector SPDR Fund, stock symbol XLK, has Apple and Nvidia, along with Visa, MasterCard, Salesforce, Microsoft, and other tech stocks.  Over the last ten years it has returned an average of 18.23% per year.  And in the interest of full disclosure, I just so happen to own some.

• Like 3
I rock; therefore, I am.

Find out what it is worth now surfergirl. If it is worth a bunch, I suggest you keep it for a future windfall. If it is not worth a bunch then let it go. I once had a very early Telecaster (My first electric guitar way back in the early 1960's) I sold it for $300 and the guy I sold it to stiffed me for fifty bucks of the $300) Anyways it was a 1950's Tele which is sure worth a big bunch more that the $250 I did get for it back then.  Just my $.02. Good luck with it.

• Like 3

@surfergirl I had a Fender American Jazz bass in like new condition with case and sold it to a friend and professional player from Norway a few years ago for $800 cash.  I agree with Sharkman on a $1,000 price tag.  Since you're only down by $200, you'll come out $800 bucks a head.  If there is nothing else you need, then go out for a nice dinner and invest the rest...😎

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

I did some research on it and they are selling for well below their new price, especially when you factor in inflation. We are going to sell it and invest along with $800 we already have. I also sold my Supersonic amp for $900. It wasn't actively selling it, but someone contacted me 2 weeks ago with an offer I turned down. He called me back with another offer and compromise at $900. He's a working musician in Honolulu, so I feel good that it will be well used. I haven't used in awhile. So we will invest all of that, or take a vaction.🏂

• Like 2
Jenny S.

Just a joking type question , where do people in Hawaii go on Vacation? 

Lok

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

4 hours ago, Lokair said:

Just a joking type question , where do people in Hawaii go on Vacation? 

Lok

Snowboarding at Lake Tahoe 

1 hour ago, desertbluesman said:

Banzai Pipeline. No need to go any further. (just a joking answer)😂

10 miles from my house. I prefer Backdoor, which as I'm sure you know, is a right break while Pipe is a left.

34 minutes ago, Larryz said:

How about a cruise ship tour around the islands?  :idk:

That would be cool. The only other island I've been to is Hawaii, for our graduation trip.

• Like 3
Jenny S.

We're putting the word to our network of friends and acquaintance that we have bass for sale. Put it up on the bulletin board at a couple coffee shops, etc. and Craigslist. We've done faily well buying and selling on Craigslist. We are going to invest everything. We can save for a vacation. Although after 3 months with a 13 year old we're not sure about children.😬

• Like 3
Jenny S.

46 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

We're putting the word to our network of friends and acquaintance that we have bass for sale. Put it up on the bulletin board at a couple coffee shops, etc. and Craigslist. We've done faily well buying and selling on Craigslist. We are going to invest everything. We can save for a vacation. Although after 3 months with a 13 year old we're not sure about children.😬

I've done well on Craigslist too. 

13 year olds should all be put on a remote island in the sea until they are 18, then maybe they can return to civilization...

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

4 hours ago, CEB said:

Surfing looks really hard. 

Surfing was easy for me to learn. I even learned how to shape and glass surfboards. However I grew up on an Island on the Jersey shore. I was swimming in the ocean since I was about 4-1/2 years old. And as a kid I used blow up rafts to ride the waves in from the sand bar.

Then the original Ron Jon surf shop opened up in 1961 in Ship Bottom N.J. https://www.ronjonsurfshop.com/store/ship-bottom-new-jersey  That was the very first one of all of that chain of Ron Jon Surf shops. The owner is Ron DiMenna who originally partnered with another guy who disappeared from that shop shortly after.

Ron started that shop in a disconnected trucking trailer (the large trucking trailers)

Anyways, around the middle 1970's or so I divorced my first wife, and the 2 boys came and lived with me. So I took them surfing, first in Ship Bottom N.J. Then we made a trip to Cape Hatteras and that is where I got my first successful ride, (This was a few weeks after we started trying to surf in Ship Bottom on little knee slapper waves) (the waves at Hatteras were overhead and shaped nicely). Then we traveled to Florida a few times and did Hatteras regularly until we got the itch to surf the Pacific, so we went to San Diego County California regularly every winter for about 10 years with a side trip to Kauai Hawaii early on in our Cali winter surfing odyssey's.

In short, once you are a "water man" who understands the flow of the water and where the sand bars and reefs are, and apply yourself to learn, It is relatively easy until the waves get double overhead.

• Like 2

I started learning to surf at the age of 13.  Bought my O'Neal surfboard at the age of 16.  Surfed through the age of 19.  Always on the Pacific Ocean and pretty much always in the Santa Cruz area.  Prior to the age of 13 I rode belly boards on the same waves before I ever stood up on a board.  We also played with skim boards on the beach.  The water was always ice cold, but it was too much fun not to dive in and play.  We also learned to body surf which came in handy when you lost your board and had to make it back to the beach which could sometimes be a long way when you were already getting tired LOL!  We didn't have leashes in those days and on our little hideaway beer can beach we would get kicked out of the water due to sharks spotted by the rangers now and then.  We spent many nights around the campfire drinking beer and playing guitars till daylight...lots of memories back in the 60's when 16-year-old kids could get away with such fun and owned their own cars (which they paid for and paid their own insurance)!  If you have the urge to surf, Get out there and play! Same thing goes for playing guitars! 😎

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz