Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha YC Operating system update Ver. 1.3

Legatoboy

On 4/4/2023 at 10:25 AM, D. Gauss said:

was anybody actually complaining about the pianos? so...they updated/add the piano sound but not the organ? baffling.

Not really, they've always been piano centric.  Agree that the organ in the YC that people have been raving about is not really that great, they did improve the leslie but the organ tone is harsh and hollow.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

22 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

So, it’s entirely possible (likely even)  that a conscious component/cost decision was made on the gigging CP and YC boards.  If something had to be nixed it was Virtual Resonance Model.  That wasn’t really an option on the P515 since competing instruments feature it. 

When practicing at home, I can use the CP88s internal pianos but I’m just as likely to opt for software pianos that include string resonance modeling.  I also have a stereo pair of monitors or headphones to experience the sonic joy.  

When gigging I’m just one of a bunch of instruments in mono scratching out a little frequency real estate at the mixing engineer’s discretion. I’m guessing, price/performance, this is where Yamaha’s thinking falls. 

Hi Elmer --

Spot on. "Definite", I would say. Looking at their design decisions over product generations, Yamaha's engineers are very deliberate because the hardware and manufacturing are recurring costs. Software engineering is almost all non-recurring, but Yamaha has to cover that non-recurring cost, too. I don't think the coders get away with murder, either. None of the synth/stage platforms sell in huge numbers and they must watch cost carefully to maintain any kind of profit margin.

Another sensitive area is choice of display -- lots of design implications there. Someday I'll dive that topic.

Totally agree about frequency real estate. We have our drummer about 50% of the time. (Seems like everybody in our group has health issues...) I add a lot of woodwinds over the (acoustic) piano. Add the drummer and kiss subtlety and nuance goodbye! 😀 Add the occasional live trumpet and...  On traditional hymns, I go to pipe organ -- I win!!! 😄

All the best -- pj

12 minutes ago, dickiefunk said:

I haven’t updated my YC but the new Gentle Hamburg live set sounds nice from the demo Moessieurs posted. I’m hoping this will get posted on Soundmondo for the CP. 

Since the Hamburg sample set is in the CP, I guess the ability to replicate that Live Set variation would depend on whether or not it uses any editing parameters (i.e. effects, EQ) that may exist on the YC but not the CP.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

After updating to V1.3, I noticed the Voice List numbers were now incorrect for some of the voices. Where new ones were added, the previous voice numbers shifted by 1 or 2. Being the completest nerd-type that I am, I recreated the V1.3 voice list in Excel and exported it to a PDF. It is attached in case anyone is interested. Oh, and I took a few liberties with a couple of the names, such as calling the Hamburg Grand what it really is.

John

YC61 Voice List.pdf

• Like 3

On 4/7/2023 at 9:57 PM, AnotherScott said:

Since the Hamburg sample set is in the CP, I guess the ability to replicate that Live Set variation would depend on whether or not it uses any editing parameters (i.e. effects, EQ) that may exist on the YC but not the CP.

Yes, I’m hoping it will be possible as this offers a thicker and more intimate tone contrast to the default Hamburg preset. 

1 hour ago, dickiefunk said:

Yes, I’m hoping it will be possible as this offers a thicker and more intimate tone contrast to the default Hamburg preset. 

I have the YC61 and a CP73 and have the John Melas tools for both. I should be able to open the editor screen on the Gentle Hamburg preset on the YC and see how it's built. I'll have a better idea after that to what extent it can be ported to the CP. I'll let you know after I've had a chance to look into it.

John

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JFN said:

I have the YC61 and a CP73 and have the John Melas tools for both. I should be able to open the editor screen on the Gentle Hamburg preset on the YC and see how it's built. I'll have a better idea after that to what extent it can be ported to the CP. I'll let you know after I've had a chance to look into it.

John

I don't have the CP and YC next to each other at the moment so creating the CP patch will have to wait a few days. That said, I did open the Gentle Hamburg patch in the Melas editor and a JPEG screen shot of it is attached. From what I can tell, the key parameters are as follows:

Effect 1: Damper resonance depth/rate: 28/23

Effect 2: Compressor depth/rate: 38/55

Filter cutoff: 48

Tone: 16

The rest of the parameters should be visible in the screen shot. Like I said, I'll try to re-create the patch in my CP73 later this week and A/B them but the YC makes use of the filter cut-off which the CP does not support. 

John

Gentle Hamburg.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JFN said:

John

13 hours ago, JFN said:

I don't have the CP and YC next to each other at the moment so creating the CP patch will have to wait a few days. That said, I did open the Gentle Hamburg patch in the Melas editor and a JPEG screen shot of it is attached. From what I can tell, the key parameters are as follows:

The rest of the parameters should be visible in the screen shot. Like I said, I'll try to re-create the patch in my CP73 later this week and A/B them but the YC makes use of the filter cut-off which the CP does not support. 

John

Gentle Hamburg.jpg

Thankyou for this John 😊👍🏻

I would be interested in your opinions on the new Hamburg Grand after the update for the YC's. Will anyone be changing their current main piano sound?

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

On 4/4/2023 at 11:58 AM, AnotherScott said:

That's good for the Yamaha, but I can also imagine that unusual "resistance curve" possibly interfering with how you'd expect a high trigger point to feel/react. Maybe they tried it, and it just didn't behave the way you'd want.

It would be nice if Trigger High or Low was user selectable so that we can decide for ourselves which we prefer.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 3:07 PM, JFN said:

John

I finally created the Gentle Hamburg Live Set on my CP73 and got it to sound very close, if not the same as the YC version. I attached a single Live Set file here in case anyone wants to load it in their CP. 

Gentle Hamburg.X9S

On 4/13/2023 at 5:18 PM, 1203 said:

I would be interested in your opinions on the new Hamburg Grand after the update for the YC's. Will anyone be changing their current main piano sound?

I like it better than the other YC pianos for practicing and playing solo (and maybe playing jazz with a group). Might just be the novelty though. On the other hand those are all situations where I'll usually plug in a software piano anyway. 

Can't beat the CFX for cutting through a loud band, though.

Just my .02

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Dave Keys said:

Here's a question: I've got both the CP88 and the YC73 - don't suppose you can load patches between them can you? 

So do I (CP73 and YC61 in my case). I'm pretty sure you cannot. I have the John Melas Librarian and Editor software for both keyboards on my laptop which allows me to upon and editor window for a particular patch and see all the parameters. I then try to recreate it as best as possible on the other keyboard. Of course, its not always possible to do so due the better effects capabilities of the YC, or the ability to use advanced mode on the PC for example. I have some big poly synth patches on my CP that stack three different synth voices to get some rich textures. Can't quite do that on the YC, but can get close with 2 voices and an FM organ. Hope this helps.

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2023 at 8:17 AM, PianoMan51 said:

This is easy. Follow the readme instructions. You backup all your current live sets onto a usb dongle. Then you load the full update file into your YC. Then you reload your live sets back to the YC. Your keys now have all the new stuff but with your hard-won patches.

I recommend spending a few minutes to run through the new factory live sets before you overwrite them. You might find something of interest.

I have my "Homade" live set sounds in locations 14-1>14-8. The new update 1.3 list shows new live sets in these locations. If I reload my patches "Hameade" live sets, will they overwrite the new update live sets? I am guessing yes....What do you say PianoMan51

I would like it if the YC would read the position of the expression pedal when a patch is changed.  The way it is now I have to adjust the pedal every time I change a patch because the volume automatically goes to full. If there is a setting for this I'd sure like to know about it. I have purchased the editor/librarian and editor software from John Melas and it is great.

15 minutes ago, kenheeter said:

I would like it if the YC would read the position of the expression pedal when a patch is changed.  The way it is now I have to adjust the pedal every time I change a patch because the volume automatically goes to full. If there is a setting for this 

I haven't done it, but try Menu -> General -> MIDI settings -> Controller Reset. Change from "reset" to "hold." The pedal should then hold and use its current position when switching to a new Live Set, instead of resetting that value to maximum.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

45 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I haven't done it, but try Menu -> General -> MIDI settings -> Controller Reset. Change from "reset" to "hold." The pedal should then hold and use its current position when switching to a new Live Set, instead of resetting that value to maximum.

Correct, that works. I've made that change on my YC as I almost all of my piano and EP patches have a pad or strings or something underneath and it was a real pain to have to adjust the foot controller every time I change sounds.

• 1 month later...