Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I need a new bench

I've been using the Ultimate Support JamStands JS-XB100-B folding bench for a few years now, after having to quit using my On-Stage DT8500 stool on my chiropractor's orders. spacer.png It has served me well, but the vinyl is coming off, and it now creaks a bit, either from its increased age or my increased weight. 😒

I would be happy to get another one, but the short length of the locking pegs has always made me nervous.

image.png.3f39e9ff48a7b7200c9ea4cf233b3a66.pngimage.png.90b21560124e057a4c12930108a0ab84.png

Does anyone have a better recommendation? The leading contenders are:

On-Stage - Deluxe X-Style Keyboard Bench - KT7800+

Gator Frameworks GFW-KEY-BNCH-1

QuikLok BX-14

QuikLok BX-718

It looks like the difference between the QuikLok benches is that the BX-718 adjusts like the Ultimate Support, while the BX-14 adjusts where the legs cross, but I can't tell for sure.

If anyone else has a contender not listed, let me know. I'm leery of the K&M, only because they all seem to be "noncancelable and nonreturnable", at least at B&H Photo/Video.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

32 minutes ago, konaboy said:

do drum thrones make decent keyboard stools? i've often wondered about using a keyboard bench for drums and vice-versa?

there's a lot more choice of sturdy high-quality drum stool than keyboard benches.

I’ve been using a Roc n Soc throne as a keyboard bench for almost ten years and it works great for me, but I’m not sure if it would meet the standards of OP’s chiropractor or not. Definitely more comfortable than my Hammond bench though.

• Like 2

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

9 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

If anyone else has a contender not listed, let me know. I'm leery of the K&M, only because they all seem to be "noncancelable and nonreturnable", at least at B&H Photo/Video.

Would you be gigging with it, or are you looking for home studio use only? Some of them require more fiddling than others to fold down but that probably isn't a factor if it's staying put.

I went on this journey last year… I tried (and still own) the K&M mentioned above, and a Roc n Soc- both with optional back rests.

The K&M was just too tall for me- I couldn’t sit with my feet flat on the floor (I’m 5’10”). It’s fine as a perch- there’s even a crossbar for your feet to rest on- and it was very stable, but basically unusable for a sitting piano gig.

The Roc n Soc is perfect. Comfortable, adjustable, and the back rest is easy to attach and quite useful.

Yes, it’s a little more cumbersome than a bench with legs that fold up flat underneath, but well worth it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, EB5AGV said:

I know you said K&M is not your choice... But this one is working fine for me. It has extensive adjustments options, so it is nicely suitable for lots of different setups

K&M 14045

Here you have it in action:

IMG_20230325_182342.thumb.jpg.5a262648b35f4c35301ffede9406b3ad.jpg

Stability and comfort are outstanding.

Jose

Thanks, but I want to stay with benches. If I was spending part of the time standing I would consider this, but for my immediate needs I have to have something where I can move laterally. Because for these gigs I'm using one keyboard with lots of 2 and 3-way splits and have to frequently adjust seating positions.

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

4 hours ago, Red Ranger said:

Would you be gigging with it, or are you looking for home studio use only? Some of them require more fiddling than others to fold down but that probably isn't a factor if it's staying put.

Strictly for gigs, and it must fold down flat quickly and be easily transportable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BluMunk said:

The Roc n Soc is perfect. Comfortable, adjustable, and the back rest is easy to attach and quite useful.

+1.  Got a graveyard of foldable piano benches, and also went back to using drummer's thrones last year-something  hadn't done since high school    Use the Roc n Soc conductor throne with hydraulics on church gigs. Awesome on hammond or piano- so much more comfortable for long rehearsals.

Use  Gibraltar Josh Dunn version of the 9608 memory foam for other gigs where I'm humping my stuff.   Still have a quick-lock piano bench  only bring for private home gigs, as it doesn't scare clients. 

I'm one who plays for blunt force trauma, in that I like to sit a bit higher above the keyboard than a classically trained person would- most gig benches feel like they're going to topple over when set at the top settings. 

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

3 hours ago, Al Quinn said:

I use this keyboard bench and like it a lot. Comfortable, reasonably priced, and fits nicely on the cart

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicians-Gear/KS-515-MG-Deluxe-Keyboard-Bench-1274228076903.gc

image.thumb.jpeg.1edc3dd319528f2a86936ddf24ea6a45.jpeg

I was looking at that one, Al, and I liked that you don't need to trust locking pins, but some of the reviews claimed that the metal bent. I'm around 210lbs so I was hesitant to include this in my roundup. You don't think that's an issue I should worry about?

EDIT TO ADD: I saw that on Musician's Friend and forgot that they are part of Guitar Center. I think I'll head to my store this weekend and see if they have one set up that I can check out.  👍🏻

2 hours ago, BluMunk said:

I went on this journey last year… I tried (and still own) the K&M mentioned above, and a Roc n Soc- both with optional back rests.

The K&M was just too tall for me- I couldn’t sit with my feet flat on the floor (I’m 5’10”). It’s fine as a perch- there’s even a crossbar for your feet to rest on- and it was very stable, but basically unusable for a sitting piano gig.

Yes, it’s a little more cumbersome than a bench with legs that fold up flat underneath, but well worth it.

I am also 5'10" and had the same issue with the On-Stage I mentioned in the OP, forcing me to sit on an angle, messing with my hips and lower back. I'll search for Roc n Soc - I'm not familiar with that brand.

1 minute ago, Synthaholic said:

I am also 5x10" and had the same issue with the On-Stage I mentioned in the OP, forcing me to sit on an angle, messing with my hips and lower back

Same height and issues as you - I posted a while ago about needing hip replacement.  Doc was convinced years of standing with one foot on a volume pedal for gigs, plus contorted positions on piano benches when seated contributed.    Other than long rehearsals without a backrest (and age LOL), my arms and back don't ache as much.

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

7 hours ago, konaboy said:

do drum thrones make decent keyboard stools? i've often wondered about using a keyboard bench for drums and vice-versa?

there's a lot more choice of sturdy high-quality drum stool than keyboard benches.

If you're tall enough, that DT8500 is really great - I wore out my first one and bought a second - but it seems designed more for a guitarist than a keyboardist.

4 minutes ago, obxa said:

Same height and issues as you - I posted a while ago about needing hip replacement.  Doc was convinced years of standing with one foot on a volume pedal for gigs, plus contorted positions on piano benches when seated contributed.    Other than long rehearsals without a backrest (and age LOL), my arms and back don't ache as much.

We might have the same doctor. 🤣 Exact same thing. I played 5 or 6 nights a week standing basically on my left leg for nearly 30 years. Fortunately my chiropractor is top notch - he's in demand testifying as a expert in a lot of trials and insurance disputes. If you haven't had the hip replacement yet, look into laser treatment. My guy has a $75,000 laser that, when opened to a wide circle, is used on parts of the body to speed healing. I've gotten some good results on my lower back and right shoulder, which also gives me trouble, from playing keyboards, using computer mouses for too long, and from throwing baseballs harder than I probably should have.

• Like 1

I've had good luck with a ProLine PL1250. It's comfortable and sturdy, easy to fold down, but it does use the same type of locking pins as your current bench (though I think the pins might be longer in the proline). Once the pins are engaged, they tighten down with wingnuts, so I've never had a problem with them disengaging, fwiw.

Proline PL1250

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Synthaholic said:

I'm around 210lbs so I was hesitant to include this in my roundup. You don't think that's an issue I should worry about?

I’m 6’ and 230 lbs. I can only say that I haven’t had any issues. I own two of them. One for when I’m in New York and the other for when I’m in Florida.

• Like 1

I took an X bench and modified it with a backrest. I used it for 2 years and my back thanked me for it.

I previously had a Roc n Sock with backrest and bicycle seat. It was very comfortable, but pinned me in place and prevented scooting side to side.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Moe

---

2 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

We might have the same doctor. 🤣 Exact same thing. I played 5 or 6 nights a week standing basically on my left leg for nearly 30 years. Fortunately my chiropractor is top notch - he's in demand testifying as a expert in a lot of trials and insurance disputes. If you haven't had the hip replacement yet, look into laser treatment. My guy has a $75,000 laser that, when opened to a wide circle, is used on parts of the body to speed healing. I've gotten some good results on my lower back and right shoulder, which also gives me trouble, from playing keyboards, using computer mouses for too long, and from throwing baseballs harder than I probably should have.

I think it's prevalent with what we do between computer and sitting and standing in weird positions?

Did chiropractic for a long while, my guy was the Falcons chiro  &  ex-football player himself.  Always liked him because he wasn't one of those who thought everything was simply due to alignment.   Kept me upright as long as he could, and it was actually him who finally said "we've gone as far we can."  Besides his X-rays, I got more 3 opinions confirming bone was dead, and mobility was only going to get worse.  Two year anniversary this month: no cane, no limp, no pain, and no regrets.  Wish I had done it sooner. 

Don't want to steer off your topic- but think it's important for musicians to pay attention while we can:  take breaks, protect your hearing, drink water and get some sun. Get regularly tested for everything.   I've said before, we often tend to get treated like service animals.   I know it's not as cool to sit while playing, but if you hurt after a gig, it's time to listen to your body. 

• Like 3

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

My favorite one for my entire life is the one I have for sale at the moment (are you local?). Hard to find in the USA as it's a Canadian brand, Yorkville. Much stronger cushion than most, and easy setup and tear-down.

So why am I getting rid of it? Because my several-years-long back-order for a proper piano bench finally arrived a few months ago, and as I don't sit when gigging on keys I have no need for this one anymore.

The model number is PB-1, although that might vary by country. Not sure if it's the "same thing" as some other brand's keyboard bench, but I doubt it, as this one has way better construction and support than any other one that I've used. Nevertheless, it doesn't have a lot of height adjustment, if that matters to you.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I switched last year from an On-Stage KT7800+ bench I'd used since 2013 to a Roc N Soc Spindle Throne (the manual one, not the Nitro one). I should have made the change many years ago because it's much better for posture as well as being much more comfortable.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I’m over benches.   I still have a couple I use but my favorite is the heavy duty stool I got from Amazon.  The hydraulic height adjustment has a broad range.  I bought heavy duty after market casters. The wheels give great mobility. 

5AB068A5-B21D-4515-BEF0-D033AC135E1C.jpeg

78D0682B-2283-42B3-BBC4-65DFD5B4F64A.jpeg

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I gigged for years with an ultra-plush bench. Nice and wide. Soft. 

Heavy as a MF. About 17lbs.

Nope.

About twelve years ago I bought a cheap, tiny, under-padded, kinda low, X bench with the Casio logo.

Under 5lbs. 

Success!

But not immediately. It was a tad low, so I drilled an extra set of holes to raise the seat. But of course this brought the two feet of the seat much closer together. Nobody was watching but i fell off it the first time i did a gig with it, and sat on an edge. But only that one time, cause I learned the hard way to sit dead in the center. 

For an old musician I can bungee together my K&M stand with my Casio seat into a 10lb package. 

On 4/1/2023 at 9:08 AM, Al Quinn said:

I use this keyboard bench and like it a lot. Comfortable, reasonably priced, and fits nicely on the cart

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicians-Gear/KS-515-MG-Deluxe-Keyboard-Bench-1274228076903.gc

I think I'm going to try this one, since you've had none of the issues listed in the reviews. But there's currently a waiting list.

• Like 1

All the gig benches I have are X benches like that. I remember…

I was playing a show.  I was downstage left seated facing center.  My butt scooted too far left and I flipped the bench. I landed on a large wedge monitor and rolled off a 4 foot stage onto the concrete floor behind the security barricade.  I got up and ran back on stage and continued playing.  The horn section behind me was amazed that I didn’t seem fazed.  It didn’t hurt till about 3 or 4 songs later.  Embarrassment driven adrenaline masked the hurt.  

I played Judo for a long time. Learning to fall real good has saved me several times in my life.   Don’t let this scare anyone away from X frame benches… I’m just an idiot. 

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Apologies Huey and anyone else that reads this, but the song title made a certain song I haven't heard in decades come to mind...

I want a new bench, one that won't hurt my back
One that won't make me fall on stage
Or make me hide under my stack
I want a new bench one that lets me roll around
One that fits just right on my cart
And don't make me look like a clown

I'll be here all week, try the veal....

I normally stand but if the stage is tight I sit.  My old barber chair worked pretty well but finally fell apart...my wife got me a mechanics stool.  It rolls but doesn't telescope up as high as the barber chair--I'm 6'3" and that chair only dropped me down around 2-3 inches.   It swiveled and had a footrest, didn't roll though.   Both of these were pneumatic.

I've considered drafting chairs as well.   Drum thrones, all the ones I've seen, are too short.   I play mostly in the back and sing some lead, it would be best that I'm not just a ghostly voice hidden behind other players and my rig.   Our old drummer had thoughts about building me a riser, though I wasn't too keen on having to transport and set it up (he made a really nice custom drum riser for himself, I'm sure it would have been nice.)

The one CEB posted looked pretty nice in most respects, I'd have to see how tall it gets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/31/2023 at 10:27 PM, Synthaholic said:

I've been using the Ultimate Support JamStands JS-XB100-B folding bench for a few years now, after having to quit using my On-Stage DT8500 stool on my chiropractor's orders. spacer.png It has served me well, but the vinyl is coming off, and it now creaks a bit, either from its increased age or my increased weight. 😒

I would be happy to get another one, but the short length of the locking pegs has always made me nervous.

image.png.3f39e9ff48a7b7200c9ea4cf233b3a66.pngimage.png.90b21560124e057a4c12930108a0ab84.png

Does anyone have a better recommendation? The leading contenders are:

On-Stage - Deluxe X-Style Keyboard Bench - KT7800+

Gator Frameworks GFW-KEY-BNCH-1

QuikLok BX-14

QuikLok BX-718

It looks like the difference between the QuikLok benches is that the BX-718 adjusts like the Ultimate Support, while the BX-14 adjusts where the legs cross, but I can't tell for sure.

I can't use those benches as they have no back support.  Here's what I've been using lately, very very comfortable with back support

https://reverb.com/item/66963294-roc-n-soc-nitro-throne-with-backrest

without question the most comfortable seat I've sat in for playing.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

On 4/3/2023 at 9:09 AM, PianoMan51 said:

I gigged for years with an ultra-plush bench. Nice and wide. Soft. 

Heavy as a MF. About 17lbs.

Nope.

About twelve years ago I bought a cheap, tiny, under-padded, kinda low, X bench with the Casio logo.

Under 5lbs. 

Success!

But not immediately. It was a tad low, so I drilled an extra set of holes to raise the seat. But of course this brought the two feet of the seat much closer together. Nobody was watching but i fell off it the first time i did a gig with it, and sat on an edge. But only that one time, cause I learned the hard way to sit dead in the center. 

For an old musician I can bungee together my K&M stand with my Casio seat into a 10lb package. 

17 lbs is heavy? 🙂 I don't think any of my keyboards, or basses inside cases, weigh that little!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

On 4/1/2023 at 9:08 AM, Al Quinn said:

I used to own that bench. I tossed it when I came across the Yorkville that I mentioned, which is way thicker and yet it flexes for a comfortable seating vs. being stiff.

On 4/5/2023 at 5:36 PM, CEB said:

All the gig benches I have are X benches like that. I remember…

I was playing a show.  I was downstage left seated facing center.  My butt scooted too far left and I flipped the bench. I landed on a large wedge monitor and rolled off a 4 foot stage onto the concrete floor behind the security barricade.  I got up and ran back on stage and continued playing.  The horn section behind me was amazed that I didn’t seem fazed.  It didn’t hurt till about 3 or 4 songs later.  Embarrassment driven adrenaline masked the hurt.  

I played Judo for a long time. Learning to fall real good has saved me several times in my life.   Don’t let this scare anyone away from X frame benches… I’m just an idiot. 

Hey, I used this Wobble Stool for a while, believing that it would force me to use proper posture...or else. And it did! I never fell off of it, but talk about an adventure.

image.png.a5bd8c3f58f72c2583bb6fb9626ce6dd.png

• Wow! 1