Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Foldable keyboards for travel-any proven winners?

obxa

Back on a heavy daily shedding schedule and don't want to get off my practice routine.

Extended travel until end of summer via Land, Sea, and Air    Anything compact w/full size keys besides my go-to Korg Nano would be nice.

Don't need (or want...) 88 keys, nor a piano experience.    Semi-weighted action,  but not one of those  low profile flat keyboard things that have no key travel would be great.    I know these things usually sound like early 90's soundcards, so aural expectations are low.  :)

Won't be gigging it -  just stuffing in overheads, dragging into hotel rooms/ship cabins, buses etc.

Saw this:  Donner thing, which possibly looks ideal.

Anyone used it, or have other recommendations?   Also considered this non- folding  Casio,  which sounds great; but a bit larger than I'd like for plane and international travel. 

The Nano is actually very playable for learning material or conceptual things,  but mini keyboard confuses my fingering and muscle memory. 

Thanks so much for any suggestions in advance!!!

Cheers.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Casio CT-S500 is going on land tours with me and I'm quite happy with the keybed, for slow practicing esp. When flying, I'll take my old iRig Keys Pro, and don't recommend that flimsy 37-key synth keybed at all. 

• Thanks 1

I'll second a 61key Casiotone, I have an older CT-S300, but same general footprint as the newer S500. I've technically never flown with it, but it fits inside my keytar bag, and I've flown with that many times, carryon.

I now have a new strategy. My Nord Stage3C is light. It fits in a Gator 61key flight case and comes in at 46lbs even with the gig bag. I even took it up to the ticket counter the other day at AlaskaAirlines and asked them whether they would charge me. About 3 of them said "no way, that's not oversized, no one here is going to charge you for that". I've gotten similar reports from other members here. Basically, as long as you come in under 50lbs, Alaska and many other airlines won't ding you for a 61-73key axe. I know that's a good $4000 more than what you're talking about, but maybe you already have a rig that fits that description, so I thought I'd put that out there.

• Thanks 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I take a Casio CT-300 just about everywhere, as with the recommendations above.  If you're good with the form factor, it makes piano-like sounds and has full size black and white keys.  Simple controls, pitch wheel and midi out for quick recordings to an iPad.  Not gonna worry if it breaks or gets lost.

• Like 2

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

On 4/2/2023 at 8:04 AM, Al Quinn said:

I’d check this one out if I had the need

This seems like the perfect option for what I need for my upcoming travel, but unfortunately the price is too step for this public school teacher : ( 

A few years ago I brought an entry level Yamaha arranger type keyboard on a flight and American Airlines charged $200 each way. That’s more than the value of the keyboard! 

Has anyone had any luck doing air travel with one of those Casio CT as a carry on? 

Others have mentioned this in the past, but here it is again: you're supposedly allowed to bring a musical instrument with you as carry-on baggage, if it fits in an overhead bin (or under a seat, that probably doesn't apply here though!). The caveat is that it's on a "space available" basis which means you better hope you board early. This is the official word:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2015/01/05/2014-30836/carriage-of-musical-instruments

This probably means regional jets are out of the question. It'll have to be checked. I've also heard stories that "rules" be damned, if the gate agent or flight attendand doesn't like the color of your shirt they can deny you space.

You can of course use a flight case so the keyboard can go as checked baggage, and it's likely you won't get charged extra, as a 61-key unweighted in an SKB or similar plastic case probably won't be over 50lbs. That's a lot less convenient than a soft case to carry around for "extended travel until end of summer" though.

As long as your flights are on bigger jets and you can board relatively early, a non-folding 61 in a soft case should work. Emphasis on "should"!

• Like 1