Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ChatGPT4.0 and music

Lot of future ramifications coming with this thing I reckon.  Between this, 3d printing and automation in general, we might be all well advised to find value in leisure time.   I'm not sure there's too many jobs that aren't replaceable.   I'm a computer analyst and certainly parts of what I do are likely to be done better by "AI" (not a huge fan of that term since to me it implies sentience, but it's convenient!)

People happily watch performers play to tracks even in pubs, not a stretch to think they'll be happy to watch robots gyrate to music written by computers.  One popular cover band where I am has tracks for every instrument, certainly frees them up to jump around and entertain.  They have a massive following.

I'm already using ChatGPT3.0 as a writing assistant for short articles and blog posts.  It can summarize relevant material, organize it, and then critique my writing against any author's standard of my choosing.   Sort of like an editorial assistant, It makes the human more productive, it does not replace the human.

We are already at the point where you can ask a large learning model AI to write music and lyrics about [subject X] using the style of [artist X].  Iterate a few times, and the results are curiously impressive -- more of a quick starting point vs. finished product.  Asking one to recreate Bach can be dizzying to listen to.  I wonder if one has been asked to recreate ELP?

Large learning models like ChatGPT will replace the Siris and Alexas of the world before long.  They are already being used in medicine, finance, intelligence, logistics and so on.  They are only as good as what you feed them, for example a musical LLM fed rap music will only be able to produce rap music.

Much has been said about being able to "trust" the output and avoid "misinformation" -- in reality, their output is no different than real people in that regard.

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

My friend is doing the same, he's a teacher overseas for English as a second language and it's saving him a ton of time he said in proofreading.

If my coworkers' grammar and spelling suddenly markedly improve, and/or I start seeing emails and slack messages longer than a sentence or two, I'll know that ChatGTP has arrived at work :)

16 hours ago, Stokely said:

People happily watch performers play to tracks even in pubs, not a stretch to think they'll be happy to watch robots gyrate to music written by computers. 

Watch this one to the end, and you'll realize we're not that far away from a Vegas-style robot act: 

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Had a look at the website - no info there on purchase/obtaining - how does one go ab out buying it? and what are the costs?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

36 minutes ago, miden said:

Had a look at the website - no info there on purchase/obtaining - how does one go ab out buying it? and what are the costs?

They're not generally available.  Details are scarce, but it looks like DARPA-style funding is involved.

3 hours ago, cphollis said:

They're not generally available.  Details are scarce, but it looks like DARPA-style funding is involved.

Ok thanks.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

23 hours ago, Stokely said:

People happily watch performers play to tracks even in pubs, not a stretch to think they'll be happy to watch robots gyrate to music written by computers.  One popular cover band where I am has tracks for every instrument, certainly frees them up to jump around and entertain.  They have a massive following.

That is different. Albeit more advanced, this is more like the performing mechanical characters at the family pizza party parlor (Chuck E Cheese). That is entertaining for about 3 minutes unless you are under 8 years old. And I don't happily accept live performances playing with a prerecorded track. Playing to a loop you create on the fly sometimes. But I think it is lame using prerecorded tracks live in most cases. I think you are better off just playing what you can play live. Just say you are still writing it if you need to excuse how you want to present the song eventually, if it is your own material. Otherwise just own up to doing a minimalist presentation.

I couldn't agree more, I'd much prefer to see people pulling off what they can do, especially vocals.  I know I'm in a tiny minority, so be it.  It's a big reason why I go to very few concerts.  Our singer and guitarist are in a duo and they've lost gigs when the manager finds out they won't run tracks.  Just a couple venues that have done this, but I expect that number will be growing as audiences get more and more used to "album sound" at "live" shows.   Milli Vanilli would be just fine these days!

I haven't used ChatGPT-4 yet, or done any music generation with AI.  I have, however, spent altogether TOO MANY HOURS playing with ChatGPT-3 over the past several months.  What it can produce - convincingly - is completely off the charts.  I've had it write short stories, shooting scripts for television commercials, storylines for motion pictures, poems, performance reviews, marketing plans... it's insane.  The toothpaste is out of the tube and this is about to change 'things' in a big way.   And it is just getting started.

It's very easy to use - you can easily sign up with a Google account:

https://chat.openai.com/chat

Here's a list of 'prompts' - things that can be copied and pasted into ChatGPT, although it is super easy to create your own.

https://github.com/f/awesome-chatgpt-prompts

I spent my entire career in sales/marketing/bizdev working with documents of all kinds, sales materials, RFP responses, presentations, contracts, software license agreements, etc., and having this technology will increase productivity 100x.  And just wait a year or two or five.

This stuff is going to provoke change at the level generated by the internet itself.  Just wait.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

What version am I seeing when I log in? I asked "Is this Chat GPT 3 or 4?" and this was the answer:

"I am not specifically designated as GPT-3 or GPT-4. As an AI language model, I am constantly learning and updating my knowledge based on the data I am trained on, and the algorithms that govern my operation. My abilities and performance may be improved over time, but my current version is not given a specific number."

At the bottom of the page is this text: "ChatGPT Mar 14 Version"

[edit - just clicked that link and saw this: "We’re excited to bring GPT-4, our latest model, to our ChatGPT Plus subscribers" - I'm not paying, so I must be at v3]

I wonder if you can crash an AI program by requesting "write a Keyboard Corner post in the style of Theo Verelst."

Love you, Theo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

About 40 years ago, I remember when folks thought synthesizers and sequencers would take over music production and put musicians out of work.

There was a point in the 1990s through early 2000s where artists were touring with nothing but backing tracks (DAT machines).

Over that same span of time up to present, electronic music became hugely popular and highly successful. 

However, there has been no shortage of performing artists, musicians and bands to come and go over the past 40 years and counting. 

The jam band scene started by the Grateful Dead has enabled a host of folks (artists, musicians, sound engineers, stage hands, truck drivers, concessions, etc.).to put food on the proverbial table.

My point...

AI will be able to produce electronic music according to the algorithms it has been fed.  No different from music "producers" using grooveboxes with templates (algorithms) and DAWs. 

But, neither AI nor electronic music producers will ever replace live music as generated and experienced by human beings i.e. songwriters, composers, played and performed by artists and musicians.  

Of all places, I'm sure Nashville won't have any parts of AI beyond its control.  H8ll, I don't think they allow musicians to use Akai products in the city.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The company I just joined last month is all in on AI. Even in those 30 days, we've seen super usable APIs appear out of thin air. ChatGPT can spit out webpage code and much more sophisticated back end code as well, and I've used it to suggest guitar pedal settings (although as they warn, the legit suggestions and obviously context-limited suggestions look the same) and I've used it to help me with my modular rig.

A friend of mine and former coworker is testing a text-based adventure game he created that uses ChatGPT as the engine. It's a little slow because of the API, but it's non-repeating.

http://infiniteadversaries.com

As far as music goes, have you seen the short video that Marcus Brownlee released with samples from the Google music AI that's being tested? It's amazing.

You can debate the morality and ethics of it all day long, but I don't think it will really affect any traditional western musicians in any way that isn't similar impact to something like drum machines or digital audio. Where you are going to want to be on the crest of this wave is if you are in the music technology space.

By the way, I have figured out an absolutely ethical and non-cheating way for high school kids to use ChatGPT for their papers. It still requires work and critical thinking, but it changed writing papers for both of my kids dramatically. Message me if you want an overview (and no, I'm not selling anything).

• Like 1

"For instance" is not proof.

There is definitely less truly live music and fewer players necessary to achieve a big sound.  These types of technologies both kill and create opportunities and  avenues of revenue for musical people. As in other industries we’ll have to adapt and continue learning if we desire to be a part of that change.  

Thankfully, musical tastes and musical styles are wide and varied and there will continue to be an audience with a preference for how and what music was made earlier within one’s lifetime and before.  Music, like fashion can also be cyclical, where a desire to hear the “classics” comes around again.  What once was out is again in.  What makes your act unique?  Is it because it’s cutting edge tech, or because it’s live and acoustic or somewhere in between? 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

IMO live music with bands will always be around, but for those trying to make a living in the world of commercial music - libraries, stingers, background music, music for commercials, film scoring, etc., the prospects of making a decent living may be dwindling. 

The number of folks required to produce commercial music shrunk back in the 1980s. 

Synths, sequencers, samplers and workstations allowed composers to mock up and/or produce scores of  music without a studio full of musicians.  

Similar music producers will be able to sip coffee and feed algorithms while AI sifts through a repository full of loops and other bits of sound and assembles it into a piece for the client. 

In that regard, AI will be the studio assistant.  Some human beings will always find a way to do less work.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

28 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Similar music producers will be able to sip coffee and feed algorithms while AI sifts through a repository full of loops and other bits of sound and assembles it into a piece for the client. 

Exactly, but those producers occasionally needed writers, when original music was called for. Maybe not anymore.

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

Of all places, I'm sure Nashville won't have any parts of AI beyond its control.  H8ll, I don't think they allow musicians to use Akai products in the city.🤣😎

Don't bet the Farm. 🙃

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

My neighbor has a subscription for ChatGPT 4 because of his work for a government research facility. They're using it to try to cure Parkinson's at the moment. I'll get a guided tour next week. 

His daughter also has a subscription through her job which relies on bots to help generate content for tech press releases. She prompts, the bot writes, she edits, adds, embellishes. Right now her project is to compare ChatGPT 4 to Bard and Bing (chatgpt 4 engine). I can't wait to see what she comes up. 

Any requests? 

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

• 1 month later...

I asked ChatGPT to write me a song about a B3 and Leslie. Here's what I got:

Me

write a song for the Hammond B3 organ with 122 Leslie speaker

ChatGPT

(Verse 1) In a smoky jazz club, the lights dim low, A magic begins to flow, it starts to show, A soulful sound emerges from the keys, The Hammond B3 organ brings melodies.

(Chorus) Oh, Hammond B3, you're a symphony, With your 122 Leslie, you set us free, Your rich tones swirl and dance in the air, Captivating hearts, everywhere.

(Verse 2) The keys are pressed, the pedals are kicked, A rhythm takes hold, the room gets licked, With every note, a story unfolds, The B3's essence, a tale of old.

(Chorus) Oh, Hammond B3, you're a symphony, With your 122 Leslie, you set us free, Your rich tones swirl and dance in the air, Captivating hearts, everywhere.

(Bridge) From gospel to blues, to jazz and soul, The Hammond B3's got complete control, Its warm vibrations, a sonic embrace, Filling the room with its timeless grace.

(Solo)

(Verse 3) The 122 Leslie spins in its groove, Creating a whirlwind, making us move, Its rotating speakers, a sonic ride, Taking us on a journey, deep inside.

(Outro) So, let the Hammond B3 play its song, With the 122 Leslie, we can't go wrong, Forever cherished, its music will stay, The Hammond B3, lighting up our way.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain