Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

3 dog night

lsj

On 3/28/2023 at 8:29 AM, zxcvbnm098 said:

Great picture! A Leslie for both guitar and B-3.....and sadly only 3 of the 7 left.

I asked Michael about his use of a Leslie for his distinctive guitar sound. He said that he loved the sound and was certainly brave enough to use it live (the 900 series). Surprisingly, the guitar and organ were still quite distinctive. Kudos to these great musicians. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

On 3/27/2023 at 12:48 PM, harmonizer said:

"Easy to be Hard" is probably my favorite TDN song. And the organ playing is so good.

Indeed. Jimmy’s Leslie speed choices are sublime in this song. Maybe the best use of stop to tremolo in the history of popular music. Even in this live video. In fact, the band’s whole performance is pretty impressive here. I believe this is from the Smothers Brothers show. 

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

It’s mind-boggling that there’s so little live video of this original band. It’s sad because they were such a great performers. This is from a poorly recorded concert back in 1970. You can watch the entire concert if you can get through the terrible sound.

Chucks fall from grace is even sadder.  These guys were a power house.  Three lead singers and a great backing band.  I am surprised they used a 900 as you don't get the slower motor on the bottom drum.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Any band with a big bad B-3 in '65 - '75 got my attention.  I like the intro to Chest Fever by TDN more than the original Garth Hudson version on Music from Big Pink.

The late 60s vibe included a massive amount of back-and-forth between soul and rock.  Soul being, to some degree, a hybrid of rock and R&B to begin with.  I think of Booker T and the MGs as the source that turned into a river after countless bands joined the flow.  Also Etta James.  Then blue-eyed soul/rock groups like The Young Rascals started popping up everywhere.  

I got to see TDN when they toured as warmup for the Animals - had to have been '68 or '69.  Then again a couple of years later when someone I've forgotten warmed up for them.  Great energy and that B-3!  Wore my bellbottoms and a hippy shirt.  Mom dropped me off and picked me up :)

The very concept of blue-eyed soul is cringey to lots of the younger crowd of the progressive persuasion.  I get it, but I'll be glad when everyone gets over it.  Although that probably won't happen until all musicians are equally destitute without regard to race, creed, culture, or sexual identity.  

nat

• Like 1