Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

March Madness (NCAA b-ball)

bill5

Crazy event so far. With Alabama's upset, NONE of the #1 seeds are left in the final 8 and it's not even half over! I wonder when the last time was that happened? 

I went down in flames early in the work pool. :)   And picked Alabama to win it all anyway. 

San Diego teams have a history of meekly laying down before heavily favored foes in major games - Yankees, Niners, Patriots... it goes on and on.

Not tonight though!  My favorite clip - taking it to the big boys!

As befitting an upset, an unheralded player romped on the court because Bama did not figure him at all into their game plan.  Can't blame them though - dude only averaged 9.5 points and 3.2 assists before this game.

• Like 1

I need to find a new team and see if I can get interested again. I have not watched a Kentucky game, or actually, any college or pro sports game in 5 years. We were promised the moon with a one and done system but all we got was way too many losses and even worse, no player attachment. It is hard to cheer for a team when you have no attachment to the players. 

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Hoping my Iowa Hawkeyes can pull it out tomorrow night. They have benefitted from some upsets in their bracket and of course the outlandish play of Caitlin Clark…oh wait, you guys are talking about the men. Forgot they also play basketball 😉

• Like 1

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

26 minutes ago, Sam Mullins said:

Hoping my Iowa Hawkeyes can pull it out tomorrow night. They have benefitted from some upsets in their bracket and of course the outlandish play of Caitlin Clark…oh wait, you guys are talking about the men. Forgot they also play basketball 😉

Clark is by far the best player in women's college basketball. Consistent over her career, 26.6, 27.0 and 26.9. If she doesn't come back next she should the #1 pick in the draft.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Jennifer S.

15 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

Clark is by far the best player in women's college basketball. Consistent over her career, 26.6, 27.0 and 26.9. If she doesn't come back next she should the #1 pick in the draft.

And while leading the nation in assists. We are a .500 team without her. So much fun to watch. 

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

Excuse me while I reach down to pick up my jaw off the floor.

San Diego State in the Final Four for the first time in school history!

Creighton was favored so this was technically an upset, but really it was  dogfight between evenly matched teams.    Lot of physical contact and grappling for the ball.  

No offensive stars, but their discipline in coordinating and executing the Steve Fisher defense has been working really well for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Music Guy said:

It was heartbreaking to see the UCONN women lose last night. Maybe the men can survive after a blowout win against 'Zaga.

Paige Bueckers says she coming back next year, so if that's true UCONN will be fine. She should come back because she won't be ready for the start of WNBA season. She should 100% by the start of college season.

Jennifer S.

2 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Excuse me while I reach down to pick up my jaw off the floor.

San Diego State in the Final Four for the first time in school history!

Creighton was favored so this was technically an upset, but really it was  dogfight between evenly matched teams.    Lot of physical contact and grappling for the ball.  

No offensive stars, but their discipline in coordinating and executing the Steve Fisher defense has been working really well for them.

I think that 7 seniors in their rotation has paid of big time. I think we are seeing that some times a group 2 or 3 star recruits who play together for 3 or 4 years can beat a team 5 star recruits who are together for 1 year.

Jennifer S.

4 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I think that 7 seniors in their rotation has paid of big time. I think we are seeing that some times a group 2 or 3 star recruits who play together for 3 or 4 years can beat a team 5 star recruits who are together for 1 year.

Agreed, the maturity is a difference maker.  I saw Creighton's star center lose his cool a couple of times - I think he's a sophomore.  SDSU players never got too emotional if plays didn't go their way, and quickly regrouped. 

When I look at the SDSU roster compared to last year's squad that lost to Creighton, I see 3 transfers - Darrion Trammel, Jaedon Ledee, and Micah Parrish - all making an impact at various points of the season.  Ledee transferred earlier but had to sit out the 2021-2022 season because it was his 2nd transfer - all he could do was show up to practice and that obviously paid off.  The current roster has several players who were on the 2019-2020 squad that only had 2 losses, but did not make the tournament because the pandemic forced cancellation.

Iowa women make it to Final Four. Clark’s line:

41 pts

12 assists

10 rebounds

yowza

www.stickmanor.com

Haven't been able to watch as much this year, but Caitlin Clark is already legendary. One of the best shooters we've ever seen on either side of the tournament. Angel Reese from LSU has also had some pretty crazy stat lines including 25 points/24 rebounds/6 blocks against Michigan.

My Gators of course weren't up to par this year, but the women are still competing for the NIT. The men accepted a bid but lost out early.

I'll have a hard time picking a team between SDSU and FAU, although I'll likely lean towards FAU, since Dusty May used to be an assistant in Gainesville. Will be amazing to see either of those teams compete for a national title. UConn all the way in the other game, of course, lol.

This cracks me up:

"Should the Pac-12 claim San Diego State’s trip to the Final Four as a virtual win for its conference?"

https://www.si.com/college/cal/basketball/san-diego-state-to-final-four

The Pac-12 beat writers have gradually changed their attitude about SDSU from "boring but at least they're in southern California" to "adding them will make us a better basketball conference!" to "Let's claim them as ours already!"

As it stands, SDSU has earned 5 units so far, for a total of approx. $10 million payout, and that is going to the Mountain West instead of the Pac 12.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My beloved RU Scarlet Knights played their way out of the tournament with a series of losses and didn't do great in the Big 10 tournament.

I was in NYC this weekend for Billy Joel last night and got a last minute ticket to the Florida Atlantic / Kansas State game Saturday- one of the best sporting events I have ever been at

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

The Pac-12 beat writers have gradually changed their attitude about SDSU from "boring but at least they're in southern California" to "adding them will make us a better basketball conference!" to "Let's claim them as ours already!"

They better get them before the SEC starts building a western division.

• Haha 2

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The  Final Four has come down to (5) SDSU/(9) FAU and (5)Miami(FL)/(4) UConn.

I hope these matchups do not come down to UConn blowing out their opponents similar the Gonzaga game.  That affair was over shortly after tip-off.🤣

This year's NCAAB championship could very well be the equivalent of the NCAAF championship with Georgia crushing TCU.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Miami vs. UConn should be good.  Miami's path to the Final Four included Indiana, Houston and Texas - quite the gauntlet.  I'm guessing they're not scared of UConn after beating those other powerhouses.  Their coach Jim Larranaga previously coached George Mason to a Final Four appearance.

SDSU and FAU both spread minutes evenly between starters and bench while other teams, including Miami and UConn, only dip into the bench once in a while.  FAU loves to shoot 3s, and will try to beat SDSU with wave after wave of shooters, while SDSU will counter with a rotation of bodies to swarm to the ball handler.   SDSU will keep doing what worked against Creighton, Alabama, etc. - slow the game down to an excruciating grind, try to capitalize when the opponent gets frustrated, starts looking at the refs for fouls, etc.  Works really well with a senior-heavy roster vs. younger teams.

Hawkeye fan here. Just hope it is competitive   SC clearly the deepest and most talented team in the nation by a wide margin. My guess is Iowa could win once out of 15 games against them. And that is only because we have shooters and they could all get hot.  So I’m saying we got a chance…  😀

Fun article by Rick Reilly about Clark here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/03/29/iowa-star-caitlin-clark-ncaa-final-four/

• Like 1

www.stickmanor.com

Well, that was insane.  This is the first year I've been more interested in watching the women's tourney than the men's and that last game especially did not disappoint.  It reminded me of rooting for Duke way, way back against undefeated, invincible UNLV and they pulled it off.  That was a classic game right there, after a pretty exciting first game.

If South Carolina had a couple consistent outside shooters to go with all that size they'd win every game by 30, but every team was able to sag back and give themselves a chance.

7 hours ago, Sam Mullins said:

Hawkeye fan here. Just hope it is competitive   SC clearly the deepest and most talented team in the nation by a wide margin. My guess is Iowa could win once out of 15 games against them. And that is only because we have shooters and they could all get hot.  So I’m saying we got a chance…  😀

And I’m frequently wrong 😑 

Stunned. 

www.stickmanor.com