Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Copyright, quoting someone

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's going to depend on where it comes from. If you know that it's Winston Churchill, and it came from a copyrighted book, then you would have to contact the copyright holder for permission to use it. If you don't know who said it, or if it's copyrighted, then I would hazard a guess that you would need to find out.

Although I could be wrong. Churchill's speeches could be public domain. I'm probably just typing to see myself type. ;)

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If you say, " In the words of Winston Churchill, You must sink the Bismark(SP)" Then it's okay. But if you just say You must sink the Bismark(SP), that copyright infringement. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

So, say I read in a copyrighted book that Lord Whippersnapper, whom I have never heard of, is the originator of "Goonga-galoonga, goongala-goongala-goonga" and taught it to the Dali Lhama and I want it to be the chorus of my song, I got a problem?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

'I read in (book name and author here) that Lord Whippersnapper, is the originator of "Goonga-galoonga, goongala-goongala-goonga" and taught it to the Dali Lhama.' Now, if you can put that to music and make it sound good, rock on. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

• 6 months later...

?? It was always easy to get a copyright (if not fast), and I've never used an attorney to obtain one.

Although it's obviously advisable to obtain a copyright by applying for one, song lyrics are actually already technically copyrighted when you write them. Of course, you want to be able to prove this, and one of the best ways is to obtain a copyright via application.

Archived