Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rainy Time in Northern California

I just spent 10 damp and rainy days in Seigler Springs California. 13-1/2 hours up I-10 to I-5 and local roads. 850 miles all in one shot each way. I spent more time lugging firewood and starting the fireplace inside for heat in the house. Then with trips to Forestvill Ca., over hair raising curves (with my sister in law driving) and also down to Clear Lake town on the south end of the lake several times that week. Glad to be home in the Az desert where the roads are straight, and my central heating does all the work in the house for heat.

• Like 3

I'm from Cali and used to live in the Potter Valley area which is a bit northwest of Clear Lake. 

I've been watching this deluge, Cali getting flooded everywhere. 

I live in Washington state now, Bellingham is right on the Salish Sea but is mostly quite a bit higher and would be impossible to flood unless the ocean rises about 300 feet or so. 

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

We have the threat of flooding because of the runoff from the mountains behind us. The worst is we have a lot of unpaved streets. Our street is paved because we live across the street from the town center and the post office, but there's one muddy street I have to walk through going to work😬. Our houses raised, so don't normally have issues with water getting in.streetview2.jpeg.b0a56ced11fbea35956bc130005cd002.jpeg

• Like 3
Jenny S.

57 minutes ago, desertbluesman said:

I just spent 10 damp and rainy days in Seigler Springs California. 13-1/2 hours up I-10 to I-5 and local roads. 850 miles all in one shot each way. I spent more time lugging firewood and starting the fireplace inside for heat in the house. Then with trips to Forestvill Ca., over hair raising curves (with my sister in law driving) and also down to Clear Lake town on the south end of the lake several times that week. Glad to be home in the Az desert where the roads are straight, and my central heating does all the work in the house for heat.

Glad you're safe and sound and drier and warmer...

17 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

We have the threat of flooding because of the runoff from the mountains behind us. The worst is we have a lot of unpaved streets. Our street is paved because we live across the street from the town center and the post office, but there's one muddy street I have to walk through going to work😬. Our houses raised, so don't normally have issues with water getting in.streetview2.jpeg.b0a56ced11fbea35956bc130005cd002.jpeg

Sorry about the muddy treks, and the potential flooding threat. Glad your street is paved (I remember a LOT of dirt roads around where we lived when I was little!), and that your house is raised-up a bit. That's a charming looking little home you have there, too, with beautiful scenery! Love the color of your house...

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

3,000' elevations and above had a lot of roof cave ins due to snow load.  Flooding along the rivers down below in the Sacramento basin area.  The Ski resorts will be staying open through June and July at 7,000' as this is a record snow season.  I'm at 1,000' elevation and staying high and dry.  We desperately needed all the rain and snow in northern California due to our drought years, so we can't really complain. 😎

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
Take care, Larryz

I don't know how we missed out on all this fun up here near Canada!

We've always gotten plenty of rain, almost everywhere in Bellingham is on a slope or well up from the water's edge. 

If/when we have a tsunami in our earthquake area, it will obliterate the buildings that are right down on the water but the land rises quickly from there. I'm well back and behind I-5 on a slope. It will not flood where I am and several grocery stores are nearby so I have options. Our power grid comes from farther inland so it's unlikely that everything will go dark for any length of time. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.