Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to lubricate 3-on-plate tuners

DaveMcM

Disclaimer- I'm a keyboard player but decided to venture out of Keyboard Corner for this question. Thanks in advance for any help.

My brother still has the 1962 Gibson SG Junior that my parents gave to him for a Christmas present some 60ish years ago. He played it for about a year and it has lived in it's case ever since. Needless to say, it needs a little tenderly loving care. The output jack is a little funky but I can deal with that. Where I need some guidance is with the tuners.  Several are very hard to turn. Before I replace the strings, I want to lube the tuners. The gears are covered but there is a little hole on the back of each cover above the worm gear. Is this where to add lubrication and if so, what is the best lubricant to use? Also, will it hurt this guitar to polish the frets and tailpiece? I also plan to oil the fretboard. He is not selling the guitar as it is very sentimental but he does want to make sure it stays in good condition.

• Like 1

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

@DaveMcM- First thought, be VERY careful with the tuner heads! After all this time, they're likely to be very brittle, trying to force the tuner may well crack the tuner head.

Second thought, it's possible that the original lubricant has gelled, and may be part of the current problem, so adding more lubricant, of any kind, may not be a fix.

You're talking about a Guitar that may have been an affordable entry-level model back in its time, but at this point, it's worth several thousand dollars, depending on a number of factors. In that regard, it's well worth seeking out a nearby, or relatively nearby, repair shop with a good reputation.

At the outside, it might almost be worth contacting Gibson directly, to ask for recommendations. Until then, here is the best thing I could find to address your question. Dan IS THE MAN, when it comes to Guitar repair, have no doubt.

Closeted Gibson with stuck tuners

• Like 2

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Wow! Thank you so much for the information and the link to Dan Erlewine. The last thing I want to do is mess up this guitar. My thought was to get some Tri-Flo but I was afraid of what it could do to the finish. Now I know NOT to do that while the tuners are on the guitar. Luckily I know enough to know when I don't know something. Thank you again for your help.

• Like 3

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

1 hour ago, DaveMcM said:

Wow! Thank you so much for the information and the link to Dan Erlewine. The last thing I want to do is mess up this guitar. My thought was to get some Tri-Flo but I was afraid of what it could do to the finish. Now I know NOT to do that while the tuners are on the guitar. Luckily I know enough to know when I don't know something. Thank you again for your help.

I didn't check out the Dan Erlewine link yet but he is a great resource and respected by all guitar repair geeks. 

It's standard operating procedure with tuners to remove them from the guitar before doing any sort of service. Metal can withstand a variety of chemicals, the finish on that guitar is nitrocellulose lacquer and some modern lubricants can ruin it. 

Being that it is a Jr model, the keys are probably plastic and Winston is correct, those may not survive. 

Honestly, I'd probably take that set off and replace it with a new set of Klusons with metal buttons. Keep the original tuners in the case so the guitar can be put back to original if anybody ever wants to do that. 

I would proceed with caution, without seeing the guitar it's hard to say what condition it is in. Sometimes storing them in a low humidity (or high humidity) environment can change things in ways that require caution. So wait and learn more before polishing the frets or tailpiece and also while considering oiling the fretboard. 

Going about this incorrectly can cause more harm than good. FWIW, I've worked on LOTS of guitars, maybe thousands. It was my job for quite a few years and I serviced several local music shops and their customers plus my own customers. 

I agree you should have a tech do the work but you need to make sure they know what they are doing first.

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

6 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

At the outside, it might almost be worth contacting Gibson directly, to ask for recommendations. Until then, here is the best thing I could find to address your question. Dan IS THE MAN, when it comes to Guitar repair, have no doubt.

Closeted Gibson with stuck tuners

Indeed on both counts. 

2 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Dan Erlewine... ...is a great resource and respected by all guitar repair geeks.

He's a National Treasure and a really nice guy; I wish we could expect him to live forever...

2 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Honestly, I'd probably take that set off and replace it with a new set of Klusons with metal buttons. Keep the original tuners in the case so the guitar can be put back to original if anybody ever wants to do that.

I concur!

7 hours ago, DaveMcM said:

The output jack is a little funky but I can deal with that.

I can HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend the Bullet 2.0 Guitar Jack Tightener as the right tool for the job, as far as tightening almost any and all guitar output jacks. I love mine! Snugs-up loose jacks without twirling and damaging wires and solder-joints. A bit smaller in real life than it appears to be in the following photos:

i80xiQf.jpg

Lvc8bJO.jpg

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Ah, the jack.

It's a Switchcraft jack, back then that's what USA made guitars used. If the jack is loose, take off the back plate, hold the jack firmly in place and tighten it. You can even use a crescent wrench if you are careful. 

Caevan's tool above looks pretty handy, I might have to get one. 

Bear in mind that the jack probably also needs cleaning, they get oxidized. I roll a piece of 220 grit sandpaper up small enough to push it into the hole where the cord goes, then spin it around a few times. That will remove all corrosion. Go deep enough clean off the clip that is the positive lead. The guitar will sound better, even if it already worked. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Ah, the jack.

It's a Switchcraft jack, back then that's what USA made guitars used. If the jack is loose, take off the back plate, hold the jack firmly in place and tighten it. You can even use a crescent wrench if you are careful. 

Bear in mind that the jack probably also needs cleaning, they get oxidized. I roll a piece of 220 grit sandpaper up small enough to push it into the hole where the cord goes, then spin it around a few times. That will remove all corrosion. Go deep enough clean off the clip that is the positive lead. The guitar will sound better, even if it already worked. 

Indeed.

4 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Caevan's tool above looks pretty handy, I might have to get one.

It's pretty great! Tightens loose jacks without any disassembly, and without twirling parts and wires inside, to boot.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Indeed.

It's pretty great! Tightens loose jacks without any disassembly, and without twirling parts and wires inside, to boot.

Well, don't tell EVERYBODY!!!! 

I've bought quite a few guitars for almost nothing because somebody grabbed the cheap, crappy jack nut and started trying to tighten it with pliers or something. 

Then they twisted the wires off and the guitar didn't work anymore so they sold it cheap (and I bought it, soldered it back up and sold it again).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

Well, don't tell EVERYBODY!!!! 

I've bought quite a few guitars for almost nothing because somebody grabbed the cheap, crappy jack nut and started trying to tighten it with pliers or something. 

Then they twisted the wires off and the guitar didn't work anymore so they sold it cheap (and I bought it, soldered it back up and sold it again).

OK, OK, I take it back! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DaveMcM said:

Disclaimer- I'm a keyboard player but decided to venture out of Keyboard Corner for this question. Thanks in advance for any help.

My brother still has the 1962 Gibson SG Junior that my parents gave to him for a Christmas present some 60ish years ago. He played it for about a year and it has lived in it's case ever since. Needless to say, it needs a little tenderly loving care. The output jack is a little funky but I can deal with that. Where I need some guidance is with the tuners.  Several are very hard to turn. Before I replace the strings, I want to lube the tuners. The gears are covered but there is a little hole on the back of each cover above the worm gear. Is this where to add lubrication and if so, what is the best lubricant to use? Also, will it hurt this guitar to polish the frets and tailpiece? I also plan to oil the fretboard. He is not selling the guitar as it is very sentimental but he does want to make sure it stays in good condition.

I would take it to a tech with a great reputation for working on classic collector guitars.  This guitar could be worth anywhere from $4 to $6,000.  It would not be one to experiment at home with IMHO.  Since your brother only played it for a year, I doubt it has any fret wear.  A little clean up polish on the frets, lemon oil on the fretboard, and some new strings may be all it needs. +1 if the tuners do not work, the tech can replace them with new ones and save the originals in the case...good luck! 😎

Take care, Larryz

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the responses. I followed Dan Erlewine's method of cleaning the tuners (removed from the headstock). Then used Tri-Flow lubricant. I am going to make sure any residual lubricant is completely gone before re-installing the tuners. Actually I may just purchase a replacement set and store the originals. Truth is the guitar probably isn't going to be played much anyway, but it would still be nice to keep in in tune without the risk of snapping of the plastic tuner keys. I am going to buy one of those Bullet 2.0 Guitar Jack Tightener's that Caevan O’Shite mentioned. (oops, sorry to let that secret out again). That could come in handy on some keyboard output jacks as well.

Again, thanks for everyone's suggestions. I promise I won't do anything to screw up this guitar. It is in great shape.

• Like 4

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

3 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I received my copy of Dan Erlewine's book this week and have become a big fan. I'm also a fan of Albert Lee from his work with The Hot Band. I was going to post this on the what's in your eyes thread. It's  a Fender, not a Gibson, but I thought it may be of some interest here.

https://youtu.be/xvS7alTYagM

Dan Erlewine is one of the important figures regarding modern guitars and maintenance. His tutorials are consistently excellent. 

I saw Albert Lee on his 70th birthday tour, he played about 25 miles south of here in Mt. Vernon at the Lincoln Theater, which is one of the many Fox theaters on the west coast. Fantastic guitarist!!!! I also saw Emmylou Harris but she was on the Wrecking Ball tour and Albert Lee was not part of that band. Great band too. 

• Like 2