Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

James Hetfield used a Fender Telecaster on The Unforgiven II

James used this guitar to record the intro on “The Unforgiven II” from the 1997 album “Reload”, and it was seen in the music video for the song.

The guitar is a mid 90s reissue of the 1952 Fender Telecaster, featuring ash body and maple neck. It is custom fitted with a B-Bender system, which allows you to mechanically bend the B-string up a whole tone to C-sharp. The majority of the Load and ReLoad albums were cut with this Telecaster. He also uses it on the song My Friend Of Misery from The Black Album.

image.png.cabaa318e06f32db981493622fd13daf.png

James is not usually known for playing a lot of Telecasters, but he has a considerable guitar collection, mostly comprising of ESP guitars and Gibsons. I think he still has this Telecaster...

If you guys like James Hetfield playing a Fender Telecaster, please let me know.

• Like 1

I owned a massively boogered 1952 Tele with "Leo" written in cursive in the neck route. A friend has it now. 

One of my first electric guitars was a 65 Tele I bought at a pawn shop for $70. It had been spray painted metallic purple and the pick guard was covered with green wood grain self adhesive film like Mom used to use in the kitchen cupboards. I stripped it and gave the ash body a bright red orange sunburst. 

I've got a Tele body and neck that I built from scratch, I need to finish that guitar. Bookmatched flame maple top with an orange lacquer finish. Fat wide neck with ebony fretboard and just big side dots. Floyd Rose (non-fine tuner version). 

I have 2 Teles now, both are "parts guitars". One is an orange ash body with a Warmoth Baritone neck and tuned down to B, the other is a flamed walnut over pine body with a standard scale wide fatback Warmoth neck. Both have EMG pickups and locking tuners. Meanwhile, over the years I've bought and sold 9 Gibson Les Pauls and I have zero Les Pauls. I don't want one. 

A Tele will cut through a wall of Les Pauls. A Les Paul will blend in with a wall of Teles, you might not even notice it. Foof...

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.