Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM 2023 - who’s going?

One more unusual NAMM Anaheim show date coming up - April 13-15.   The 2024 Anaheim show will return to its usual January slot.

I will be there, of course.  Can’t remember the last time I missed a NAMM show… 🤔

Who else is planning to attend?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I’m considering it. If I do, I hope to see some of us!

• Like 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be going to the "Winter NAMM - Special Edition" event. 

I actually think it will be interesting, and in years to come, be seen as the bridge between traditional trade shows and what comes next. Or at least I hope so...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I went.

Honestly, I thought it was the most disappointing NAMM show I’ve ever attended.  Manufacturer participation was underwhelming…but most of all, the ratio of end users over industry professionals seemed to be greater than ever.  As a manufacturer I go to NAMM mainly to see dealers, press and other manufacturers, not to spend time doing individual product demos for end users whose needs we could better address online.  

I felt like the time and money we spent attending could easily have been much better spent in a whole bunch of different and more productive ways.

If we attend another NAMM show, we will have a greatly reduced presence.

Gear-wise, my favorite thing was probably the Osmose.

dB

@Dave Bryce I know we talked about this in person (and we politely disagree), and I understand your points, but I heard a lot of good things from manufacturers (mainly in the North Hall). Most said that it was good to be back and see and talk with people in person, and they were really happy with this year's show, especially over last year's.

I am a firm believer that for our industry (heck, even society) to succeed long-term, we need to get back to human interaction whenever and wherever possible. Most people I know(manufacturer and end-user) are, by and large, really burnt out on things being "online".  I also think that it's good to remember, especially as it relates to product demos, that some people suck at "online learning" and need someone to hold their hand and walk them through things in person.

I do think this is a reboot of NAMM and what is to come, I do agree that the NAMM experience can be re-tooled, and I am also glad that some of the bloat has been reduced.

Editor - RECORDING Magazine

8 hours ago, Paul Vnuk Jr. said:

@Dave Bryce I know we talked about this in person (and we politely disagree), and I understand your points, but I heard a lot of good things from manufacturers (mainly in the North Hall). Most said that it was good to be back and see and talk with people in person, and they were really happy with this year's show, especially over last year's.

I can’t help but wonder how much of that was because the 2nd floor of the North Hall was eliminated, so pretty much all the pro audio folks were on the first floor of the North Hall.  It was also the only place in the show where there were enough well known companies grouped together to be interesting to the end users who seemed to be the biggest segment of attendees.

I agree that the human interaction thing is a key element of the shows that can’t be duplicated online; however, the key factor of what typically drives the show and makes it valuable over the years to those of us exhibiting wasn’t end users - it was the industry people who (for as long as I can remember)  have been the main reason the show exists.  There were a whole lot of those folks who either were there in a greatly reduced capacity or not there at all.

I believe the true indicator will be in January.

dB

• Like 1