Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha P515B vs. MODX8

zephonic

While the P515 sounds and plays absolutely phenomenal on headphones, it's not as satisfying on the line outs. I decided to do an A/B comparo with my MODX8 which -in theory- has the same piano samples. I've included audio samples below.

I used the standard settings for both, which in case of MODX means the "CFX Concert" patch, velocity curve normal, output level 0 dB. In case of the P515 it means bog standard CFX Grand, nothing changed in the settings.

Obviously, the MODX' output is waaay hotter, like twice as loud, and its reverb is much more prominent.

I can upload files with gains and reverb adjusted later, but I just wanted to put this out there "as is" first.

Both were recorded directly through my RME UCXII audio interface. The performance is not identical, I did not use a MIDI file. I just played roughly the same thing on both. For the purpose of this comparo I felt it would suffice.

P515B                                                                  MODX8

• Like 1

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I read somewhere that Yamaha has separate departments for different kinds of instruments, so portable pianos or keyboards are from different department than synths. And they have different internal architecture - different sound engines, P515 has CFX and Bosendorfer engine, with VRM, MODX has the "universal" AWM2 for sample-based sounds. P515 is meant to sound well from its internal speakers so the sound has to fit to the speakers characteristics, MODX and other synths depend on external speakers which can be various kinds and sizes.

I believe MODX sound will be more similar to CP88 than to P515. You can compare those two videos, clearly P515 is darker, fuller.

Said all that, the raw samples data those sounds are made of can be naturally the same.

If you want to make the sound of P-515 more similat to MODX sound, you can raise brightness a bit in Piano Room and/or adjust touch curve.

P-515, PC4-7, CK61

This is with all FX turned off, and MODX output lowered -6dB. It's a lot closer. I think the Master and Insert FX do a lot for the MODX' presence.

But I still feel the MODX gives more of a change when hitting it fortissimo/fortissisimo. With the 515 I hit it hard and I don't feel like it barks as much.

Where the 515 wins big is the action, of course. It is so much nicer.

P515B                                                                  MODX8

• Like 1

I have a strong interest in the P515 at the moment...I am kind of trying to weigh between  that and the Roland FP90x, though I don't really have access to demo either one of them. This is strictly for home use.... I wouldn't want to lug either around.

Isn't the 515 somewhat similar to the CP4 ? I don' think the 515 has the Bosendorfer....I am not sure of the similarities of the different models.

I still have a CP5...but I came to dislike it because to me the low end harmonics sound quite artificial. The CP4 CFX was somewhat of an improvement .... I have never had issues with the lower register of Rolands I have played.

My current piano is a Roland FP10 and I actually like it quite a bit. I have come to like the action too...my opinion is that the FP 10 is a bargain in the lightweight market.

Seeking feedback on the 515 and Roland FP 90x also.

515 does have the Bösendorfer sample.

But the CFX is clearly the crown jewel. They went for a darker, less dynamic tone for the Bosie. It’s nice for certain things, although it lacks the dynamic range of the CFX.

I believe P-515 has three sample sets for acoustic pianos. 

Bosendorfer samples for Bosendorfer, Warm Grand, Jazz Grand 

C7 samples for Studio Grand

CFX for main CFX Grand and everything else 

I wouldn't say Bosendorfer is less dynamic. Yes, it's darker in general but you can adjust it. For my ears all Bosendorfer based presets have more body and presence in middle register. Anyway there are various presets suitable for various different things. 

LX888, you need to try both, and try third good option - Kawai ES920/ES520 - as well. 

P-515, PC4-7, CK61

47 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

Live with the Yamaha DXR8 mk2s, in an acoustic jazz context, the 515 sounds pretty close to the real deal, especially if the room acoustics are good.

What sound do you use mostly, CFX or Bosie?

Agree with DF, the P-515 sounds more warm and full. 

Both KBs get the job done in covering digital piano.

Key action may be the tie-breaker.

However, the MODX8 does have a thousand more sounds.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I’ve rented the 515 for the last month while my Kurzweil is being repaired.
I have only played it with my headphones and internal speakers. 
It’s not a bad a little unit but I would never buy it as I’m really more focused on workstations. Just rented it to keep my fingers and brain active, I have short term musical memory so can’t go long periods without forgetting songs etc…
I was expecting something richer and more authentic sounding to an actual grand piano but to me, it doesn’t meet the standard I wanted. I actually prefer the ballad grand of all the pianos on board. The Bosendorfer has great dynamics though going from quiet soft passages to harder more aggressive playing, I thought it was the best for classical style music. 
I found the keybed enjoyable to play but a little heavy compared to my pc3k, I’m sure I would get used to it.

It’s a very heavy unit to lug around, that’s got to be a factor for anyone buying it.
it also has no user memory and any adjustments you make to customize your preferences can’t be saved as far as I know. I didn’t get a manual with it and really didn’t care to delve into that issue, maybe I’m wrong.

There is a gorgeous pad on board called “lite pad”, I really like that. The elector pianos are quite nice too, I combined the soft and phaser electric pianos to play Billy Joels Just the way you are and thought that sounded very nice too.

Nice keyboard just not for me, I’m sure many will love it.

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

There has been a used P515 in my area for quite some time actually. I am amazed it hasn't sold....and it has tempted me I must admit.

But because it is being sold by a private party I can assume that the time I would have to demo it would be limited .

One of my big questions would be the action. I think it was Stu Harrison at Merriam on a Youtube video mentioned the action might be  bit heavy on the 515...that would be a concern. 

\The best I can determine from past experience is that the 515 CFX sample might be quite a bit like the CP4 ...which I got to try quite a bit when they were present in Guitar Center stores. 

The big question would be whether or not Yamaha samples have come up a notch or not since the 515/ CP4. I have a friend who is a die hard CP4 user that claims that the recent Yamaha issues...CP88 etc. have not given him significant reason to consider any upgrade.

I am looking for an instrument with speakers that I can enjoy for years to come. This would not be for  gigging.... just something to sit down and play no muss no fuss.

I love my P515. I play it a lot during the winter when I'm in Florida and don't have an acoustic piano to practice on. When I get back to NY, and my Yamaha C3 acoustic grand, the transition is seamless. I've heard people say that the P515 action is heavy but that's not my experience. The action feels great to me. I can play expressively on it, the finger to ear connection is fantastic, I can balance the layers I'm playing and control the dynamics of the inner voices (which has been a struggle for me with other digital pianos). I have no issue playing fast (other than my own limitations).

Here's a tune I recorded which has some inner voice movement. I love how I was able to just run a USB cable from the P515 to my iPhone (with the help of a USB to Lightning adapter) and just hit the record button. So simple!

I also have a CP4 and like it a lot but, to me, the P515 sounds and plays better. 

• Like 5

I only have a Modx7 so can't comment on the action (though I did own a Moxf8 for a while).  What I do notice is that the Modx is almost too dynamic, and in fact I've been meaning to go and de-emphasize velocity on many of my favorite patches.  It's just too easy to get massive volume jumps (especially on the ultra-light Modx7 keybed).  My Hammond sk pro ensemble sounds are much more "normalized"--and if I was recording, I'd say that being more dynamic is a good thing.  But for live it's kind of a headache.

As discussed in another thread, slapping a compressor on there (master or just on the performance) has a different headache, you might have problems boosting if you need to.   And of course compression creates a different sound that may or may not be desired.

The other issue I've had with the Modx pianos specifically is mono incompatibility, especially the CFX (which is my live piano of choice as it is bright.)

1 hour ago, LX888 said:

I am looking for an instrument with speakers that I can enjoy for years to come. This would not be for  gigging.... just something to sit down and play no muss no fuss.

Assuming you still want it to be a slab rather than a console, P515 would seem to be near the top of the heap. Personally, I think I'd take a look at the Kawai ES920. (The other "higher end" slabs with speakers that come to mind would be be Roland FP60X/FP90X, Korg SV-2S, Dexibell S7 Pro M, Casio PX-S6000/PX-S7000.)

4 minutes ago, Stokely said:

The other issue I've had with the Modx pianos specifically is mono incompatibility, especially the CFX (which is my live piano of choice as it is bright.)

I've rarely played piano on the MODX7, since it's primarily a "top" for me. But when I've gigged with a YC73, I found its S700 to be the most amenable to mono playing. That said, I've never tried using only the right "non-mono" side of the stereo outs, which has been suggested,

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

4 hours ago, Al Quinn said:

I love my P515. I play it a lot during the winter when I'm in Florida and don't have an acoustic piano to practice on. When I get back to NY, and my Yamaha C3 acoustic grand, the transition is seamless. I've heard people say that the P515 action is heavy but that's not my experience. The action feels great to me. I can play expressively on it, the finger to ear connection is fantastic, I can balance the layers I'm playing and control the dynamics of the inner voices (which has been a struggle for me with other digital pianos). I have no issue playing fast (other than my own limitations).

Here's a tune I recorded which has some inner voice movement. I love how I was able to just run a USB cable from the P515 to my iPhone (with the help of a USB to Lightning adapter) and just hit the record button. So simple!

I also have a CP4 and like it a lot but, to me, the P515 sounds and plays better. 

Wow - that’s SO nice!  Love it! 

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I've rarely played piano on the MODX7, since it's primarily a "top" for me. But when I've gigged with a YC73, I found its S700 to be the most amenable to mono playing. That said, I've never tried using only the right "non-mono" side of the stereo outs, which has been suggested,

I don't like the s700 as much in general, but I agree that it changes less when switched to mono, so I've been playing around with it.

I tried right-side-only once at a gig without really testing it at home....I had major issues with several non-piano patches that were normally ok in mono so I had to quickly abort the idea.   Still a work in progress.

Didn't mean to derail the thread.   By biggest beef with the Mofx8 (and so the Modx8) is not the action so much, but the bulk.  It's not heavy but it is difficult to move around without whacking into things.