Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

studio monitors...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Emptiness...what's so empty?

As for the monitors...your best bet is to do a search here and see what comes up. There have been quite a few threads about monitors.

I was pretty happy with the Mackie 824s which were like $1200/pr but I Ebayed them when I moved and I think I'll go better if I ever have money again. ADAMS maybe? I kind of fought with the Mackie's but I was happy with the end product.

Of course, the very best thing is to borrow some monitors in your price range that come recommended, and then listen to them in the room you're going to do your mixing in.

For what it's worth, I LOVE my Event PS8's!

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

Guys! Youth is on a budget!

I think you'd be hardpressed to beat a pair of Radio Shack Optimus speakers. I don't remember the exact model number, but someone will probably chime in with more info.

You'd be surprised how many audio fanatics love Radio Shack Optimus. They work well, and they are CHEAP...

And you heard right, youth....headphones are not good for mixing.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Im going to back up Joachim and say I absolutely loved the Event PS8's as well!

They have always done my ears SERIOUS pleasure...

But I dont own them......no no

I too had a budget....

So I went with the Event TR8's.

They are budget friendly......

I mean if you spend to little you might as well buy some computer speakers from Best Buy...

Its definitley something to TAKE YOUR TIME BUYING.

Like stated before.....

Go and listen to multiple sets....side by side...

Listen to one and then the other....and then backward...

Guess I mentioned my PS8's because I got them really cheap (half price at the time). I paid roughly $600 for a pair.

I'd say if you can't afford to spend AT LEAST $500 on a pair of studio monitors, then wait until you CAN afford it. You simply can't afford to use crappy monitors on any half-serious to serious project.

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

Originally posted by jmitch:

Super 8,

Is this what you're referring to?

http://www.angelfire.com/vt/audio/minimus.html

Maybe, but I can't say for certain. Lee Flier knows the speakers I'm talking about. I've heard her mention them. She might have even used a pair.

Certainly the Optimus isn't going to give you the sound of Phil's Adam's. But what the hell?

I don't think Youth is trying to operate a commercial studio either.

For 50 or 75 bucks you can get set up with a nice accurate speaker that has earned a lot of respect but is often overlooked simply because it's so inexpensive and comes from Radio Shack.

I think they would be ideal to learn mixing on, and even to keep around after you've learned, just as a nice reference speaker.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Which Optimus? I didn't see any Optimus monitors on the 'Shack site.

I posted a similar question a while back and some folks recommended one of the Event TR series for $300-$600, then sell 'em on E-bay for 70% price. 'Seemed a bit of a risk for us, 'cause we're just doing one recording then calling it quits.

Originally posted by Hanshananigan:

They're labeled RCA now. I think it happened about 4 years ago.

*edited for browser stupidity*

*Howard Zinn for President*

**Pilsner Urquell for President of Beers!**

I will gigve you the advice a friend (who is a working pro producer) gave me.

"Anything is better then what you are using. Any studio monitor will be a step up."

Check M-Audio, Wharfield and Behringer at the entry level.

There is no substitute.

Originally posted by Joe Cole:

I will gigve you the advice a friend (who is a working pro producer) gave me.

"Anything is better then what you are using. Any studio monitor will be a step up."

Meaning what exactly? I'm not sure how to take this advice. Would you please explain a little more?

Yeah, they aren't making consumer stereo speakers anymore. If they carry anything now, it's a very limited few. They have stepped out of that market.
Think Different.

Originally posted by jmitch:

Originally posted by Joe Cole:

[qb]I will gigve you the advice a friend (who is a working pro producer) gave me.

Meaning what exactly? I'm not sure how to take this advice. Would you please explain a little more?

When you are using headphones or stereo speakers for studio monitors, any studio monitor, even at the entry level will be more true.
There is no substitute.

Okay, I did a search on Optimus and this is what I found:

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Originally posted by thisDude:

I like the cheap approach. If you can get a mix sounding good on crappy monitors, shouldn't it sound great through good speakers?

Not necessarily. If there are artifacts in the recording or your mix that you can't hear because of your crappy monitors, they will be twice as glaring through good speakers.

That said, I've used Radio Shack bookshelf speakers as monitors quite a lot and they are DARNED accurate. In fact, a few large studios I worked at used them and took the face plate off so no one would see what brand it was. :D I think they told clients it was some expensive custom speaker. :D

I used to carry my pair around with me and hook them up in place of the NS-10's. :) They don't make the exact model that I have anymore, but the nearest equivalent is the Optimus X55-AV. They're $80 apiece, plus you will need the amp. Still, if you want a pretty decent monitoring system for CHEAP, and you don't buy my Events :D , this is definitely a way to go.

This was posted almost 2 years ago. If the speakers are not available through Radio Shack, I have no doubt you could find a pair on Ebay for a really good price.

Seriously, I've read reviews on these things in hi-end audio magizines. And if Lee Flier says likes 'em, that's a pretty good endorsement.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

MNixing totally in headpnones will be difficult to make translate well, and can be damaging to your ears.

The KRK Rokkit series are great for the money.

Also, treating the mix room properly is equally important. Great speakers don't do you much good in a poor listening environment. There are many economical ways to do this.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

EOY, you could always make your own. Go buy some decent DIY speaker kits or just the drivers/crossovers and do the wood yourself. You'll get much more for your money building them yourself rather than buying branded finished goods.

There's plenty of design help online if you want to design your own from first principles, or you can do a search on google for "monitor speaker kits" to see what's on offer (tons!).

I designed and built my first pair of monitors. They were infinite baffle design with 6" fiberglass (kevlar?) woofers and 1" matched dome tweeters. They cost around $150 to build (around 1990). I still have them and plan to use them as an alternate listening test pair in my new studio next to my Mackie HR824's and maybe some Adam's.

Cheers,

:DTR

Archived