Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

David Lindley RIP

Just heard that the massively talented, weirdly witty, darkly joyous, fun & funny purveyor of more strings than you can shake a stick at, David Lindley, has left the stage for greener pastures. He started out in the folk-rock 60s scene in LA and was able to turn quirkiness & obscure ethnic instruments into a music career. I was always one degree of separation away from him via several different bandmates, friends & family, but never got the opportunity to meet up & hang out. But I saw Lindley whenever he played locally & it was always an inspiration, leading eventually to my occasional fitful attempts on lap steel guitar. David Lindley, RIP, I hoist a catfood sandwich in your honor. Much respect.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
Scott Fraser

I know David Lindley's guitar playing prowess mainly through his work with Jackson Browne.  To be honest, the ONLY reason I ever paid attention to Jackson Browne's songs was because of David Lindley's amazing guitar playing.  I should look up to see if David ever played with anyone I like, because he was a terrific guitarist.  What a shame he's gone.

• Like 2
I rock; therefore, I am.

A weaver of many colorful threads in the musical tapestry of our lifetimes. Hats off; there will DEFINIELY NEVER be another like him... !

Wikipedia: "He mastered such a wide variety of instruments that Acoustic Guitar magazine referred to him not as a multi-instrumentalist, but instead as a "maxi-instrumentalist." "

I hope they have him dressed up in an insanely garish outfit for his funerary bash...  ;)  So long, Mr. Dave.

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

9 hours ago, Sharkman said:

I know David Lindley's guitar playing prowess mainly through his work with Jackson Browne.  To be honest, the ONLY reason I ever paid attention to Jackson Browne's songs was because of David Lindley's amazing guitar playing.  I should look up to see if David ever played with anyone I like, because he was a terrific guitarist.  What a shame he's gone.

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Rest In Peace David Lindley!

I saw David twice. The first time at the Mount Baker Blues Festival, he headlined and was doing his thing on a gigantic multi string hollow body lap steel. 

I was up by the stage, gobsmacked. Then a friend walked up and said "I was down behind the hill and I heard a reggae band so I came up to see who they were."

It was David Lindley, by himself. At the end of his set he invited everybody to come buy a CD at his tent. I went and stood in a fairly short line that grew behind me.

I got to the front, looked at David sitting at his swag table and said "I've been playing over 40 years and people consider me to be very good." Then I raised both arms with hands towards the sky, bowed deeply and smiled. David bowed back and smiled as well. I got the double CD - Live at the Vienna Concert Hall in Austria with Ry Cooder and (names escape me now - David's daughter on backup vocals and Ry's son on drums). David signed it for me. I still have it, great record!!!!!

I believe he was also the guitarist for Trio (Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton and Linda Rondstadt). Probably many, many others, a great musical talent and one of a kind. 

• Like 5
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Man, sure hasn't taken this year long. Jeff Beck, Wayne Shorter and now David Lindley.

His work with Jackson Browne was so melodic and tasteful. I heard some of his music with El Rayo X. He had the gift of making traditional tones rock. Great player, he will be missed. RIP.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491