Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dilemna for choosing Rhodes and Wurli emulations on MacBook

jejefunkyman

I've recently acquired a MacBook Air M1 after my old HP laptop has crashed again and because I started to be a bit bored by music making on the iPad. I needed something more powerful and with more features, especially on the DAW side, to kick off again my desire to produce music. I've decided to use Logic Pro and I'm currently learning to use it during the 90 days trial (which is a very nice offer by the way). Now comes the topic of which instruments to get to work fully in the box, and most importantly for me of course the Rhodes. I've tested the latest Rhodes V8 plugin but I'm not convinced by its main tone. I think maybe it sounds too real for me (which sounds a bit strange to tell I must admit). It is for sure well reproducing the real Rhodes V8 tones, based on all the demos I've heard, but I think I don't really get along with it, especially in the high and low registers. Of course, I'm very much influenced by the Rhodes tones I've used for many years on the Korg SV1, SV2, as well as the Scarbee tone I used through Korg Module on the iPad. So probably now the V8 tone is getting too far away from it for me for the time being.

So what should I do now? I was very much interested by the Purgatory Creek EPs based on the demos I've heard, but I'm really not happy that one has to buy the full Kontakt version to use it: it means having to pay 300€ to get many sounds that I'm not interested in and will probably never use. I think it is a really bad approach from them, but it is their decision and ain't nothing to do against it. I'm quite disappointed by this as I think I would have bought them without any doubt otherwise. My most likely candidate is now Scarbee, as I'm already enjoying it on the iPad and I think the Mac version has even more options to tweak the sounds and get different tones out of it. I find the price its price is even pretty reasonable. Neo Soul Keys studio 2 and VTines are no options for me, as I already tried them on the iPad and didn't really like them. 

I've tested Pianoteq and was neither convinced with it. Keyscape is neither a candidate as it also includes many additional instruments which I'm not interested in. Here I find it's a bit of a pity that one can't buy single instruments from it. Plus the LA custom type EP sound is not really my cup of tea. Same story for UVI Key Suite Electric. I know there are many more options in the market, but I don't think I will enjoy them more than Scarbee. 

Finally, the last option I'm thinking about is to use the Auto sampler function in Logic to create a software version of the SV2 Rhodes and Wurlis. Does anybody have any experience with it to sample Rhodes or Wurlis hardware versions? 

Ah and I forgot to mention that I tried a bit the Rhodes included in Logic, and found them not too bad. So maybe it could do the job until I make up my mind.

For the Wurli, I was not so convinced by the Logic's versions, so I'm also looking for a solution for this. Here the Scarbee A-200 emulation seems to be quite good to me. So it is as well my number 1 candidate at the moment. 

One other option could be to use the iPad versions of Scarbee and of the Wurli included in Module by connecting the iPad to the MacBook with a Lighting to USB-C cable, but it is not so pratical as it is no more a full in the box solution then. 

So sorry for the long post, but this is what happens when you get into a new ecosystem of virtual instruments: you get puzzled by the vast offering and all the constraints that come together with it. 

Any advice or opinion would be greatly appreciated 🙂 I'm looking forward to it...

While you are considering your options, do play with the settings on the Logic instruments. Depending on your controller and velocity scalings, things can sound more musical. The sampled versions referenced in this thread seem to me to clearly have a more luxurious sound than the modeled Logic instruments though. 

• Like 3

The NI Scarbee rhodes is what I use on my Mac. It's not as full featured as the Scarbee-branded EP88 (which is also very nice imo) but delivers that old-school sound I like. The Kontakt player is free of course, and I'm pretty sure the lastest version is AS native. I also use the NI Grandeur for acoustic piano though I prefer the older New York for gigging - it just sounds better coming out of my QSCs or Altos. I don't think you can find that anymore though.

Cheap as I am I got the NI stuff on their December half-price sale, and the Orange Tree Famous E on a group buy. The Famous E is another nice Rhodes and a good complement to the Scarbee because it's very different in sound - so it's nice to have both. I agree Keyscape is a bit much if all you're looking for is a basic AP and EP.

• Like 3

I have both Mac and iPad versions of the Scarbee EP88, and I think the iPad version is a scaled down version of the Mac version. It feels like there's less dynamics in the iPad version.  Maybe there are less samples per key or something else but the iPad version is significantly smaller (in bytes) than the Mac version. So, if you like the iPad version of the EP88 you will like the Mac version more 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, U.Honey said:

I have both Mac and iPad versions of the Scarbee EP88, and I think the iPad version is a scaled down version of the Mac version. It feels like there's less dynamics in the iPad version.  Maybe there are less samples per key or something else but the iPad version is significantly smaller (in bytes) than the Mac version. So, if you like the iPad version of the EP88 you will like the Mac version more 🙂

Yes this is also my guess, and why I'm pretty much attracted by it 🙂

• Like 1

Hands down for my taste is The Canterbury Rhodes. I do like Famous E a lot for variety once I tone down the sweetness. I don’t have a Wurlitzer VI, but am fairly certain I’ve seen Steve Nathan post about his go-to. Perhaps he’ll chime in.

• Like 2

Here for the gear.

16 minutes ago, jejefunkyman said:

Yes this is also my guess, and why I'm pretty much attracted by it 🙂

Yes the Mac version is much better to my ears than the iPad version. Also organist and pianist Frank Montis has designed some really nice presets that you can add on cheaply. They’ve become my go to presets for a lot of the Rhodes stuff I record. 

You should look up some of forumite Steve Nathan’s posts about the Wurly. He’s tried numerous ones over the years. Here’s a link to one:

Sorry I see Drawback already mentioned this. Search it out anyway. Steve’s post make for interesting reading. 

• Like 1
Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

Yes I've heard the Frank Montis demo, and they sound indeed really nice. Exactly the Rhodes tone I'm looking for. Do you have to pay in addition to get them? 

I will check the Wurly posts, thanks for the hint 🙂 But this AcousticSample version sounds really great. I'm currently listening to the demos...

I don't use wurli much.  For Rhodes I bought scarbee's EP-88.  It was between that one and Soniccouture's Canterbury Suitcase, I was resolved to get the one that went on sale first and that was EP-88 :)   Not sure if you need full Kontakt though.  Since then I got five Soniccouture libraries in a big bundle sale and they are impressive, so I have no doubt that CS would be too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jejefunkyman said:

Yes I've heard the Frank Montis demo, and they sound indeed really nice. Exactly the Rhodes tone I'm looking for. Do you have to pay in addition to get them? 

I will check the Wurly posts, thanks for the hint 🙂 But this AcousticSample version sounds really great. I'm currently listening to the demos...

I think franks presets come as part of the Matrix add on for €19??

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

I once owned a decent Wurly and I've played Rhodes pianos from cherry condition to Cat Coffin™. I find Logic's versions to be ample and easily tweaked. The effects options are plentiful, so I can get both growls and sweet tones easily.

Having used Autosampler since it was a Redmatica item, my best advice would be to plan for a sufficient memory load. Set the various parameters high and let it crank away. You'll have to develop a feel for the process. Its time-consuming and your first few tries won't make the grade. No kidding, set aside several HOURS. Vacuum, walk the dog, etc. while it renders. The "Jeopardy" theme will be on a loop in the air.   

On the plus side, you'll (semi-) quickly learn how to set it for your playing style. Most of us don't need the delicacy of a butterfly landing on a key, so the high and low sensitivities will become clear soon enough. Also, a note of caution: you'll probably want a couple of meticulous dry versions, but effected versions definitely have a place. Once you get a handle on it, those will reveal themselves readily. Set aside a large box of gigabytes for 'em.              

Autosampler earns its keep. I used it to preserve the hearts of a couple of dying synths and a pair that were going into deserving newbie hands. I stumbled with a few patches, but I ended up with about 300 serious keepers. My EXS24 library (now called Sampler) is quite beefy and its translated seamlessly from Logic v.8 to the present. Consider it for layered synth patches, too. It'll pay off to a meaningful degree. 

• Like 2

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

I love my keyscape they have a lot of variations of Rhodes,  Vintage Vibe, and Wurly.   I understand the OP saying about some Rhodes sound being too real.   Since getting into keyboards I've had a few and always seems the ones with effects that model famous sounds from recordings I like the most so getting libraries don't always have the effects to put that off.   In general I find I like the sound of the Sparkle top Rhode samples and samples that are on the bright side because to me they sound best when applying effects to them.   

Got most of ‘em (maybe almost all) and I’d go for the OrangeTreeSamples Famous E and the AcousticSamples Wurlie if I’d have to keep full Kontakt out of the picture.
But I looooooove Purgatory Creek. 
You don’t like the Pianoteq electrics, which is a shame as I really dig them, but maybe have a look at the AAS Lounge Lizard EP4. And I hate to say it, but Waves have some fine ones too. 

Actually Scarbee EP-88 only needs the free Kontakt player to run, so it's ok to me.

I listened to the OrangeTreeSamples Famous E demos, and it sounds nice but I think I still favor Scarbee. It sounds more pure to my ears.

As for Logic's Autosampler, I'm still wandering if it is worth the time and effort. But I'd be for sure very happy to have my SV2 and VC Rhodes and Wurlis available as software versions on the Mac 🙂

7 hours ago, jejefunkyman said:

I listened to the OrangeTreeSamples Famous E demos, and it sounds nice but I think I still favor Scarbee. It sounds more pure to my ears.

They are different. EP-88 is a sampled 88 Stage model, Famous "E" is a sampled 73 Suitcase model. Both sound excellent and are my go to Rhodes plug ins.

For Wurlitzer, I use e-Instruments Session Keys Electric W

https://e-instruments.com/shop/instruments/pianos-keys/session-keys-electric-w/

Everything running in Kontakt 7

:nopity:

The Famous E story is pretty interesting. Modded by Eddy Reynolds and essentially a one-of-a-kind instrument. The heavyweight LA producers would book sessions based on its availability (according to what I've read online anyway!). I have both the Famous E and the Scarbee, they're very different so they make a good team! I don't believe they've addressed the issue of the effects not kicking in until new notes are received though.

I simply can't imagine that there is a better library than Acoustic Samples, VReeds for Wurly. I would give Acoustic Samples Wurli a close second and Soniccouture Broken Wurly a close third. VTines, by Acoustic Samples is my favorite Rhodes. It's an added expense, and not necessarily a small one, but I run all my EP samples though the Fender Twin Amplitube plugin by IkMultimedia. It makes a big difference, INMHO.

28 minutes ago, zephonic said:

Keyscape

That's right, the "LA Custom E" Rhodes is an Eddy Reynolds modded Rhodes like the Famous E. They probably sound very similar. The only issue I see is that in order to obtain that Rhodes you need to take another bunch of keyboards along with it!

• Like 1

I have a Mojo61 (great Rhodes), Scarbee EP88, Kontakt Scarbee, and a number of others. You know, I keep coming back to old Lounge Lizard. I dunno why, but I love the interface, and I can more immediately get a tone that sits in the mix. Hasn’t been updated in a long time though. Haven’t tried keyscape.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?